Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Staging question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Staging question

I'm a noob when it comes to drag racing, but I'm interested in it and I want to learn. When cars are staged right before the tree goes green and they are revving and hitting what sounds like a rev-limiter, what is that? I know its not the rev limiter up high because it only sounds like the car is revving at 3000rpm's or so, but it sure sounds like a rev limiter! Could someone shed some light on this please?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Mine sounds like that when using a Launch controller. You can set the upper RPM limit where you want to launch. When it is activated, I can push the gas pedal to the floor and it will only rev to what I have it set to. So it is a rev limiter...just not at the redline.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

oh ok, yeah it definately sounded the same as a car hitting the rev limiter at the redline just at a much lower RPM.

So how do you turn the launch controller off when the light goes green? Is there a switch you flip? Also, if you're using a trans break does that use a switch that you flip when the light goes green as well? If so are the two normally wired into the same switch or very close by so you can flip them both at the same time?

Thanks for the answers!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

I have a manual trans and run mine off of a momentary switch on my shifter. I installed it a couple months ago and haven't ran it at the track yet. Some manual guys run it off of the one of the clutch pedal switches as well. Not sure how they set it up on the auto transmissions though.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

What your hearing is called a two-step, its a way to make your launches more consistent and easier. For guys with a trans-brake the two-step is activated by the trans brake button so when you stage the car and activate the trans brake the two-step is also activated and all you have to do is put the pedal on the floor, and the two-step limits the rpm to your desired amount and you let off the button to launch.

Guys not using a trans brake and a automatic usually have a button on the brake pedal so after they stage they depress the pedal and button with thier foot and put the pedal to the floor so they dont have to worry about trying to keep the rpm the same during staging and waiting to launch. This make launches easier to perform consistently when going off the foot brake.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot guys! I did some research on the two-step and I get it now.

I have another question now. I understand what a trans brake is and how it locks the transmission, but for guys without the transmission brake that hold their car at the line with the foot brake, are the stock brakes strong enough to hold a car thats got a 4000 or so stall converter revving to 4k or so at the line with a two-step with and 400 or 500hp?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

I have another question now. I understand what a trans brake is and how it locks the transmission, but for guys without the transmission brake that hold their car at the line with the foot brake, are the stock brakes strong enough to hold a car thats got a 4000 or so stall converter revving to 4k or so at the line with a two-step and 400 or 500hp?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AGray89

I have another question now. I understand what a trans brake is and how it locks the transmission, but for guys without the transmission brake that hold their car at the line with the foot brake, are the stock brakes strong enough to hold a car thats got a 4000 or so stall converter revving to 4k or so at the line with a two-step and 400 or 500hp?
Just because you have a 4k stall doesn't mean you can bring it up to 4k "footbraking" it (holding the brakes), unless something is wrong with the converter.

Normally, depending on the weight of the car, gears, size stall, and etc. you can bring them up to (The highest I've ever got mine without rolling through is 3100RPMS) is about 2800-3300.

There we're guys who would put a two step switch on the brake pedal at bring the converter up to around 2500 or so, but in bracket racing it's not legal. Unless you run SuperPro like me, then you'd just be on your own if you're trying to footbrake in that class

Quick Reply: Staging question