Sponsored by:

Minitub vs. tire size?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minitub vs. tire size?

Maybe I'll get more answers here.

I'm looking at finally minitubbing my car this winter and going bigger than the 28x10.5's.

Has anyone fit a 31.0'' x 10.5'' - 15''W in there?

Right now I'm running a 10" wheel with a 5.5BS (Rear is shortened) and it's just about flush with the quarters. I was looking at going with a 12" wheel with a 3.5BS with a 31.0'' x 10.5'' - 15''W if I can get it to fit.

Any opinions?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 PM
9 Second Club

look at your avatar and you want to put a "W" on there. Slap yourself please. lol
Old 12-02-2010, 11:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
look at your avatar and you want to put a "W" on there. Slap yourself please. lol
Gotta be consistent when you're bracket racing!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might need to do a full tub with a 31" slick a they can grow a good bit on the top end. You can go with a 29.5x10.5 true ten five tire on a 12" rim with minitubs I believe.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:51 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You're not going to be able to fit a 3.5 inch backspace 12 inch wide rim, that I am 100% on unless you are back 1/2ing the car. If you want to run a 12 inch wide rim, you'll have to go with a 6 inch backspace. The 31 10.5W tire, problem is it's going to hit the spring, and the control arm pretty bad (I've looked into this big time for what I want to do) and unless you notch the framerail, you won't be able to get the back low enough, unless you like the redneck *** in the air look.

a 29.5 S or W will fit, with a minitub, and if you convert to coil overs, and the control arms, you will have to run the style with the bushing in the rod end either with a big bolt removing the bushing so you can shove them in as far as possible, or just make a spacer to only protrude on one side. Or, relocate the control arms inward, and put the shocks on the inside of the frame rail (coil overs)

Problem you'll run into with the 31 inch tire is the carcass width. I'm trying to pull the tires in so they are up in the fender right now, so I can really slam the car on the ground, and a 29.5W was what I wanted to start with since I can run up to a 33x10.5W in the class I want to run.... and what I am seeing, is that the control arm and spring are the first 2 trouble makers LOL.

I'm also going to put a full 44 inch tub in just so I don't have any issues with the tire hitting the factory tub... because once you start getting that big, and try to lower the car the factory outer tub is in the way too.

If you are back 1/2ing the car, you can do whatever you want... but to keep the stock suspension, you will be limited. a 315 radial fits, and you can go a little taller then that, but width wise that is pretty much the max from what it looks like to me, if you want to pull them in. If you're going to really open up the whole wheel well, I mean top, width front to back etc, you probably can do whatever you want, but that's gonna probably look pretty screwy.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look up Ls1queen, on their white t/a they had a 3.5 bs on a 12 rim, but they did do some pretty radical fab on the rear end mounting point brackets.

Quick Reply: Minitub vs. tire size?