Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Crash Bar and Frame Horns

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Front Crash Bar and Frame Horns

I have been considering removing my front crash bar all together and cutting the frame horns off the nose of the car. My question is...without the crash bar and the plastic support, will these long camaro bumpers hold there shape and stay secure? Would I be better off keeping the horns and building a lightweight aluminum support just to maintain the shape of the bumper?

My car has an lt1 nose on it, so I dont know if that makes a difference vs the 98+ nose which seems to be a little shallower.

Any of you guys have pics of your supports? I know everyone says Burkhart....and don't get me wrong....it's a nice piece, but I'm not looking to mount a rad or fuel cell up front...so for the price, its a little overkill for me when I can just build something....

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut my frame horns off,boxed them shut and bent a hoop and welded it to the frame I boxed in. P.S. use some gussets on the top and bottom of the bar.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I should have my car in the chassis shop within the next few months with any luck, I'll have to make sure lots of pictures get taken. We're going pretty far with the cutting/rebuilding, but essentially what you did is what we're doing, just going alot farther back in the body then most do
Old 01-29-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

On the last 3 F body cars I have had I took the bumper support out of and secured the bottom of the bumper with some of those alum. strips you can get at lowes. Studderin did the same thing I did so look at his build thread. I have been 150 with it like that multiple times and never had any problems.

Quick Reply: Front Crash Bar and Frame Horns