Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red line synthetic "shockproof" rear fluid, come inside !

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:59 AM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red line synthetic "shockproof" rear fluid, come inside !

I have a SI 2000 camaro and ran across a thread and though I would add this to a long list of small things that i hope to add up to something ...im just wondering if its okay to run this since its synthetic in a 2000 ten bolt...also read someone only used a quart....will this kill anything ? give me some comments on this stuff here is the link i was going to go with the "superlight" since it says it about a 75w/90 and thats what i run anyway....THANKS...also anything else i can do to the rear while im back there like different berings and such ?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=42&pcid=8
Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 AM

also read of a couple people running oil such as 0w/30 and such at the track...i was wondering how much this honestly would help and what i would have to do to run this all the time ? such as maybe oil change after 1000 miles or can it be done at all ? Thanks !
Old 03-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

With a 10 bolt I wouldn't spend any $ on it... put a good rear in the car and then you can go with micro polished gears, lightweight stuff all over the place, and a spool so you don't have to worry about the oil messing with the posi unit.

As for gains.. I don't know. Car would have to be absolutely 100% before I think you could measure any gains with that kind of stuff. I tnever hurts to do... just hard to measure what it actually got ya. As for engine oil, careful with that, run what the motor's bearing clearances were set for or you could hurt something.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, I use it in my 10 bolt and my G35 no issues and I have about 30 passes on my old motor a stock LS1 no slicks, diff. rebuilt at 155K (see stuff below) and about 10 passes with my new set (see below) up making 380RWHP.
If you as I just don't currently have the money for a 9in or 12 bolt there are some cheap things you can do to keep the 10 bolt alive.
Get a diff girdle $150
Have your axel tubes welded on $50
Get after market axels $250 (usally about 30% stronger) especailly if yours already have lots of miles on them.
Use the RedLine shockproof.
and stay away from slicks
Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 AM

^^^thanks for your imput but it wasent really about the rear lasting....as far as why i havent swapped to a 12 bolt my philosophy is if the ten bolt lives....use it because i belive it will drain less power then a 12 bolt.....when i DO go 12 bolt i will have gundrilled axles...lightweight ring and pinion coated....aluminum spool...drag brakes....and maybe ceramic bearings

i have no problem spending money on my car (not to mention the redline **** is only 13 bucks a quart)

My questions were
1. is it safe with the 2000 style posi unit to run this since its synthetic?
2. Is it okay to run just 1 quart instead of 1.75 or 1.5 or whatever it uses?

not worried about major gains but every little bit counts
Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Race your car!

Careful with gun drilled axles. Don't do anything less then a 35 slpine, they don't last/hold up very well. If you want to do gun drilled, best thing to do would be to just go 40 spline right away, never have to worry about those breaking, fwiw.

I think you will be fine with a little less fluid.. think about how many cars have a leak at the rear end and keep driving on it forever LOL. they're more then a 1/2 qt down
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 PM

lol true that my stock rearend dripped a little puddle in the pan when i pulled the cover off for the gear install HAHA ! .....so you think 1 quart will do just fine ? i forgot how much i put in it before i think it was 1.75ish...also do i still run posi additive with this oil ?....what rear fluid do YOU run JL ?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Race your car!

I've been running a synthetic amsoil I picked up at a local parts store, 75w if I remember correctly... last year the car was out that's what I ran. Spool in the rear though, no posi additive needed.

I'd still run a post additive if you have one in the car... everyone I know that has tried NOT using it, ended up having issues.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM

i think im just going to run a quart of the redline 75w/90 shockproof and posi additive....also going to give a few people a call about some 0w/20 or 0w/30 iv talked to a few people and they said running the 0w/20 mobil 1 and leaving it a quart low gave them a 10th in the 1/8th mile....thats insane if true !
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Race your car!

I would NEVER run the engine a quart low. These things like to pump alot of oil and send alot to the top end.. running it a qt low is going to put you into a dangerous situation of the pickup running out of oil.....

I don't care what they "picked up" from it... if you want to try the thinner oil go ahead, just make sure the pressure is o.k.... but a qt low? Absolutely not.

The rear I think you will be fine with 1 qt and the posi additive, that will put you over a qt anyway... probably enough.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have ran the redline oil in the rear of my GN and in my camaro. No issues at all just made sure I got some of the GM posi additive. No mixing either, full redline synthetic.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 PM

yeah the whole thinner oil/ qt. low thing is way to sketchy for me haha....but i am going to get some of the redline oil

Quick Reply: Red line synthetic "shockproof" rear fluid, come inside !