Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 on DR's and Bias ply (stock 16's) please come in

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 on DR's and Bias ply (stock 16's) please come in

I have been up in the air lately on what tires to get for my car for my stock 16's which I want to keep, I dont want to buy 15's. I have searched and still cant come to a decision on what would be best for my setup. I have heard pros and cons on both types on m6 cars.
My main concern is if I put cheater slicks on there that I will dead hook destroy my transmission. But others say that the dr's are the tires that are destructive to the drivetrain.
My mods are in the sig but most important is probably that I have an s60. Any suggestions or if you have results to post it would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

go with bias plys, i did high 1.4s on et street bias plys on my 16s a few years ago. a good drag radial will break **** and not work as well.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you seriously want to race the car, you need to leave off at a VERY high rpm. I dear say limiter, but your going to tailor that to your driving.

I do not see a TQ arm relocation Cross Member, nor a aftermarket TQ arm.

YOU NEED THIS!

By not running it, you risk breaking the tailshaft of the trans if not worse and for the small cost, its cheaper, safer, stronger.

I was in your shoes 2 years ago, and basically I have the m6 now as that is what I can afford and have bought parts to work around it. I suspect a RMVB 4L80e in my future but that depends on funds which are tight and will cont. to be so.

IMO if your not trying to break any records or point racing. Just go out and have fun. IF you want to really race, then you need to make some sacrifices.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Launching!

I havent got the chance to get around to the tq arm yet and will have to research more about this relocation thing, last thing I want to do is start hacking up the s60 if that is required.

I guess the bias ply's are the way to go then. I have buddies with m6's that run drag radials with way more power then me and dont seem to have problems.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
I havent got the chance to get around to the tq arm yet and will have to research more about this relocation thing, last thing I want to do is start hacking up the s60 if that is required.

I guess the bias ply's are the way to go then. I have buddies with m6's that run drag radials with way more power then me and dont seem to have problems.
Well a TQ arm and relocation kit should be #1 on your list of stuff to do. Regardless. Trying to get away with a stock TQ arm is hack, they do break and they can break a lot of other stuff.

No modification to the rear end should be needed. IF ANYTHING sometimes you modify the TQ arm to the rear. Case in point BMR TQ ARM to Moser 12 bolt like I have.

As for your friends, unless I could look at all their info, car, mods, results, conditions etc etc. There is a big difference between not having problems and running no where near it's capability.

I am sure others will chime in, but that's my 2 cents from exp.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Launching!

I guess you are right about the potential thing. My buddy is putting around 450whp in an 03 GTO with h/c/i, drag bags, Ls7 clutch, Nitto dr's and barely gets a 12.8 out of it.

I just checked out the tourque arm and relocation and I think I will spend the money there before tires. If I have to run on street tires for now and not push it hard then so be it. I have never tracked the car and need to start off slow anyway.
I thank you for the advice on the arm and glad you did. I was not aware that they could save your trans. I was especially worried with just the Stage 3 that may trans was in jeopardy but never thought about replacing/relocating the tourque arm.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have stock gto suspension yea i know diff car but i run 26x10.5x16 et streets no wheel hop wat so ever and i do feel it does absorb alot of energy from the drivetrain the releave the launch, my opinion tho
Old 04-06-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
I guess you are right about the potential thing. My buddy is putting around 450whp in an 03 GTO with h/c/i, drag bags, Ls7 clutch, Nitto dr's and barely gets a 12.8 out of it.
WOW, I can't see having it (HP), if it is useless. A torque arm off the tranny is very helpful.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I would go bias ply. And really the car shouldnt dead hook with a m6. adjust air pressure so you get a slight spin, Best results with a m6 launching is 6k+ launch rpm. make sure you have a clutch that can hold the abuse, and a blow proof bellhousing is nice insurance.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radials break ****..trust me