Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper/Best way to set up PCV system ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper/Best way to set up PCV system ?

Iv seen this done a few differnt ways, some with catch can and filters off valve covers, a few around here without catch can and just restricted hose with filters off valve covers....and a select few with two catch cans....what is the best way to run this PCV system ?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Cheap way: metco breather in place of the oil fill cap, and cap the entire pcv and fresh air line off going to the Tb.

Expensive way, breather can and vent it to the air that way.

More expensive way, and way to go with a race engine, is a vacuum pump.

Either way put a small piece of foam over the filter, clean if often and the engine bay won't get oil all over it, and you will have zero oil in the intake.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

^^ agree. with the new valve covers I got, running to a vented catch can.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:41 PM

does the vaccume pump create the most horsepower ? i heard different ways of running the pcv can create more horsepower ?....and anyone hav ea link to a good vaccume pump ? lol stock/race motor
Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

You really dont need a vaccume pump on a stock motor. delete the pcv and vent to the atomsphere will work just fine.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a complete LSx vacuum pump system down to the nut and bolt I will sell you. Very nice kit. It's ready to ship and install. The only reason I took it off is because of "special plans" for my car that won't work with the pump.

Believe me when I say this thing WORKS. You can feel the extra power and I'm not joking, either.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

higgs boson - what does a kit like that run, pm me a price if you wouldnt mind.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteLTone
higgs boson - what does a kit like that run, pm me a price if you wouldnt mind.
common man ? haha dibs

Higgs you have a PM
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

00blacka4- i wasnt inquiring to buy his specific pump, just curious what an lsx setup like that ususally runs. im not in the market for one yet, just looking into a future build.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 AM

im just wondering what that kit weighs...also wondering how much power i would really get on a stock ls1 build....
Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

Would also wonder how it mount and be able to use the factory acccessorys.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

It mounts on the passenger side in the head and runs a toothed belt around a different pulley you put on the tensioner.

Weighs about 12-15 pounds, and you can feel the difference in power, my educated guess is 20-25 HP. Some guys claim 30, which is easily possible on a high horsepower motor. This kit is built to be daily driven and is very reliable in that respect. It is also adjustable so you can measure and specify how much vacuum it pulls. It really is pretty cool.

On a stock LS1 build it's not as much about the 20 HP as it is about cleaning up your combustion process. You seal up your crankcase, remove the PCV, etc and it all contributes to a better running motor.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM

i just dont understand, if it gives you 20 horsepower why doesent everyone do it ?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 PM

I talked to a few people, starting with GZ performance...that makes a very nice system for the ls1...said on my car it should get me in the neighborhood of 17 horsepower, also told me to get a vaccume guage so i could tell how much vaccume i was pulling, on teh street he said 10 to 12, at the track up to 15 but dont get greedy...

next i read a thread madman commented on and gave him a call, he said they put vacume pumps on every motor they build...and told me it should get me 3-5% ...which is about 10-15, so that made me happy

The last person i talked to was Matt at TSP, he told me that they dont see any results with vaccume pumps, under 5 horsepower was his guess....which sucks i was hearing such good things he told me they dont even run one on their racecar

with some more reading i found out the GZ kit weighs 12.5lbs, and can be mounted on the passanger side LS head where the EGR was....i told the guy at GZ that i have only the alternator on a shortbelt and AC and he said he would just give me a pully that mounts via crank bolt and runs up to the pump....

NEED MORE INFO
Old 05-05-2011, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Pretty interesting. How much do they run?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 PM

for my specific kit without accesories about 650 with the ls1 specific stuff....
Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know what you will pick up with a stock motor, but generally a race engine that's got a looser piston ring gap (nitrous motor, or a FI motor that's running a good amount of power, or an all out n/a motor for that matter) will gain from adding the vacuum pump because it helps with ring seal and helps keep oil out of the combustion chambers.

Some will argue that a PCV does the same thing, and it does to a small extent, but at the cost of putting oil into the chambers thru the intake and comtaminating the intake charge. Sure, catch cans help stop that but none of them stop it completely. Only way to really stop it, is not hook the intake up to the crankcase... this works 100% of the time.

Reason you don't see alot of people put one on a stock motor, or a stock internal motor like you're doing, is the 650 to 800 bucks it will cost you to put it on. That's enough money to get a camshaft, springs, pushrods, and if you can do the install yourself, alot more power then a vacuum pump will give you.

Or, it's almost enough to get a basic low end nitrous kit that will ABSOLUTELY make more power.

If you are going for an all out stock internal effort, then I would put one on yes. I wouldn't expect to be able to "feel" the power gain, but I would expect to see a 10, maybe 15 hp increase. If the cost is worth it to get that type of a power gain then by all means.

Vacuum pump's also help prevent oil leaks, as there's no pressure trying to force the oil out all the seals too, fwiw.

The vacuum pump will, also later on when you build a more agressive motor be a bigger help then it is now, also something to consider.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 PM

thanks JL !
Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Vacuum pump's also help prevent oil leaks, as there's no pressure trying to force the oil out all the seals too, fwiw.
The vacuum also can pull dirt in past the seals. Especially old ones prone to leaking.

When NHRA Pro Stock bike rider Matt Smith was still Sportsman, he used to run a vacuum pump, and install the seals backwards to prevent that. Of course, when you do that you HAVE to have the pump on all the time or oil will leak out!

Al
Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by T6Rocket
The vacuum also can pull dirt in past the seals. Especially old ones prone to leaking.

When NHRA Pro Stock bike rider Matt Smith was still Sportsman, he used to run a vacuum pump, and install the seals backwards to prevent that. Of course, when you do that you HAVE to have the pump on all the time or oil will leak out!

Al
That's why the unit is adjustable. You don't want to pull too much vacuum. On a drag bike he's probably pulling all he can.

Quick Reply: Proper/Best way to set up PCV system ?