Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Delay Without A Delay Box?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Delay Without A Delay Box?

Anyone here know how to delay a launch with a delay box? I'm thinking that I may need to do this if my car launches hard enough and wheelies, and the class I'll be running does not allow delay boxes or electronic devices...
Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomstark
Anyone here know how to delay a launch with a delay box? I'm thinking that I may need to do this if my car launches hard enough and wheelies, and the class I'll be running does not allow delay boxes or electronic devices...
As in a .400 pro tree .500 pro tree or .500 full tree? If it's a .400 pro tree I'll bet you'll have a hard enough time trying to get a decent light without any delay.

You can get adjustable transbrake buttons from Biondo though.

http://www.biondoracing.com/TransBrake.shtml#TBB-DO
Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The adjustable transbrake button is one way to do it. You could do something with the tune in the car too with the timing vs rpm I'd think to simulate that effect. Pull it WAY back off the line, and pull the fuel back too so it doesn't flood the motor to get the car ot leave really soft... then once it's over X amount have it come back in. If you're leaving off a 2 step at way 2200 rpm.. have the timing in at 2200, once the engine hits 3000 pull the timing way down into the basement, then at 4200 or something like that, bring it all back in along with the fuel.. just make sure that you don't have it dropping back into the no timing point of the RPM band on the shifts.

I'm sure, if you play with that you can simulate the delay box effect, get the initial launch good, then have the car die, and then come back after a little distance/time. Be pretty easy to do that with the tune I'd think.

If you had a timing puller in the car, you could put that on a push button too, and just hold the button until you get to a certain marker on the track and then let go of it too, try something like that.

There's alot of ways to do what you are trying to do.. just depends on what you want to try to experiment with....

What are you trying to get the car to do?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tomstark
I'm thinking that I may need to do this if my car launches hard enough and wheelies,
Front Travel Limiters will solve that.....
Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a drag car, I want it to wheelie (I won't be making enough power right away to get it to the bumper). It's a .500 full tree. Alright, thanks guys. This should be enough info to get the car to do what I want if need be. Although, I'm not sure if I'll be able to use an adjustable trans brake button.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can use a transbrake button, you can use an adjustable one. Unless the rules specificially say what type of transbrake button you can use...

That's only going to really help with the reaction time though. It's not going ot act like a throttle stop/delay box like I think you're after.

Quick Reply: How To Delay Without A Delay Box?