Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOL How can I get this car lighter????? PIC INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I was gonna do that summit seats what one were you thinking of?
I would like to get a seat that its easy to mount. I see that some guys have to drill through their floor blahh
Racecraft makes bolt in seat mounts for Kirkeys. I think they work with the JAZ seat as well, but you'd have to double check with them.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would anyone know like how much lighter it would be to have weld prostars (15x10 & 15x3.5) with 275-50-15, than the 17" 10 spoke ss wheels (sumitumos)?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM
CARTEK Racing

wow... That is a heap...

Weight reduction is one thing, but that just looks like a junk yard salvage car. **** just carelessly ripped out, rust, random wires, screws...

Ugh...

Is this why any car that has weight removed is considered by some to be a gutted out shell?

I'd rather keep my car at 3300lbs with me in it and go slower than have it look like that...
Old 07-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
wow... That is a heap...

Weight reduction is one thing, but that just looks like a junk yard salvage car. **** just carelessly ripped out, rust, random wires, screws...

Ugh...

Is this why any car that has weight removed is considered by some to be a gutted out shell?

I'd rather keep my car at 3300lbs with me in it and go slower than have it look like that...
Yea, I am feeling the same about that.

Also there are some things that can be done to get it looking "cleaner" and not for too much money. Also if money to be spent, things like light weight brakes, ABS!, P/S Pump!, cutting some un needed metal, seam sealer. 1" hole saw...

Potato Chip Racecar we have here!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

wow... That is a heap...

Ugh...

Lol, seeing that I only paid $700 for a complete and running ls1 camaro, It doesn't bother me 1 bit to gut it like i have. If I paid $5 -15k for a camaro like most everyone on this board probably has, than i would of gone a different route to make my car faster. Also looks don't win races.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

jeez man Im glad you got your flame suit on lol...maybe some dont realize that this is a work in progress? And I dont know of ANY project cars that look "pretty" while going through its transformantion...hell one would think my garage is a chop shop right now but when its all done...she will be an *** stomping beauty queen.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I'm in the same boat with my lt1. I got it pretty cheap, and since it's already beat up, I don't really care what it looks like right now. I just want to get it done and on the strip!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

I just laugh at other people's stupidity. I know of alot of people who wish they could have a mid 12 sec car for a JUST $2,000.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:42 PM
8 Second Club

wow... That is a heap...

Ugh...

my thoughts exactly
Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The whole thing, with a 700 dollar investment.. the thing that comes to mind, would be that corvette that Hot Rod cut up ,and just kept cutting on until it wouldn't even work (chassis wise) anymore....

I am in the same boat, if it looks like a pile, or worse something a ricer kid would do, it's not for me either.

Weight reduction is fine. Refabbing parts out of lighter material is fine. But when you're done you have to put enough of it back together to keep it looking like a car. I can make a case for no carpet as it is a fire hazard, if the car catches fire it's going to burn, and hot/fast... but other then that I can't justify leaving a car in a gutted state like that. It looks theft recovery to me. Here's an example, of what I find acceptable, please feel free to comment:

Dash 1/2 apart like that: No
Fiberglass dash tastefully installed: Yes!
Missing door panels: No
Carbon sheet, or alum door panels, painted to match the interior of the car: Yes!
Cutting stuff out, and leaving it looking like someone took a hack saw to it: No
Cutting brackets off, then smoothing the metal underneath and repainting: Yes!

I mean that's me. I try, to do this type of stuff tastefully. It's not always possible, or easy.. but in the long run it does, look 100 times better.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The whole thing, with a 700 dollar investment.. the thing that comes to mind, would be that corvette that Hot Rod cut up ,and just kept cutting on until it wouldn't even work (chassis wise) anymore....

I am in the same boat, if it looks like a pile, or worse something a ricer kid would do, it's not for me either.

Weight reduction is fine. Refabbing parts out of lighter material is fine. But when you're done you have to put enough of it back together to keep it looking like a car. I can make a case for no carpet as it is a fire hazard, if the car catches fire it's going to burn, and hot/fast... but other then that I can't justify leaving a car in a gutted state like that. It looks theft recovery to me. Here's an example, of what I find acceptable, please feel free to comment:

Dash 1/2 apart like that: No
Fiberglass dash tastefully installed: Yes!
Missing door panels: No
Carbon sheet, or alum door panels, painted to match the interior of the car: Yes!
Cutting stuff out, and leaving it looking like someone took a hack saw to it: No
Cutting brackets off, then smoothing the metal underneath and repainting: Yes!

I mean that's me. I try, to do this type of stuff tastefully. It's not always possible, or easy.. but in the long run it does, look 100 times better.

I hear ya, but I am not a big person on looks. I know everyone has there ways on how they do things like this, but this is how I have chose to do mine. I am still not completely finished with this, so this is not how it will always look.

I also thought the point of drag racing was to see who has the fastest time and not about the looks of the interior of the car.....But that's just the way I see it I guess.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Haters gonna hate. You know your goal, stick with it. It'd be totally different if you were trying to make it look perfect, etc, but when you are specifically doing this to go fast, not look good, then it's a different story. What I think is stupid is when people buy mint condition low mileage cars and tear into them and spend twice the amount as they would if they had just bought a v6 roller and done it for half the amount and have the same result. Opinions are like ********, get over it.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by McNasty
Haters gonna hate. You know your goal, stick with it. It'd be totally different if you were trying to make it look perfect, etc, but when you are specifically doing this to go fast, not look good, then it's a different story. What I think is stupid is when people buy mint condition low mileage cars and tear into them and spend twice the amount as they would if they had just bought a v6 roller and done it for half the amount and have the same result. Opinions are like ********, get over it.
To the T

Seeing I have 192k on my car, that's another reason it doesn't bother me either. Lol
Old 07-20-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to each their own man. as long as your happy thats all that matters...
Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by philsblwnz28
Here is what I'm working with

Don't have a pool so I made one

Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by McNasty
In the real world of racing there is a difference in making a car look like a heap and winning races and actually not even trying. This is the example of not trying.

Just because people are not saying it to your face, does not mean it's not being said.

For extremely little money you can actually make the car look mean, not hacked.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Once again, looks don't win races. So what's the difference if I "hacked" up my car and ran 11's or if I didn't "hack" up my car and run 11's?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by philsblwnz28
Once again, looks don't win races. So what's the difference if I "hacked" up my car and ran 11's or if I didn't "hack" up my car and run 11's?
Tons but we can already see it's not going to change your mind on this car so no need to go further. GL with it.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thats kinda why I put my carpet back in my car. I actualy got it down to 20lbs! Not bad huh? Im still trying to figure out what I want to do with the car. I still have all the seats out but driver seat.
So much uncertanty in this ecconomy I just cant throw any $ at it for lightweight seats or ANYTHING right now.
Some of the stuff I see guys doing with cutting things up is only geared to a full time track car IMO.
Right now the car is at 3200lbs at 1/8 tank of gas without me in it. Not to bad for a 3600stalled street/strip car imo.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 AM
CARTEK Racing

Haters gonna hate?

Dude, you are clueless.

You got the car for $700? No wonder it looks like a $500 junk yard find.

Looks don't win races... that is true, no arguments there. I have seen plenty of cars that looks like they should be crushed run some pretty fat times.

The difference is, you seem to be proud that you took a normal looking car with high milage and wear and made it look like a complete piece of ****, instead of taking a piece of **** and building it up.

You are going backwards and are proud of it.

Im sure there are people who live in a single trailer, shut on their front lawn and have 3 cars with missing doors sitting on concrete block in front the of the trailer as well... Does not mean that it is something they SHOULD be proud off. Maybe in Mumbi India... lol

I never said this car will not meet your goal, I just said it it looks like a total piece of ****. And it appears to me that those with experience and longevity on this forum seem to agree.

Quick Reply: LOL How can I get this car lighter????? PIC INSIDE