Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange SA or QA1 R fronts, stock springs or 300lb?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Strange SA or QA1 R fronts, stock springs or 300lb?

Hey gang

I'm putting the suspension together soon for a new project (sig). Looking into either the strange or qa1-r fronts, but the cars street driven all the time and I'm wanting the better ride that won't hurt track performance too much. Will the car ride that much better with stock springs over a 300lb front spring? Also, can I adapt the stock springs to work on both of these shocks? I know that BMR makes the spring perches to use with QA1s, do they work for the strange shocks? Tried a search, didn't find anything concrete. Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Photochop
Hey gang

I'm putting the suspension together soon for a new project (sig). Looking into either the strange or qa1-r fronts, but the cars street driven all the time and I'm wanting the better ride that won't hurt track performance too much. Will the car ride that much better with stock springs over a 300lb front spring? Also, can I adapt the stock springs to work on both of these shocks? I know that BMR makes the spring perches to use with QA1s, do they work for the strange shocks? Tried a search, didn't find anything concrete. Thanks
I run a Comp R front what is essentially a LT1 front spring I wanna say its 312 or 315#. Compared to a stock shock it drives a little funny at highway speed. A little "wobble" i can feel in the seat of my pants. Kinda annoying but got used to it. I have not been to the track in 2 years and might toss the stock stuff back in until I get a chance to do so.

Been on the fence on this one. Also wont be putting miles on parts. We will see.

I also run a 10 way QA1 in the rear as a reference.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 09-12-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Hmm ok. Wonder if the wobble could be from something else? Alignment or something possibly?

I'm trying to keep this fairly budget, probably give the Lakewood 50/50 rear shocks a try first - same as the CE's without the funky adjustment. If they don't work for some reason, I'll get some qa1s or strange for the rear eventually.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest Strange shocks and if you get the direct bolt in shock and use the Hypercoil 300# stock style spring you will have a decent ride still. That is what we recommend for street driven vehicles that see's some track time.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the reply. Are the strange rear shocks that much better than a standard 50/50 shock...or should I try the cheaper ones first?

Could you shoot me a quote when you get a sec on those strange shocks and 300# hypercoils and whatever else I need to put em in - spanner wrench and bearings or whatever too. Also noticed you guys deal Billet Specialties, could you also PM me a price of the 15x10 fbody specific rears as well as 17x11s as well? Still undecided on which I wanna run this car on
Old 09-12-2011, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest going directly with Strange. We have some customers use 50/50 and done well but they plan on upgrading to Strange eventually.

PM sent.

Quick Reply: Strange SA or QA1 R fronts, stock springs or 300lb?