Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to get below 3000 lbs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Local rock qurry scales. I've been weight checking in there for years. My car started at 3430.....oh yea the fog lights are gone too...be better off using a ******* candle then those things anyway.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by joelster
Some people are content with running high 12's, that's your thing. The OP wants to run 10's, you obviously don't have anything to add in this thread.

Drive safe!
Sure he does. He understands when you take everything out of your car that it is gutted........and it is. That's not really an opinion, it's a fact. He's looking for a alternative. It's easy and takes very little skill to take **** out of your car and toss it aside and basically ruin a car. If you want a race car then that's fine, but don't confuse a gutted car with tags to that of a real street car with comfort.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Sure he does. He understands when you take everything out of your car that it is gutted........and it is. That's not really an opinion, it's a fact. He's looking for a alternative. It's easy and takes very little skill to take **** out of your car and toss it aside and basically ruin a car. If you want a race car then that's fine, but don't confuse a gutted car with tags to that of a real street car with comfort.
How much metal did you remove from your car? How much hole-sawing have you done? How much metal trimming have you done? Your car wouldn't take a hit as good as it would when it was stock. Your not fooling me, you just got very creative with your weight loss and took out a lot of hidden weight. That's cool. The "Latch" guy is crying about sitting in Kirkeys that offer 10x the support of a stock seat. Obviously he's never sat in them before.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you shouldnt have to gut your car to run 10's on spray with that cam.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is about 3000lbs flat right now and still has door bars/stock seats/drivers airbag

That is with out buying any light weight parts still need after market suspension/wheels/etc

Like has already been mentioned to run 10s with cam + bottle shouldn't require to much weight reduction.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

How much metal did you remove from your car? How much hole-sawing have you done? How much metal trimming have you done? Your car wouldn't take a hit as good as it would when it was stock. Your not fooling me, you just got very creative with your weight loss and took out a lot of hidden weight. That's cool. The "Latch" guy is crying about sitting in Kirkeys that offer 10x the support of a stock seat. Obviously he's never sat in them before.
Sure I've removed alot of metal threw trimming and hole-sawing. Everything is still very stiff and offers alot more protection than not having nothing. I really don't think impact protection has changed much. Hell I got 1lb out of the coil pack brackets, there is lots of stuff on a car you can get weight out of.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people are content with running high 12's, that's your thing. The OP wants to run 10's, you obviously don't have anything to add in this thread.

Drive safe!

Sir, my car is my daily driver, and I don't have the money to spend getting my stock car I've had for only a couple years in the 10s. If I wanted to drive to work everyday in a tin ******* can with no carpet or a/c then I would do that, but I don't want to. I'd rather have a stock 12 second car that is as comfortable and as safe as anything else on the road than a gutted race car that makes me hate my life.

Look... if the OP wants to hack his car up to pick up a few tenths, it's his car, he can do what he wants. But I hope he realizes that he doesn't need to do that to run 10s with nitrous, and he will have to sacrifice some streetability if he wants to get it under 3,000 lbs.

Hell, just check out the setup that Carter01 has... he's running 9s with just a cam and a 250 shot.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch

Sir, my car is my daily driver, and I don't have the money to spend getting my stock car I've had for only a couple years in the 10s. If I wanted to drive to work everyday in a tin ******* can with no carpet or a/c then I would do that, but I don't want to. I'd rather have a stock 12 second car that is as comfortable and as safe as anything else on the road than a gutted race car that makes me hate my life.
I never said to ditch the carpet or any interior panels. I said remove the sound deadening (under the carpet), some of the metal behind the panels, rear speakers and rear seats. You can do that and then put the carpet back in, and all of the panels back in and it will look bone stock. Yes it will be a little louder.

Originally Posted by Latch
Look... if the OP wants to hack his car up to pick up a few tenths, it's his car, he can do what he wants. But I hope he realizes that he doesn't need to do that to run 10s with nitrous, and he will have to sacrifice some streetability if he wants to get it under 3,000 lbs.

Hell, just check out the setup that Carter01 has... he's running 9s with just a cam and a 250 shot.
The thread isn't titled "How can I get under 3000lbs and not remove anything safetywise or creature comfort wise". He wanted to know how to do it, I pointed him in the direction, you had a problem with that. No biggie.

Take a look at your own car sometime and do a little trimming here and there. Toss all of the excess stuff into a big cardboard box. You'd be surprised how quickly the weight will add up.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure there's some metal and other junk that can come out without losing anything important, but I'm very skeptical that it'll really add up to 400+ lbs.

We must have very different views of what a street car is... for instance I want to add MORE sound deadening to my car, not take away what little there is.

If I wanted a lightweight street/strip car, I'd drop an LS1 in a Fox body before I gutted a super clean rare F-body. But that's just me.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

It's lots of stuff that adds up...not just cutting on stuff. 28#'s by making my own exuahst, 45lb off the crank via clutch&udp, 40-65 lb's for wheels/tires depending on which set I have on the car,!egr crap 5-10lb, carbon hood 21lb saving, 15lb's from a light battery..... lots of misc crap in a car before you ever start cutting on anything. Just those things are 175+lbs
Old 09-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

a carbon hood is really 20 lbs savings wow!! that mean a stock hood would need to be 30 lbs. i was going to say swapping out the rear glass for lexan should save allot, and no safety loss. removing seats is a good temporary weight loss. 2 piece rotors (i like dba) save a good amount of lbs and rotating mass too. pulling the ac will save about 20lbs. a lightweight flywheel. also starting with a car without t tops should help i do believe those cars are lighter.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^^^^ under hood AC is like 34#'s going to a pin on hood raves more like 40-45#s

A roll bar with a good racing fixed seat and legal harness, is safer then the stock belts on the stock seat with airbags. I dont give a crap about the front of the car forward the firewall. it can rip off and the motor go rolling down the road. I want to be IN the cage tightly harnessed in the seat. Whats not safe is having a rollbar with the stock seat and belt for street driving. Hit your head on any of the tubing your need to race the car running 11.50 even at 20-30mph and your gona get fucked up. You cannot hit your head on any tubing in my car with the highback kirkeys, and 5points. I took the stock belts out so you have to wear them.

Im keepin the door for safety street driving. fiberglass doors are not that stong geting Tboned.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

looks gutted. under 3K
heat, PS, PW, PL, wipers, defroster, keyfob, 16" wheels, full exhust

older pic has a fast92 on right now, and its about 150 pounds lighter then these pics last year, and have another 40pounds to get done.

Last edited by studderin; 09-17-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I got mine down to 3190 with 1/4 tank gas.It was all free.
I would say to get below 3200-3150 you would have to spend some money, start hacking metal out of your car, or take out crazy stuff like airbags, door bars and all that.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A sport gold metllic WS6 formula? Just so you know that is a super rare car...please don't gut it. No need to to run 10's
Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya I rembed HPP a few years ago had one like a 98 gold hardtop formal. the guy had that american flag painted WS6 hood. it was like 1 of 40 cars?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmoken
you shouldnt have to gut your car to run 10's on spray with that cam.
Agreed!

OP There is no need at all to gut your car to run 10s with that cam and spray...Full bolt ons, ms3 cam and 150 shot should go well into the 10s without much effort. Is the car a a4 or m6?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Teching In

yeah ive decided not to gut it.... just cant get myself to do it.... im running full manual 4l60 right now with around a 4k converter....

Studderin I read your whole thread on cam only car... wow man sweet ride so much time and effort for what you achieved..
Old 09-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Im going to try to continue to sell it and start with something not so rare.. someone would probly enjoy to have this car and just let it sit or something lol
Old 09-17-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sell the car and drop an LS1 in a notchback Fox body. Under 3,000 lbs all day long without any reductions.

Quick Reply: How hard to get below 3000 lbs?