Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the hell am i doing wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the hell am i doing wrong???

So a little back round 2 years ago i ran my T/A to a 12.8 at 110mph with a 2.0 60ft. Mods at the time where Full exhaust 3.73 gears, stock stall, and street tires and a torquer 2 cam with a partial tune. When i had it tuned did not have money for full hp tuners so used dinky handheld diablo sport to get a/f at a decent level. At the time i dynoed 349 at the wheel with dyno jet numbers. was told the injectors duty cycle was at 95%.

Now the track we run is is at 3000ft elevation and the DA is anywhere between 4500-6000 on average which might explain some of the excessivly slow times. So over the next 2 years I have added a Circle d 3200 stall, P+P typhoon intake and 85mm throttle body 42lb injectors and nitto 555r tires had the car dyno tuned with hp tuners and dynoed on same dyno 395whp. Through out the course of these mods i have annualy run back at the track to see results. The stall was the first mod i added after my best run and could not net better than a high 12.9 and lost on average 2 mph trap. Tires where a limiting factor due to could foot brake higher than 1200 rpms. So i proceed to do the other listed mods and went out and reran. DA was about 5200 which is pretty average for the place could not do better than a 12.88 at 109 with a 1.86 6o ft. launching at about 2200 rpm any higher and would start rolling the back tires. Now it laid this back to back to back on the next few times i went.

So i am at wits end in how the hell i gain 50whp add a stall drag radial and lower my 60ft and gain nothing in et or trap? Any ideas before i lose my sanity?
Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Converter slip at the end of the run is??
Segment times comparison shows?
NE data logging of the runs?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Teching In

I have not had the ability yet to data log the runs. As i the tuner use Hp tuners to tune i do not have the program myself to datalog. And my Diablosport handheld has the ability to data log have not got the cable to upload to a computer so have not datalogged a run yet. And I'm unsure what you mean by segement time comparison and NE data logging?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

transmission could be slipping or the stall could be having issues with efficiency

what were the 60ft comparisons?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

He means we need full timeslips.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at your 395HP and you had more then me at the time when I was running my Cam only car 389HP is what I had 11.6 E/T was my best with full weight.. Like everyone has said above check the transmission and also your stall.

My car used to move forward like your talking about too. Next time you go out try not stalling up the car and just give it everything you have from an idle. See what times you run then!! I had this problem with my one stall and this is what I had to do to fix the problem...

With a good DA and transmission working you should have no problem getting Mid to low 11’s

Last edited by SSHAWK; 10-14-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Okay i don't have my most recent time slip on me cause i'm currently at to work. I will post tonight when i get home but i do have my best time slip from 2010. That night i was pretty consistant 2.0x with my best run at 2.08 60 ft. Last week i went out i was playing with stall rpms due to just adding drag radial and was mostly low 1.9x with my best at 1.87 but my times where pretty much 12.9 all night. No tire issues at all.
I have not ruled out transmission slippage but have not been able to feel any slip on track or street and shifts are very solid with no flair. Unsure if transmission slippage would show up on dyno? The converter i have been wondering for a very long time as after installing i have never been able to trap higher than a low 109 even after adding close to 50whp since my best 110mph trap in 2010.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
I'm looking at your 395HP and you had more then me at the time when I was running my Cam only car 389HP is what I had 11.6 E/T was my best with full weight.. Like everyone has said above check the transmission and also your stall.

My car used to move forward like your talking about too. Next time you go out try not stalling up the car and just give it everything you have from an idol. See what times you run then!! I had this problem with my one stall and this is what I had to do to fix the problem...

With a good DA and transmission working you should have no problem getting Mid to low 11’s

I did try last time out just flashing at idle as that was the best 60ft before adding drag radials. But all it would get is a mid 1.9x which was slightly slower than Foot brake stalling it. I would have liked to try it a few more times but kept trying new stall rpms...
Old 10-14-2011, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cam'dandslow
I would have liked to try it a few more times but kept trying new stall rpms...
My 3800 stall I had that’s all I could do was flash it... If I tried stalling up the car it would move..

Other things you could check and see like people said is logging the run and it would show you what’s going on. But that's nothing new from what people above have said.

Would the person that tuned your car would he be willing to come to the track with you and help? It could be fine tuning he needs to do.

Car shifting to early …
Not shifting at the right RPM…
Old 10-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Ya suppose i will be in for a long winter. The track does not stay open very late up hear so possiability to go out and data log might not be possiable till next year.

Was hoping to get an idea where to head over the winter but i should have been more proactive in figuring out in what was happening instead of just throwing more mods at it