Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting Ride Height w Strange SA struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Setting Ride Height w Strange SA struts

I'm in the middle of installing some Strange Single Adjustable front struts with 300lb Hypercoil springs, and I'm curious how far up I should run the spring seat to lower the car about 1.3-1.5" from stock. This is where I am now, even with the bearing kit they're beginning to be real bears to turn. Counting the threads I'm about 37 threads up from the bottom. I'm using the supplied Strange upper mount to retain the spring with the stock mount on top of that. Figured I'd ask before I start the other side tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know how you're adjusting them but, If you allow the suspension to extend without the weight of the car on the springs it will not be as difficult.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that's sooo much fun! Not.... I think my car is sitting about where you want. I count 40 threads up. Give the car a lil time to settle, it took about an hour before the car came to it's final ride height. Which I found odd
Old 10-22-2011, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Also, use some bearing grease where the spring makes contact with anything. I don't have the bearing kit and that made it doable
Old 10-22-2011, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Awesome thanks for the reply superslow, just in time I'm about to head back out there haha
Old 10-22-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm headed out to my garage to do the same thing on my Strang DA's. As soon as your done, drive the car around the block so the suspension will settle then check the ride height. Also, you should have the drivers side up just a little higher than the passenger side to accommodate for your body weight when you sit in the car. I've never gone up to 40 threads before, I think I had mine at 37 threads and it seemed the front sat a tad higher than the back, and the only thing I have done to lower the back of my car is the removal of my spring isolators.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its gona depend on the weight of your car, how you have the spings and coils mounted in the upper mount, and the lower, and what LCA you have. but you need to get the car on the gorund and bounch it a few times with the shocks fully loose. to get a idea,

And test drive it (with the shocks as loose as you can safly drive it) and se what it settles too. I wouldn't put greese on that it will just atract dirt and road grim if you street drive the car. I have a little anti siese that I wipe off the extra, so I have some under the rings, and add some the way I need to adjust. But Ive been spitching between drop spindles. But normally once you get the car in the range your only going to be moving it 1/4 inch on the shock, thats more like 1/2 at the fender.
Or use some dry film lube, but nothing wet and sticky.

Oh also I put a 7/8th deep socket over my wrench handle (6point that fits it tight) so thats alot easier on your hand then the thin wrench.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
its gona depend on the weight of your car, how you have the spings and coils mounted in the upper mount, and the lower, and what LCA you have. but you need to get the car on the gorund and bounch it a few times with the shocks fully loose. to get a idea,

And test drive it (with the shocks as loose as you can safly drive it) and se what it settles too. I wouldn't put greese on that it will just atract dirt and road grim if you street drive the car. I have a little anti siese that I wipe off the extra, so I have some under the rings, and add some the way I need to adjust. But Ive been spitching between drop spindles. But normally once you get the car in the range your only going to be moving it 1/4 inch on the shock, thats more like 1/2 at the fender.
Or use some dry film lube, but nothing wet and sticky.

Oh also I put a 7/8th deep socket over my wrench handle (6point that fits it tight) so thats alot easier on your hand then the thin wrench.
Great call on the socket over the wrench like a handle, that helped a lot. That, some thick gloves, and dousing it in wd40 actually helped once it went around a few times and loosened it up some.

So I'm at 34 threads up, havent driven it yet, but pushing up and down pretty hard on the fenders a few times got me the pic below. I'm gonna loosen the fronts and take it for a drive tonight and see if it comes down anymore. May have to cut the stock rear coils to get this to look like I'm wanting it to. (excuse the mess, we're getting ready for a garage sale this weekend, carving pumpkins, etc haha)

Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Dry film dosnt help at all, actually left more of a mess. But i guess dirt wise will depend on driving. I havny noticed any extra dirt on mine but studderin is right, If you drive it alot, prolly would get nasty if you left the grease globbed on there
Old 01-04-2023, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Default Howd you get it to sit up that high? Mine car damn near sit on the tires

Originally Posted by Photochop
Great call on the socket over the wrench like a handle, that helped a lot. That, some thick gloves, and dousing it in wd40 actually helped once it went around a few times and loosened it up some.

So I'm at 34 threads up, havent driven it yet, but pushing up and down pretty hard on the fenders a few times got me the pic below. I'm gonna loosen the fronts and take it for a drive tonight and see if it comes down anymore. May have to cut the stock rear coils to get this to look like I'm wanting it to. (excuse the mess, we're getting ready for a garage sale this weekend, carving pumpkins, etc haha)

Howd you get it to sit up that high? Mine car damn near sit on the tires

Quick Reply: Setting Ride Height w Strange SA struts