Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket a/c?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default aftermarket a/c?

I'm trying to figure out a way to.clean the engine bay of my car up and I was looking at the vintage air units, it looks like it will fit under the factory dash fine, once I get all the factory stuff out.

I think it'll help loose a few pounds over the the stock stuff.

I know it sounds retarded but its freaking hot down here in south Mississippi in the summer and I'm fat, I don't wanna pull up to a cruise in and get out all sweaty.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont fell bad Im 22 and a lil guy..I wont EVER pull the AC off my car!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i havent seen any 4th gens with no stock ac , i think 1 3rd gen but that doesnt help pout much .
Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres plenty of other places to pull weight and not have to sweat if its not a max effort build. Look into chromeoly suspension pieces, chromeoly kmember, 'glass hood, lighter wheels/tires, pull sound deadening, etc etc.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

I dont think it will save you "that" much weight but it will clean out the engine bay and spark plug changes will b much easier.
There's alotta room under the dash w/o the heater box in there-I'm sure it will fit.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

photochop, this pretty much is a max effort build... its been going on for about 4-5 years now... I just get to working on it here and there and get distracted and dont touch it again for a year. The motor has been built and in the car since 07.. so yeah im a little behind! lol

tektrans, thats one of the main reasons I wanna ditch the stock stuff. This is a solid roller motor w/ nasty's valve covers... so yeah I could definately use the space to get to those rockers from time to time.

vintage air has a compact unit thats around 8"tx7"wx24"x long.... or I think thats what the measurements were. I'm gunna consult them about using it w/ my factory compressor and stuff though.

Given the information people post about loosing weight under the dash I should still be able to loose 5-10 lbs and gain the room under the hood.