Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a good suspension setup for me to start with at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good suspension setup for me to start with at the track?

My first time at the track my best time was a 11.71 at 120mph with a 1.9 60'. My best 60' of the day was a 1.749. I know the car should be able to 60' much better. I'm sure suspension has alot to do with it. I'm seek the advice of all of you drag racers out there on what to try with my suspension to get it to hook.

I have a 99 Firebird with about 450rwhp and weighing about 3600lbs with driver. It's a M6 with a BMR torque arm, crossmember relocation bracket, adjustable lower control arms and relocation brackets. QA1 12 way coilovers out front and QA1 12 ways in back. It's on 325/50 15r Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials with 4.11 gears.

My current settings are: Full loose out front, 9 clicks from full soft in back, torque arm is in the highest hole, lower control arms in the lowest hole, and 17psi in the tires. Every time I launched it would just spin off the line unless I dropped below 2800rpm on the launch and really eased the clutch out. As soon as I let off the gas to stop it from spinning and get back in it, it would dead hook. So the main problem I'm having is from a stand still (the most important part of the race).

I know one thing I need to do is a better burn out. I was only doing first gear burn outs. I think I need to do second gear. I was burning the tires for a good 4-5 seconds and then rolling out and letting off the gas. Next time I will do the same, but in second and see if that helps... I also think the front shocks need to be stiffened to maybe 3 clicks from full soft and the torque arm lowered to the 3rd or 4th hole. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by dystortdreality; 11-18-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

What's the angle of your tq arm? And with an m6, a slick would prob assist u better.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure what the angle of the torque arm is. I know it is in the highest hole.

Maybe when these tires are wore out I'll try slicks. I know I should be able to do better than a 1.749 60' on them though.

I really would like to stay on a street legal tire if possible...
Old 11-18-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

hoosier quick time pros are great, it's possible your hitting the tire to hard with it in the top go to the middle see if it helps
Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are the rear shocks double adjustable?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Teching In

No they are single adjustable.

I moved the lca's to the middle hole last night and lowered the torque arm to the 4th hole from the bottom. I tightened the front shocks up to 3 clicks from full soft and the rears to 10 clicks from full soft and set tire pressure to 16psi. I'm gonna see how that works for me. I have a feeling I'll be moving the lca's back to the bottom hole.

I'm gonna go back to the track on the 10th.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Teching In

I just was resetting my shocks and realized I have 16 way adjustable QA1 shocks. I set them as I stated above still. I'm gonna give it a shot.