Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do for coolant over flow tank...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what to do for coolant over flow tank...

the stock one looks bulky. not sure how heavy it is but i'd like to get rid of it. what type of tanks are you guys running and how big do you really need? any pics of where/how you mounted it would be great.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed, I would like to know what people are doing for this as well.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's how I did mine. I reused the factory line and location with a Jaz 1qt recovery tank.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked into this, and I'm still using the stock one. After I took it out and cleaned it, if you doesn't have a full gallon or whatever it holds, empty is really light. I have the JAZ round one, and it alot thicker, and not much lighter. I just dont put a ton of fuild in it, and its not that mich weight. And it holds down my little PC680 battery, so I'd have to make a tray for that. Its fits great flat and the stock cables fit fine. Just had to make a strap to go around it (1/8 x 1 alum) and using the stock bolt still. passes NHRA,NMCA tech for the past 3 years.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:08 PM
9 Second Club

I figured its light. I might cut some of that metal out tho to fit a fuel cell in that spot for the nitrous kit if it wont clear the hood. the battery's been in the trunk for years anyway.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you want to ditch the overflow, I would make a suggestion. Move it to the trunk. I know you're adding a bunch of hose, so there's really no weight loss... but if you pop a head gasket and it pressureizes the cooling system and causes it to puke everywhere, now it won't get on the tires of the car.... I've seen this happen to more then one person, even when running just water and they lose it just about every time.

If you get one of the overflow bottles and set it up like this it won't recirculate coolant, so when you get some in the bottle, it has to go back in the radiator... or it will end up getting low. Or, you have to run the radiator a little low so it doesn't get much in it, either way will work. Just something to think about... not alot of people realize how risky it is leaving the coolant overflow in a place that will allow it to get on the tires of the car.

120, 130, 150 mph or more and you end up with water all over the tires, hang on you're going to be in for a rough ride.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

I agree with JL! I put mine in the rear of the car after watching so many cars blow coolant all over the rear tires. I mounted my overflow off of the cage an it sits behind the factory rear plastic.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:14 PM
9 Second Club

this is ours, very simple, doesn't recirculate we usually top off the radiator with distilled water and empty the overflow every track visit. And yes the smarter way is to run it to the rear
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Race your car!

I now have a radiator that has a seperate fill tank (with the radiator cap on it), which acts as the resivoir, and an overflow tank, which will recirculate back into the system.. it has a blow off tube on it as well. This tank, will be mounted in the back of my car all the way in the back, under the car behind the tires, so should I ever have an issue... it's not going to blow all over the tires.

It's a pretty slick setup, came with the radiator I picked up from Tom Kemph (whole setup out of the money shot car)

I just have to modify the radiator to have a bbc return hose run to it... and it will be good to go. Should work out very well I think.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

Mount the tank upside down and it should recirculate with the hose on the bottom if you open the petcock on top as a vent. Right?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Orange99Z
Mount the tank upside down and it should recirculate with the hose on the bottom if you open the petcock on top as a vent. Right?
I think most tanks have a hole in the top in case of an overfill.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Race your car!

The summit one I ran had a pinhole in the top fo it.. it has to or there would be a 2ndary pressure holding the coolant in the radiator...

Good idea, but unfortunately that won't work. I have seen people attach the hose to the bottom and leave the petcock open all the time, and then just run a hose off the top out of the car. If you plugged the pinhole so the coolant could only go out the hose that will work.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Teching In

im doing something similar to my 95 z. I was wondering how SWeiser31 got that tank mounted there. Im leaving the battery where it is and i removed the battery plate from the original coolant reservoir so i can bolt it in fairly easily. I just need to get the new tank mounted.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CottSculp
im doing something similar to my 95 z. I was wondering how SWeiser31 got that tank mounted there. Im leaving the battery where it is and i removed the battery plate from the original coolant reservoir so i can bolt it in fairly easily. I just need to get the new tank mounted.
I just bought some aluminum strap and made a bracket for it. Definitely nothing fancy.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camscam02
this is ours, very simple, doesn't recirculate we usually top off the radiator with distilled water and empty the overflow every track visit. And yes the smarter way is to run it to the rear
I am looking to ditch my stock overflow and go this route. How often do you need to dump the overflow back into the radiator on a street car you think? How many passes and how full did ur overflow get? If it's a huge pain in the *** for a street car I guess I won't do it.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If you want to ditch the overflow, I would make a suggestion. Move it to the trunk. I know you're adding a bunch of hose, so there's really no weight loss... but if you pop a head gasket and it pressureizes the cooling system and causes it to puke everywhere, now it won't get on the tires of the car.... I've seen this happen to more then one person, even when running just water and they lose it just about every time.

If you get one of the overflow bottles and set it up like this it won't recirculate coolant, so when you get some in the bottle, it has to go back in the radiator... or it will end up getting low. Or, you have to run the radiator a little low so it doesn't get much in it, either way will work. Just something to think about... not alot of people realize how risky it is leaving the coolant overflow in a place that will allow it to get on the tires of the car.

120, 130, 150 mph or more and you end up with water all over the tires, hang on you're going to be in for a rough ride.
Is this a problem for a drag radial tire?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^lmfao!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Here's mine. I just went to the junk yard and found something I thought would work.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local track was ok with a mountain dew bottle for a while, but eventually I had to drop some biiiig money on a $15-$20 summit racing coolant overflow. Been workin great.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

baller

Quick Reply: what to do for coolant over flow tank...