Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strut tower & fender supports

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut tower & fender supports

Hey guys don't know if im posting this in the right section if not a mod can move it. Anyways a lil background on the build. Its a 94 Camaro roller im putting a bbc turbo 4l80 in. Right now its just a stripped down shell awaiting my mwc components. (K along with upper and lower arms and with my tax return going to be getting the rear among other things) the motor will be plated in an only accessories will be a alt. If it matters. Not exactly a 100% strip build would like to street it on occasion. Going to be running a manual rack along with manual brakes if that matters. Anyways the main question now that you guys have a background on the build/plans is. Im aware ima have to cut out the radiator support and fab a new stand up but was curious if there was anything I could do with the other sheet metal for strut towers and fenders. I like the tube chassis style for more room but don't know if id be able to mount stock fenders to it. Maybe make some mounting tabs. Also id have to retain some of the shock tower for mounting my upper arm purposes. Anyone have any pics or has anyone done this and have a write-up on what they did? If anything else some feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated from people that know as this is my first extensive build. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Who knows might just leaves it the way it is but wanna explore all options before making a decision. Thanks joey
Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know 4th Gens aren't like 1st and second gens. While all of them are unibody cars, the subframe on a 4th gen bolts up to the body and only holds the motor and rack. The fenders bolt up to the body, and running a tube chassis would require extensive work. With the amount of work you'll do tubing the entire front, might as well commit and do the whole car. The inner fenders will most likely have to be cut away some to accommodate the BBC.

Last edited by BRUTL; 01-21-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can hold on a little while( I'm going to call it 6 weeks or so), I will have pictures of what I did in my engine bay, prety much what you want to do I think. My car is getting a BBC fwiw... may be worth while if you're not in a big rush to start cutting.

You can get away with taking alot of it out, but will have some work to do to put enough back to be able to mount everything.... mine is in process right now.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok jk that sounds good. I can def wait. It's in the beginning stages anyways. All I've done is strip the car of all susp an interior. Waiting on susp to get it back to a roller. Doing susp 1st then motor tyranny. Do you have a build thread?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I do, I haven't updated it in forever, I really haven't had alot of time to put towards the car, alot of what is being done I wanted to do myself but just don't have the time these days, so the shop is taking care of it.

Just look thru the threads that I started it will pop up. I will have a major update to that in the next coming month or so, as the shop gets the work done.

Quick Reply: strut tower & fender supports