Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going for the Record

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
My little 352 held the record until Andreas ran his Monte Carlo. I think the record lasted because we don't have any classes here in the states that put these engines in lightweight big tire cars. I believe you will see some of these radial guys get into the 6's this year with LS power, the big tire lightweight stuff will go in deep! The 352 had 205 AFR 4 bolt heads on a factory block out of a pickup truck!! It was the best parts available at the time, AFR had the only head! My how times have changed......

Kurt
and a blowoff valve on the coolant system

its awesome how the LS platform has progressed
Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Its crazy how casper did it with a 352 cu in engine and everybody is using 420+ cubes to get there. Then it was done damn near 7 years ago.

Best of luck guys! Show the world what these LS engines can do!
That motor engineering wise was waaaaaay ahead of its time.

Deck surface and sealing wise, it was in the stone age. They had to mop up the water it pushed with a bucket after each run due to 4 bolt heads and no readily available aftermarket block to accept a 6 bolt head.

As TJ said they also used nitrous to spool the turbo's and to assist power to the 330' probably then shut it off and let the turbo's work in their pressure range.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought at the time the record would not last, I wanted first in the 6's. Ronnie Duke went 6.9X within 3 weeks of our run and Mark (can't remember last name) in Australia running with help from Con and Vic was breaking transmissions but ran a few 7.0X runs. Every time he tried to take off hard the trans broke.
When I ran Marks engine I only had the 4000G dyno and it gave up around 1600hp, so not sure what his would have made. It had a single cast wheel 106 then and I think the boost psi was only 25 when the dyno steamed the brake. Mark was around 2500 pounds, Casper was around 2900 and Andreas is down lighter than both. The UTE is running again in Australia with a 427 6 bolt engine still using cathedral heads and the original induction except for head castings. He still runs a powerglide but latest reports are good as it was holding.
The Pro Mod Dave has is pretty cool, although I have never seen it in person. I would watch for the three to trade the record around a bit this year if all goes well.
Good luck to all!!

Kurt.
Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Thats what I was getting at. Look at all the cylinder head options out there now compared to what was out there then.

Did you think it would evolve this fast Kurt?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

I still remember changing the springs in the blow off valve trying to get it to hold 30psi!!
I built the engine for a class here on tech, when that died I borrowed Casper for some fun!

Kurt
Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
and a blowoff valve on the coolant system

its awesome how the LS platform has progressed
Old 03-11-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

2540 lbs is the weight of mine. But i only have a total of 10 runs on my car before i hit 6.73 . On it´s third run i ran 6.88 . I´m still learning.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

I understand that! We ran Casper around eight times, it went to the end of the track under power 2 times. The first trans would not go in high gear and ruined the first 5-6 runs. The first run under power it went 7.02@202 on 25psi so I turned it up and shook the tires so hard the rear wheel bearings broke. I took it home and fixed the wheel bearings and replaced the front brakes as only one chute opened on the 202 pass and we cracked both front rotors. The next pass it went 6.86@205, after that we ran Mike's Monte Carlo as we brought that also for testing.

Kurt
Originally Posted by camaroandreas
2540 lbs is the weight of mine. But i only have a total of 10 runs on my car before i hit 6.73 . On it´s third run i ran 6.88 . I´m still learning.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

I have modified the car a LOT this winter. Will post some pictures soon

This is the last season with lsx. A bae or aj 526 would fit nicely
Old 03-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 427
It was the best parts available at the time, AFR had the only head! My how times have changed......

Kurt
Thanks. Here's a few good examples.

Our heads are very different in the valve geometry. We changed the angle from stock so that when you shim the stands, the rocker doesn't move around on the valve stem, it simply goes straight up right where it was.

This allows running far more lift and a taller valve. Our valves are 5.300 and 5.330 and require a 8.600 push rod, but if you're going for all out performance, this geometry helps with valve control and provides for more lift, we're the only ones on the market doing this, everything else is just a stock kock off. This also allows for much bigger springs to be used. We believe we've solved some of the short comings with LSX stock design. It requires a little more knowledge when doing a build in terms of geometry, but it's effective.

We also put more water around the chambers, to cool the chambers more, allowing for more compression and timing.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BMPJohn

Our heads are very different in the valve geometry. We changed the angle from stock so that when you shim the stands, the rocker doesn't move around on the valve stem, it simply goes straight up right where it was.

This allows running far more lift and a taller valve. Our valves are 5.300 and 5.330 and require a 8.600 push rod, but if you're going for all out performance, this geometry helps with valve control and provides for more lift, we're the only ones on the market doing this, everything else is just a stock kock off. This also allows for much bigger springs to be used. We believe we've solved some of the short comings with LSX stock design. It requires a little more knowledge when doing a build in terms of geometry, but it's effective.

We also put more water around the chambers, to cool the chambers more, allowing for more compression and timing.
I would love to hear more about how you all are doing this.

You will be the reason the LSX get's into the 5 second zone.

Can't wait to see what is next.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Which heads are you talking about?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

That's cool John! My AFR heads had 1.550 springs, 5.5 long valves and the pushrods were 1/2 inch in diameter and over 9 inches long. I put thick spacers in the seat area to jack up the spring seat so I could get the larger springs in. We then built a jesel bar that moved the rockers back so far I had to weld up the outside of the cover cause clearance caused the rocker to sit outside the cover.
The newer All Pro 12-1 and 12-2 take care of all these problems but still require the longer pushrods of course.

Kurt

Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 427
That's cool John! My AFR heads had 1.550 springs, 5.5 long valves and the pushrods were 1/2 inch in diameter and over 9 inches long. I put thick spacers in the seat area to jack up the spring seat so I could get the larger springs in. We then built a jesel bar that moved the rockers back so far I had to weld up the outside of the cover cause clearance caused the rocker to sit outside the cover.
The newer All Pro 12-1 and 12-2 take care of all these problems but still require the longer pushrods of course.

Kurt

You can run BBC springs on our heads because when you move it up, it goes straight up, no welding would have been necessary. Some clearance may be needed by the valve cover rail, based on the rockers, but very minor modification.

I haven't seen the all pros, but ours price out at $2800 for the top of the line CNC'd LS7 CNC'd head. That's a 296CC, completely assembled, some dealers will cut a deal. Probably looking at $2500 or so, but I can't speak for the dealers.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 AM
TECH Regular

BMP LS7 heads? These are the ones i will run
Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kurt, your car was flat hauling a long time ago, nothing short of amazing!

We are going to fill the block and dry deck the heads so no worries of pressurizing the cooling system. Not to mention the 9/16" head studs and the 7/16" outer should help with power production.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Send me info on the 2800 dollar top of the line LS7 heads at kuperf427@yahoo.com, I am curious valve supplier and material used and flow numbers/valve sizes if you have them.
Thanks

Kurt
You can run BBC springs on our heads because when you move it up, it goes straight up, no welding would have been necessary. Some clearance may be needed by the valve cover rail, based on the rockers, but very minor modification.

I haven't seen the all pros, but ours price out at $2800 for the top of the line CNC'd LS7 CNC'd head. That's a 296CC, completely assembled, some dealers will cut a deal. Probably looking at $2500 or so, but I can't speak for the dealers.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by camaroandreas

That is very impressive, I think you did a great job of getting the car down the track. I look forward to seeing the LS record get swapped around this year!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Launching!

nice car i remember helpn tootee build that thing along time ago for harmons restoration. tootee called me a while back and said yall had a ls in it and was wantn me to come and check it out since thats all we mess with now. i promise u wont find a better car builder and he is a real smart guy! good luck and keep us updated!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Wow some one that knows Tootee on here! I agree with you the car was built in 94' and it was way ahead of its time!!!

I want to see that new Camaro go down the track!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Kurt, your car was flat hauling a long time ago, nothing short of amazing!

We are going to fill the block and dry deck the heads so no worries of pressurizing the cooling system. Not to mention the 9/16" head studs and the 7/16" outer should help with power production.
Hehe i have also done that.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 427
Send me info on the 2800 dollar top of the line LS7 heads at kuperf427@yahoo.com, I am curious valve supplier and material used and flow numbers/valve sizes if you have them.
Thanks

Kurt
Hey Kurt,

here's a link to the heads:

http://www.theengineshop.com/product...num-heads.html

The Valves are MANLEY stainless steel.

As to flow numbers, we're not huge believers in them, the joke around the office is "what do you want them to be"... and I know you guys are smarter than to use flow numbers to determine anything...We advertise our flow numbers here:

http://www.theengineshop.com/product...f_file-209.pdf

Note we post both 600 and 1200 benches, we flow without a pipe, etc...etc...etc...

Customers have told us that they consistently flow more than advertised, and maybe not as much as some PEAK advertised numbers, but more across the board.