Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If turbos are more efficient and make more power than a sc'er.....then.....???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

subscribed
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

With the issues of getting the cars stopped ( reason for 1000 feet vs 1320) I do t see the need, or desire of any of the teams to try to develop more power, as stated they already slip the clutch for 600 feet to get the car to hook up and go down the track
Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Exactly, at this point as most of the experts agree, except the bosses at nhra,
they need to take away a big chunk of power.
They need to get back to 1320', and that means a combo that runs ~4.90's & 300-305.
That gives them several years to run before they need another "adjustment".
For whatever damn reason, nhra would rather they only race part way??
Then again, they are the genius' that decided to copy some stupid roundy round playoffs,
so the real season champion isn't always the actual season champion!!!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Race your car!

The chase crap that nhra does, is the dumbest thing that they have EVER done
Old 04-01-2012, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It makes it interesting to watch at the end. 1000' (sucks) with 10 decent cars (which is pushing it) and the season being over 4-5 races before the end would suck to watch.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The chase crap that nhra does, is the dumbest thing that they have EVER done
its dumber that they "temporarily" went to 1000' races. medllin and koletta didnt die because of lack of room.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:41 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TA1364
It makes it interesting to watch at the end. 1000' (sucks) with 10 decent cars (which is pushing it) and the season being over 4-5 races before the end would suck to watch.

You're missing the point.
A real racecar driver understands what a SEASON champion means.
I don't give a damn what the points are when I watch.
I watch to see who wins the event.
Yes it's cool to see the fight for the points going down to the last round,
and when it happens awesome.
I also understand what it means to have something you earned taken from you because of a fluke of luck or timing!!!
Dragracing already has a playoffs system, it's called win the round or go home!!!
Individual sports do not need playoffs.
I care more about winning a round, then I do about points, both racing & watching!!

Does it suck to watch the 1st 3-5 events where the points change every round??
Where a guy can go from 12th to 1st in one event??

To each their own, but we are dragracers, and a real race is 1/4 mile,
especially the professionals in NHRA.

For the record, I just watched the complete ADRL event.
Now that sucked.
1st time I watched, and it was frigging boring as hell.
Yes it was better then nothing, but what about driving around someone at the big end.
What about the pedelfests??

I didn't like it!!

Old 04-01-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
You're missing the point.
A real racecar driver understands what a SEASON champion means.
I don't give a damn what the points are when I watch.
I watch to see who wins the event.
Yes it's cool to see the fight for the points going down to the last round,
and when it happens awesome.
I also understand what it means to have something you earned taken from you because of a fluke of luck or timing!!!
Dragracing already has a playoffs system, it's called win the round or go home!!!
Individual sports do not need playoffs.
I care more about winning a round, then I do about points, both racing & watching!!

Does it suck to watch the 1st 3-5 events where the points change every round??
Where a guy can go from 12th to 1st in one event??

To each their own, but we are dragracers, and a real race is 1/4 mile,
especially the professionals in NHRA.

For the record, I just watched the complete ADRL event.
Now that sucked.
1st time I watched, and it was frigging boring as hell.
Yes it was better then nothing, but what about driving around someone at the big end.
What about the pedelfests??

I didn't like it!!

theres a reason why ADRL will never be as big as the NHRA or what the IHRA was before the recession. THEN they went and alienated one of THE best classes in drag racing.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Dont need turbos in t/f. Would love to see a engine larger than 500 CI. What if they build a montain motor of a top fuel engine? Also I didnt think I would like 1/8 mile ADRL but It was pretty awesome to me. To watch some 3.6x runs a 195+mph runs was cool as hell. I would rather go to ADRL then NHRA.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Dont need turbos in t/f. Would love to see a engine larger than 500 CI. What if they build a montain motor of a top fuel engine? Also I didnt think I would like 1/8 mile ADRL but It was pretty awesome to me. To watch some 3.6x runs a 195+mph runs was cool as hell. I would rather go to ADRL then NHRA.
IHRA has a class that has a lot of potential. would be great if it caught on. its called "Pro Fuel". basically... think top fuel without the blower and 100% nitromethane. its pretty cool and fun to watch . oh, and they run the ENTIRE 1320

ZMG, id be willing to bet that a mountain motor prostock engine modified (but kept na) for nitro would be ****.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Race your car!

The other issue with the stupid chase crap, is that a real racer understands every event, every round win should hold equal value, resetting it for 1/2 the field at the end, and telling the guy in #11 that even if he wins everything he can't be champ is crap, all that's going to do is make the sponsors tell the teams if you aren't in the championship hunt once it's restarted, we cut your funding to minimum so you can just show up.... Bad for the sport all around. Really dumb thing to do.... I'd rather see the championship decided4 races early then have this crap they did be the case. 1320 needs to come back too, easy solution to that, is drop 50 cubic inch off the motor, limit them to 1 magneto, drop the blower size to a 1261, or limit the fuel pump size/ flow and pressure, any one of those would effectively slow them down
Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
IHRA has a class that has a lot of potential. would be great if it caught on. its called "Pro Fuel". basically... think top fuel without the blower and 100% nitromethane. its pretty cool and fun to watch . oh, and they run the ENTIRE 1320
Ever watch Top Alcohol? Injected N/A nitromethane vs Blown Alcohol in the same class.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not everyone that watches drag racing are REAL drag racers. Ever think NHRA is trying to look for a bigger crowd? I agree 1320 needs to come back at any costs though.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Why do they need to bring back 1320 ft for Top Fuel? They are running them harder to 1000 ft than they used to, cause they used to blow up a lot in the last 300 ft. I saw a 325 MPH pass Sunday!

You cant tell the difference of 320 ft on TV, 8000 HP still looks (and sounds) like 8000 HP.

Al
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by T6Rocket

You cant tell the difference of 320 ft on TV, 8000 HP still looks (and sounds) like 8000 HP.

Al
Anybody whos REALLY into drag racing will know.....which would be/should be everybody watching.

Last edited by xFLG KING PIN; 04-05-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Theres no reason at all one couldnt make a turbo live heathily on a T/F engine. It would definitely be made of some exotic materials; inconel exhaust turbine, billet housings/compressor, etc. It may even take a much bigger hotside, or some creative thinking: monster wastegates constantly venting exhaust so there is just enough to spool, or hell just running 1 or 2 of the headers into the turbo per cylinder bank. IMO, they should really consider taking the "HR" out of NHRA because, atleast in their premiere class(top fuel), there is really not a whole lot of hot rodding going on. You are forced into running a BAE, KB Stg 16, AJ TFX, etc and you are forced into running a very specific blower, etc nearly everything is regulated to the nth degree. Hell, Id just like to see a T/F car from one of the top 5 teams with pretty much same everything except with a PSI C-rotor twin screw or a big Whipple and the appropriate fuel flow changes make a full 1/4 pass, that would be nasty.

NHRA T/F is getting like Nascar on a drag strip, it costs a shitload to run and every combination is very similar, all cookie cutter cars. If only there was room for some real innovation, maybe there would already be a combo that the "almost" average income guy could afford to run every now and then, something much more reliable, way stronger, and have the capability to make winning power.

Sadly, this falls on deaf ears:

http://www.dragracingonline.com/tech...-sainty-1.html

But what do I know, Im not a T/F driver or crew chief, and dont hold any power in NHRA.

I rest my case.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xFLG KING PIN
Anybody whos REALLY into drag raccing will know.....which would be/should be everybody watching.
Anyone who is really into drag racing would realize that hitting 325+ in only 1000 ft means the cars are making more HP than they used to when they ran the whole 1320 ft. They are able to get away with running them harder cause they only have to stay together for 3.8 seconds VS 4.5 seconds for the whole 1320.

It is a moot point anyway, they are not changing back.

Al
Old 04-05-2012, 01:48 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Cool

Originally Posted by T6Rocket
Anyone who is really into drag racing would realize that hitting 325+ in only 1000 ft means the cars are making more HP than they used to when they ran the whole 1320 ft. They are able to get away with running them harder cause they only have to stay together for 3.8 seconds VS 4.5 seconds for the whole 1320.

It is a moot point anyway, they are not changing back.

Al
Exactly.
Even on my junk, I was warned with blown alcohol, there is more damage done the last 300-400' of a 1/4 mile by a wide margin.
That's why I have 2 tune ups.
1750-1800 HP for 1/4 mile, and 2000+ HP for 1/8 mile.

Remember, those are the best, smartest, riches guys around our sport.
They definitely have it figured out, that's why they need to be forced to slow down, so we get our 1/4 mile back!!!
Those things were always on a short fuse, now even more so!!
Plus now that diapers and blower bags etc are so strong, they can get after it
and we don't even realize they blew sometimes until you see the number were off??

Old 04-09-2012, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
Exactly.
Even on my junk, I was warned with blown alcohol, there is more damage done the last 300-400' of a 1/4 mile by a wide margin.
That's why I have 2 tune ups.
1750-1800 HP for 1/4 mile, and 2000+ HP for 1/8 mile.

Remember, those are the best, smartest, riches guys around our sport.
They definitely have it figured out, that's why they need to be forced to slow down, so we get our 1/4 mile back!!!
Those things were always on a short fuse, now even more so!!
Plus now that diapers and blower bags etc are so strong, they can get after it
and we don't even realize they blew sometimes until you see the number were off??

May I ask what your combo is? But yeah, I want to see the 1/4 come back, but as said theyre trapping pretty much just as high as they used to. Id really like to see rule changes put in place that would allow for engines like the one above designed specifically for Top Fuel that have the capability to make a full 1/4mi pass confidently each and every time without problems.

Does anyone have the incrementals of the 337mph record trap in the 1/4 that I think Schumacher or Kalitta ran? Compared to the highest recorded trap in 1000ft so far(Im guessing 325 as said)?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

325 MPH is what I saw on one random pass from Sunday. I hardly ever watch it, so I cant imagine they have not gone faster than that. I would imagine it is 340+ easy.

I am sure in person you can tell the difference in 1/4 VS 1000 ft, but on TV it is 7/10 of a second difference. I cant tell!

Al

Quick Reply: If turbos are more efficient and make more power than a sc'er.....then.....???