Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are you guys using to cap the heater hose nipples on the water pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks,, I am happy with them being deep in the pump, out of the way... No I am not running a vacuum pump, thats just a moroso catch can for my PCV delete system..
Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tektrans
I'm not running a t stat on the vette, again per Evans- unless u want to heat the cockpit quickly on cold days its just a restriction.
Is it street driven at all. I always thought you needed a t-stat to allow the coolent time to stay in the rad. This way it would cool off then go back into the engine. I know old school bracket cars run no t-stat or just an orfice plate. I stilll drive my car to and from the track, just wondering? I like the idea of plugging the heater outlets. I have mine looped looks like junk. I'm thinking some nice allen headed S.Stl plugs.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
I still run the stock water pump, I deleted the HVAC system a while back, what I have been using to cap the nipples that fed the heater core, are these rubber caps from HELP! at autozone.. The only problem is they do not even last a year really, and start to dryrot and crack, and I dont trust them from there on. I can stock up on them, but was just wondering what else is out there? thanks Fellas..
Which caps are you using? If they aren't lasting long enough you can try putting vasoline on them every oil change. Vasoline will saturate the rubber and keep it rubbery. Or get a polyurethane hose cap in the right sizes to last even longer.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tool for pulling the heater hose nipples out

http://www.lasvegastool.com/

check this tool out. It made quick work of pulling the nipples out of the water pump. Yes you could make this tool at home instead of buying it. Either way I got the job done and now have a useful tool for the future. The aluminum tapped like butter with a little lube.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Judge56
http://www.lasvegastool.com/

check this tool out. It made quick work of pulling the nipples out of the water pump. Yes you could make this tool at home instead of buying it. Either way I got the job done and now have a useful tool for the future. The aluminum tapped like butter with a little lube.
Vise grip + slide hammer = let's break some ****

If motor was still out of the car I'd just drill a rod through both sides of the nipple. Attach 5# slide hammer to thru-rod. Give it a few solid whacks to pull them out and keep on trucking. Can't imagine doing that IN the engine bay though.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
Is it street driven at all. I always thought you needed a t-stat to allow the coolent time to stay in the rad. This way it would cool off then go back into the engine. I know old school bracket cars run no t-stat or just an orfice plate. I stilll drive my car to and from the track, just wondering? I like the idea of plugging the heater outlets. I have mine looped looks like junk. I'm thinking some nice allen headed S.Stl plugs.
This is a common misconception and completely incorrect as it pertains to LS motors and their cooling system. The faster the water circulates thru the radiator, the more temperature it can scrub.

A bypass hose should not be used ever on these cooling systems when deleting the heater and if you are going to run without a thermostat, you must block off the hole in the water pump that is behind it or a portion of your water flow will stay in a perpetual loop in the pumps bypass circuit.

Quick Reply: What are you guys using to cap the heater hose nipples on the water pump