Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with roll bars, keep airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
I ditched my passenger side when I pulled the HVAC from behind the dash.
While you're putting a 6pt in, might as well ditch the factory crash bars inside the door, since the ones on the new roll bar are MUCH MUCH better.
Why just the passenger?

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
Not only that, but airbags + full face helmet = bad.
Why is that?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

air bag hits your helmet it's easier for it to break your neck, more area and the weight of the helmet getting thrown back.... not good.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

I thought the bags were to slow your forward travel? There's probably some testing related to racing helmets and air bags, might have to google around and see.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
I thought the bags were to slow your forward travel? There's probably some testing related to racing helmets and air bags, might have to google around and see.
With how fast they air up, and the force of your head being thrown forward, when you hit the bag your head will be thrown backwards.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Race your car!

It's the shock of your head hitting the bag that usually throws you back a little, but when the weight of a helmet is added now there's more force on your neck. Think of your neck, as a broomstick balancing a bowling ball.. that's kind of how your head/neck is. Add more weight to the bowling ball= more neck stress.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Yup I understand your point. I want to read up on it some too. I don't think the bags are blowing your head back, more the belt pulling back and the car stopping after the collision.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Race your car!

If you have the belts tight you shouldn't move at all, just your head forward a little bit (if you have a hans device not at all)... it's when the airbag comes out and sends your head and the weight of the helmet back again, the shock is what can kill you.

End of the day.. once you have a real harness in the car and the other safety stuff, you're beyond what any factory safety equipment were meant to do and it's all meaningless.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Yup I understand your point. I want to read up on it some too. I don't think the bags are blowing your head back, more the belt pulling back and the car stopping after the collision.
Sure they are, it's simple physics. For every action, there is an opposite and or equal reaction.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If you have the belts tight you shouldn't move at all, just your head forward a little bit (if you have a hans device not at all)... it's when the airbag comes out and sends your head and the weight of the helmet back again, the shock is what can kill you.

End of the day.. once you have a real harness in the car and the other safety stuff, you're beyond what any factory safety equipment were meant to do and it's all meaningless.
Ah yeah, I wasn't thinking in the sense of 5 points rather factory belts. I got ya.

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
Sure they are, it's simple physics. For every action, there is an opposite and or equal reaction.
Yes but you are talking about different speeds and masses aside from the whole car pushing you forward. If your head went back with as much energy as the bag deploying, you'd be dead. I still want to google around and learn more about this. Nothing wrong with safety education
Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very true, probably would be a good thing to look into!

Quick Reply: Those with roll bars, keep airbags?