Drag Strip Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 AM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Dont double bulb anyone!

Meaning, when you pull up to the lights, do not pull in and light both lights unless you're running by yourself and no one is in the other lane.

If someone is in the other lane, and hasn't lit their top light yet, pull forward enough to light the first staging light and sit there. Wait until the other driver has lit his first staging light before you light your second staging light. This is called courtesy staging.

Basically by pulling into the beams and lighting both lights immediately you are rushing the other guy. If someone does this to you and lights both bulbs before you light your first bulb, don't even pull into the lights. Just sit there right before the first staging beam and don't light any of the lights. The starter if competent and knows what he is doing will tell the other guy to back up and courtesy stage.

Simple drag strip etiquette that I see a lot of the people on this sight don't do.
kinda unnecessary at a test n tune street car session. But yea really annoying at a race event.

I remember something funky in my 4l60e as it would bump the rev limiter every now and again if I left it in drive or OD(or 3 on trans am shifter I guess?). Did some research and found out if you leave shifter in 2nd, then after you feel the tranny shift into 2nd on your run to move it up to D or 3 on the trans am and it wouldnt bump the limiter...and it worked! So if your having issues with it doing that, try shifting it like that. It was something very technical why it would do that and a long time ago so I dont remember exactly why but, I just remember it working though. ofcouse mine was bolt-ons, tuned, 4k stall, and gears which may have messed with it a little?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, I'll keep an eye on that. I'd be bolt-ons, ~3600 stall, and tune.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZV8
kinda unnecessary at a test n tune street car session. But yea really annoying at a race event.

I remember something funky in my 4l60e as it would bump the rev limiter every now and again if I left it in drive or OD(or 3 on trans am shifter I guess?). Did some research and found out if you leave shifter in 2nd, then after you feel the tranny shift into 2nd on your run to move it up to D or 3 on the trans am and it wouldnt bump the limiter...and it worked! So if your having issues with it doing that, try shifting it like that. It was something very technical why it would do that and a long time ago so I dont remember exactly why but, I just remember it working though. ofcouse mine was bolt-ons, tuned, 4k stall, and gears which may have messed with it a little?
I found it extremely annoying when I would be staging my turbo car and the ******* in the next lane would pull in and light both lights before I lit one of mine.

So when I'd pull in to spool on the footbrake and build my boost I'd only have however long auto-start was set for to bump in to light the 2nd light. So I'd basically have 7 seconds once I lit the first light to go through my little routine I like to do just to once over all the gauges and make sure there is nothing wrong and strap my undies on tight. If I didn't get it all done in 7 seconds the lights would drop and if I had wanted to practice on my r/t that would of been completely blown because the guy in the other lane thinks its ok because it's TNT.

Just saying man. I've been the turbo car in the other lane when this happens and it's annoying as ****. It's good practice to do it all the time.

Quick Reply: Drag Strip Newbie