Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS(X) Engine Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS(X) Engine Swap Questions

I have decided that if I am going to invest money in an engine upgrade for my 93 LT1 I will probably just build from scratch a Carbed LS Engine package. I am not in a hurry to do this but am looking for items to purchase and build as I go.

What are top 3 Engine/Head platforms to start from so I can begin searching for bargains in the Craigslist world? Items I am talking about are which blocks and Heads should I be on the look for from a Budget/Performance/Bang for the Bucks perspective?

Are any year model items better then others for a Drag Only Car. I am not looking for 1000HP but something in the 400-600HP range.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

I went with a 2004 LQ4 (from a Silverado, is a steel block) and LS3 heads. (basicly a LY6 clone)
Seems to be a popular combo ?

I bought my heads new from SDPC cheaper than buying a used pair and new dual springs....not even counting rebuild price on a used set.

Lots of vendors here for partsand can say Beau @ SDPC and Mike F. @ S-K Speed.... Both treated me well and prices were great

Last edited by Doug G; 09-18-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug G
I went with a 2004 LQ4 (from a Silverado, is a steel block) and LS3 heads. (basicly a LY6 clone)
Seems to be a popular combo ?

I bought my heads new from SDPC cheaper than buying a used pair and new dual springs....not even counting rebuild price on a used set.

Lots of vendors here for partsand can say Beau @ SDPC and Mike F. @ S-K Speed.... Both treated me well and prices were great
What did you pay for your LQ4 and LS3 Heads? What kind of HP do you get out of this with stock parts? What can you get with simple bolt on mods for this combination?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by StraightTimeStirrups
What did you pay for your LQ4 and LS3 Heads? What kind of HP do you get out of this with stock parts? What can you get with simple bolt on mods for this combination?

Thanks,

Joe
$300 for a long block with no oil pressure needing a rebuild.

$1000 (with shipping) NEW LS3 heads with 650 lift dual springs (as cast/no porting)

$400 custom ground CompCam

$375 Vic Jr. carb intake.

The combo I'm copying went 9.9-10.0 in a 2900# car. (no dyno numbers)
I can only hope to come close or match it.

All said and done .... parts + machine work (fresh build) + retro fit parts = $6500 +/- .

Quick Reply: LS(X) Engine Swap Questions