Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Broke EF Camaro build thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay Sean, its 4 months later... Any updates?
Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Bump
Old 03-10-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cough
Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

WHOA, people are still interested!

So the short version of the story is that plans have changed a few thousand times (as is always the case with me). Without going back and re reading anything, when I dropped it off for the cage I was going to do a 25.3 right off the bat. I ended up changing it to a regular 8.50 cage though after thinking about it. It took longer than I had anticipated, but that was OK because we were trying to find and then buy a house. Once I got it back (around September), I was not really thrilled with some of the work. I am pretty OCD about certain things, and some aspects of the cage were not to my liking so I shoved it in the garage and ignored it. The quality of the cage is fine, and it fits very well, just I was specific about some details, and they were not done the way I wanted.

Anyway, the car has been sitting ever since. I go back and forth constantly with what to do with it. At this point it is keep it, put the carbon tubs in with some more cage structure in the back, and get it running and driving. That changes almost by the minute with me though, but that is the prevailing plan for now. Now that the weather is getting better, I will start working on it again soon. I need to do some work to my garage so I can have some space to work. Half is taken up by the Camaro, the other half is mostly **** that needs to be thrown away (in a dumpster) that came from some work in the house and/or the previous owners. Once I do that I can move the car to the center of the garage and get to work.

I know you all love pics as much as I do, so here are a few from this past weekend showing where the car is at right now.

So the front part of the cage, from the main hoop forward, is fine but I will probably cut out the rear down bars. Partly because I don't like them, and partly because I want to build out the back a lot more since I cut so much out. The bars in the engine bay are the ones I really hate. I still haven't come to grips with them yet. I got the MWC cowl removal kit, so when I do that I will decide what to do with those bars.

Other than that you can see my mess to the left, also notice that is ALL of the light I have out there now. Its just a single 100w (well 100w replacement LED) bulb in a horrible spot. I also only have a single outlet in the entire garage!!! Needless to say that is all changing. We are going to be adding a sub panel for the garage along with insulation and drywall.

Anyway, that is where I am at. I do really wish it was further along, but with the house and everything else it just isn't. I am starting to get motivated to work on it again, so you should be able to expect some updates. Even more so if I can actually weld, but I am not too sure about that one outlet supporting a welder. I have a generator though, so I will make it work

Thank you guys for sticking with me, it means a lot! You guys are more of a motivation than you probably realize.

Until next time!
Sean
Old 04-27-2015, 09:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C'mon, im ready to see some metal work...
Old 04-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Get back to it man!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:57 AM
9 Second Club

Not a whole lot to update, but progress IS being made! We can start a few weeks back when I finally built a work bench for the garage, which is desperately needed. Before I get too far, my garage is pretty small (20' x 20') and has a bunch of **** it in. I am sure I have mentioned this before, but it really just means I spend a lot of time cleaning and organizing since I am basically adding to the junk that is taking up space any time I work on the car. We got one of those dumpster bags a few months ago, and filled it with the previous owners junk from one half of the garage. You read that right, we filled a dumpster with the **** left on just one side of the garage! We still need to get one for the crap on the other side, but its not nearly as bad so no rush yet.

Anyway I got everything cleaned up, moved the car over, and got it up in the air. I then stripped out the front and rear suspension, and the last of the brake/fuel lines. I also kind of assessed the situation on rust, and metal work. I need to clean that all up before I install the sub frame connectors. Here are the pics after I stripped the suspension and had someone come grab it for scrap to get it out of my way.

Now that I had the car stripped down, I could asses where I was at with everything since it has been a while since I was crawling all over it. The first thing on the agenda was going to be rust repair in the floors. There was probably a bit more than I remember, and some of it was above where the sub fame connectors will be. Lucky for me I remember that I know someone who knows someone that has a sand blasting company! I had met him a couple times before, and as it turned out we all hung out together over the 4th of July weekend. He is going to hook me up, so now I need to strip the car even further to get it ready for blasting.

I had yesterday off of work, so I had a bit of time to take the doors and the hatch off. I also got some small brackets off for the bumper and headlights, and the door hardware. Nothing too exciting, but its progress.

I still have a few more things to take off like the weather stripping and some trim, but its pretty close. I also need to have the windshield pulled out so I can start working on the cowl removal. I am trying to get it in to be blasted ASAP, so getting it ready and building a cart for it is top priority. Once I get it back I can finally start doing some metal work! I cant wait for that since that is what I really like to do.

OK, that is all for now. Thanks as always for following along!

Sean
Old 02-08-2017, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What ever happened to this car?
Old 02-08-2017, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

He sold it
Old 02-08-2017, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StangEaterSS
What ever happened to this car?
I am pretty sure I saw it for sale awhile ago on the web somewhere.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Was a nice build!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:19 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah, sold and I think sold again even. Really wish I had the ability to stash cars away instead of having to sell them. I would have liked to keep this car, and the car after it.

Sean

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Broke EF Camaro build thread