Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about weight reduction... door bars and dash removal.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Question about weight reduction... door bars and dash removal.

I'm trying to drop as much weight as possible without completely making it undriveable on the street. The a/c is gone, backseats are gone, spare tire and jack, and now I'm looking at pulling my air bags out and I've also been reading about door bar removal. What exactly are the door bars? Will they effect the windows working or is it just some pointless metal in there for safety purposes? Also on the air bag removal is taking out the dash pretty self explanatory? Anything I should watch out for on the reinstall? I plan to keep my heater. Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
What exactly are the door bars? just some pointless metal in there for safety purposes?
no
yes
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The are tubular bars in each door. Pretty much serves the same purpose as the bar next to the driver on a roll cage. They are a pain to take out but makes the doors feel much lighter
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

If you are not worried about getting t-boned with nothing but fiberglass beside you, or bouncing your face off the steering wheel then why worry about the heater.

I personally wouldn't remove safety equipment in a street car without replacing it with something equivalent or better. In this case roll bar and harness. Have you already gone tube suspension up front? Lighter seats? Just seems a large risk to me.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1320Chicken
If you are not worried about getting t-boned with nothing but fiberglass beside you, or bouncing your face off the steering wheel then why worry about the heater.

I personally wouldn't remove safety equipment in a street car without replacing it with something equivalent or better. In this case roll bar and harness. Have you already gone tube suspension up front? Lighter seats? Just seems a large risk to me.
True.. The only reason i took my door bars out was because my next step was the moly cage. Too risky, never know when some idiot may run in the side of ya
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya. I have a 6point, but even the higher spec cage with a X door bar to a dash bar and 6inch gusset on them up there. rocker tube ect. there still really close to you and will get bent into you.

There was a thread on TB a guy just slapped a guard rail light or something going a burnout and looped out on the street, and it basically explored all the bones in his foot and ankle when they hit the front down bar. The car just dented the rear 1/4 but had to get it all fused together form it.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A cage will be going in at the same time that I would be taking the door bars out. I was going with a MWC 6 point chromoly. If you guys don't think it would be safe even with the cage then I'll probably just leave them. The air bags I'm not worried about. Cars in the 80s didn't have them so that doesn't worry me to much. Getting T boned and destroyed does though. I never really thought about there only being fiberglass around me.

Quick Reply: Question about weight reduction... door bars and dash removal.