Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ive tried different tire pressures, settings on the Hals, rpm launches, etc., but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 04:40 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ive tried different tire pressures, settings on the Hals, rpm launches, etc., but...

still no improvement in times. I have the R series fronts, so I dont know if the settings will be different as to the regular ones. Ive tried 0, 1, and 2 for the R series fronts. On the rears Ive tried d.s. 3/p.s. 4, d.s. 3/p.s. 5, and d.s. 4/p.s. 5. Ive tried 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 psi on the tires. Ive tried different lengths of time in the burnout box. Ive tried between 1500 and 3000 rpm lauches. Ive removed weight. I dunno why there hasnt been any significant improvement. I know my gearing in my tranny isnt as low as the 4L60Es, but I dont think it would make that big of a difference, but what do I know. I was wondering if anyone had any more ideas on what I can change/adjust? Car weighs just under 3300 lbs. with me in it and most of the mods are in the sig. Something isnt right and I need to pinpoint it and fix it. Ive read and been told by many people that the car should be doing better for what it has. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to try a higher setting on rear hals from 7ds to 9ps because of the power of your setup with the cam. With a former h and c car I had to run a higher setting to get any traction at all at the track on the rear. I ran my air pressure around 14 and general one pound lowered on the ps. Keep the front on 2 or 3. cheers and good luck. I had a writeup for the very same problem under user name of "Kent" and The details of what I did may help you. again...cheers and good luck.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

have you done any searches on the SS series converters. If I remember correctly i dont think they were made for off the line performance like the PS and PT series. Have you autotapped the car any? I know when I first had a converter put in with no tuning done the car was pulling timing even on the launch. Just a few things to think about. You are hooking for sure right? Any reason why you went with that trans instead of a 4L60E?? I know it's frustrating, but you will get it figured out eventually.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:20 PM
9 Second Club NA

I havent done any searches on the SS series converters, but the Colonel is running the same exact converter and he said with my set up, that I should be pulling at least mid 1.5s. I have not autotapped the car. I dont have a laptop nor the program and I cant find anyone that would do it. Id like to go out this Friday to HRP and see if I can find someone who wouldnt mind doing it for me because I really like to know where the car stands. Im hooking good, but I wouldnt say dead hooking. It sure feels good though, but as Ive been told, you may not feel the slightest spin. I went with the 200-4R because its lighter, more efficient, can be built stronger, isnt computer controlled, and plus it was a lot easier to install overall than it would be with a 4L60E. You wouldnt happen to be going out to HRP this Friday or weekend would ya? If so, would you be willing to autotap my car? Since the install, I havent dynoed it, autotapped it, or anything. I figured since it was a non-computer controlled tranny that I didnt have to worry about any of that. The only thing that I had Jason do is delete a few things that go with the 6 speed.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

I've got a very similar set up as far as horsepower mods and race weight. However, I still have the 4L60E. I'm probably going to the drag strip tonight to play with my new Hals. I've got the front springs and type R series. On the rear I just got the Hal shocks but will still be using the stock springs. I know this is beaten to death but what was the weather like? If it was quite a bit hotter than your previous best, that could be the problem. It will be hard for me to judge tonight because the last time I was at the drag strip the DA was around +400. Tonight it is going to be around +1800 so it will be tough to beat my previous best 60' of 1.57 at this drag strip.

One other thing, I noticed you had a TCI flexplate. What is that exactly?

Thanks and don't give up.

Derrick
Old 04-21-2004, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club NA

Its the 29.1 SFI approved flexplate that TCI offers. Its made out of billet steel, I bought it because I went from a 6 speed, I needed one and didnt really want to use a stock one. If I was going to spend money on one anyway, why not play it safe. I dont know what the weather was like when I pulled my bests, and I really dont know where to find out all that info anyways, so I dont bother with it even though I know it plays a big role. From now on Im going to have to start finding out.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

If you are not spinning you need more converter.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:09 PM
jfm
10 Second Club

The 200-4R has a 2.75 first gear as compared to a 3.06 in the 4L60E.I would consider going at least 3.73 rear gear if not a 4.10.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:59 PM
9 Second Club NA

I want to go with more converter and a gear, but from what Ive read, heard, and have been told, the car should be doing better. What Im really concerned about is my 60 ft. because once I get that down where it should be, then it should help my ETs. I want to maximize my setup that Im running now. Sorry I didnt specify. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:45 PM
9 Second Club

Go UP on tire pressure. I have never 60' better than 1.7 so consider that. I READ that sometimes people get their best 60' with a little wheelspin. Maybe if you don't have enuff power/gear/or converter, a LITTLE wheelspin might help. I think you should be able to get 1.5# as well. Maybe some pros will chime in.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.wunderground.com/

Enter the town your drag strip is in. Then on the next page scroll down to the middle and change the date to that on your time slips. Look at the time the run was made at and write down the temp, barometer and dew point listed for that time of day.

Then go here: http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm and enter that data. If you don’t know your tracks elevation, then call them or if you have a good idea, just type that in.

That will give you the DA. Compare DA’s each time you go so you’ll know how much effect the weather had. IMO, every 1000 ft of DA is approximately a tenth and 1 mph off your time. Maybe someone else knows the exact math behind it?

P.S. If it makes you feel any better, my sixty foot has not improved either. However, I am pulling both tires off the ground now but for some reason my sixty foot is not quicker.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Are the back tires spinning on the launch? You need someone to do some spotting.

If you are not spinning I would go with +400 on stall.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:34 PM
9 Second Club NA

Went last night to the track and my 60s werent any better. Since the last time Ive been, Ive added a Meziere EWP, took of the a/c belt, and installed BMR relocation brackets. I even went higher on the rear shocks, 4 rear driver 7 rear passenger. But no better. It was worse actually. I was pulling consistent high 1.6s vs. my consisten low 1.6s. I am just so disappointed with this car. Ive put so much money into it and it seems like Im doing so after every time I leave the track and no improvements. I dunno what else to do. I know I can do head, nitrous, bigger cam, rear w/gears, etc., but I want to maximize my setup and then make changes. This bites! I dunno what else to do. Do you think the relocation brackets are hurting? Should I go with a true slick?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

I think you need a lower gear like someone else said 3.73's or 4.10's
Old 04-29-2004, 10:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

I know I need gears, but theres just so many people doing better with stock gearing. I know the car has it in it, I just gotta figure out whats holding me back. Something isnt right and I gotta find out what it is.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Was the car spinning or not?
Old 04-30-2004, 04:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

If felt good, but honestly, couldnt say for sure if it was or not. If it was, then it was very little. Something is wrong because I look at everyones signature and pay attention to their 60 ft. times and boy, mine just suck. Can you hook too much? Just curious. I know I dont have as good of gearing as a 4L60E, but should it set me back that far? I should be in the 1.5s no doubt about it, help me get there. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Default ///???

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
If felt good, but honestly, couldnt say for sure if it was or not. If it was, then it was very little. Something is wrong because I look at everyones signature and pay attention to their 60 ft. times and boy, mine just suck. Can you hook too much? Just curious. I know I dont have as good of gearing as a 4L60E, but should it set me back that far? I should be in the 1.5s no doubt about it, help me get there. Thanks.
either loosen the convertor or put some gear in car,
Old 04-30-2004, 05:24 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I've done both and more converter is more useful.