Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weighed my car today (Race weight)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weighed my car today (Race weight)

The car is 3320 lbs race weight but that was with 3/8 of a tank of gas and a full 10 lb bottle of N2O (35lbs). I'm 180lbs so it'll be 3500 lbs with me in it.

I really need to get the weight down on the car. I've removed a lot of stuff to save weight. I don't know how much the Trans Am weighed from the factory so I don't really know how much I've taken off.

Removed: No rear seats, true duals dumped at the axle, SS headers, no passenger seat, brackets removed, seat belts removed, spare removed, AIR delete no EGR, no washer fluid, T-top holders removed, rear speakers removed, floor mats removed, lightweight flywheel. nothing in the compartments either.

My race wheels are next and a Smoothie Q hood to replace the stock one. Still need aftermarket brakes too. More weight reduction there.

I heard of one guy getting down to 3150 lbs and still keeping his a/c!! I really would like to keep my a/c and heat.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you take out the bumper reinforcements
Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Good job. Race weight means with YOU in the car though. So 3500lbs would be the race weight.
If you want a great weight reduction at a great price check out my bumper supports from MWC.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-supports.html
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

What he said ^^^ about those bumper supports. It's hard to beat that price at only 150 a piece. And we all know weight off the nose of car is a good thing. Car now is at a good race weight but if you want lighter may be time to invest in tubular suspension parts and ditch the power steering for a lighter Manuel setup.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

My WS6 weighed 3720 without me in it and 1/2 tank of gas.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skip the MWC bumper support. If you're on a budget get a hole saw set and get to town on the bumper supports. Ive seen several people cut out 10+ lbs off the stock supports. I completely removed my rear support and im going to make some brackets to support the bottom of the bumper for piece of mind. Can't wait to install my MWC k-member though.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

I haven't taken the bumpers off yet to get to all the 5 mph crash crap yet. But I like the look of those bumper supports. 30 lbs is a lot.

Should get some nose weight off with the VFN hood, brakes and the bumper supports. This is a heavy *** car to be plastic and fiberglass. The monsoon stuff is coming out this weekend and I'm going to make a quick disconnect for the radio so I can just pop it in and out. Like the old school Blaupunkt!!

Is there anything to do to reduce the weight around the t-top area? Like inserts instead of real t-tops?

Does anyone know how much the T/A's weighed from the factory? This one had every option available it looks like.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

My 155lb brother rolled across the scales at 3710 in his 00 m6 fully loaded ws6. My 170lb self rolled across at 3170 in my 94 iron lt1 m6 hardtop Z with a very heavy 9" with full adjustable rear suspension and zero $$$ in weight savings parts, just free ****, and no cutting.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 03-13-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will likley need to start coming out of pocket for light wieght components, kmem, a-arms, chromoly rear sus, etc. I had my 96 camaro down to 3260 with no driver: no ac, FULL interior and dash, no front bumper support. I had all tubular frontend and chomoly suspension.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 479 Likes on 376 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Damn ya'll have some heavy cars. When in drag form (big/littles !front bar) I can be a little less than 3000 depending on fuel load. I still have all creature comforts, full interior, all but 2 spots of sound deadening(removed the t-top well deadening and under dash deadening). DDing it with my 18's, front bar and normal crap you haul around I'm at about 3050....well may be a little less now

my weights are car only weights.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MFJ
I haven't taken the bumpers off yet to get to all the 5 mph crash crap yet. But I like the look of those bumper supports. 30 lbs is a lot.

Should get some nose weight off with the VFN hood, brakes and the bumper supports. This is a heavy *** car to be plastic and fiberglass. The monsoon stuff is coming out this weekend and I'm going to make a quick disconnect for the radio so I can just pop it in and out. Like the old school Blaupunkt!!

Is there anything to do to reduce the weight around the t-top area? Like inserts instead of real t-tops?

Does anyone know how much the T/A's weighed from the factory? This one had every option available it looks like.
Heres a pic a member on here (92notch) sent me of what he did to his front support.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Damn ya'll have some heavy cars. When in drag form (big/littles !front bar) I can be a little less than 3000 depending on fuel load. I still have all creature comforts, full interior, all but 2 spots of sound deadening(removed the t-top well deadening and under dash deadening). DDing it with my 18's, front bar and normal crap you haul around I'm at about 3050....well may be a little less now

my weights are car only weights.
That's what I'm talking about right there. That's what I want to do. How?? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MFJ
That's what I'm talking about right there. That's what I want to do. How?? If you don't mind me asking.
Well for one, the camaro's are generally lighter than the firebirds from the factory in the first place so that makes a considerable difference.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 479 Likes on 376 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by adamantium
Heres a pic a member on here (92notch) sent me of what he did to his front support.

Originally Posted by MFJ
Kinda like the pic above. 92notch and I are buds. He has taken my Q on some stuff. It's easy to get these cars to 3200 or so. That happens in the course of careful modding. To get where I am is ALOT of attention to detail.....and ALOT of whittling. I still have not done anything to the main chassis of my car though. Just pieces I can unbolt lighten and bolt back on. Of course there are lots of little things that go away in the process also.

ex. I took 3.5 lb out of my hood hinges, 9lb out of the rear bumper, the front bumper is similar to above, 1lb out of the coil pack brackets......and on and on and on...lol

Done right all these pieces remain solid parts and and it ends up adding up big time. I may actually be able to get it to the low 2900's and still be a complete car. It's just getting the time to do it.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by marksboy7
Well for one, the camaro's are generally lighter than the firebirds from the factory in the first place so that makes a considerable difference.
Not really, it usually depends on what model and options are being compared. Both type of cars with the exact same options (seats, hardtop, wheels, year etc...) are within a couple lbs from eachother. Obviously a low optioned z28 and a full optioned T/A are a good amount of weight difference but that is apples to oranges.

Originally Posted by MFJ
Ive asked HIO and 92notch a **** load of questions and ive learned alot about where you can get weight out of these cars from.

Lightweight battery (hio has a 4lb battery) bucket seats (12lbs each) carbon fiber hood (still keeping functioning hood latch etc..) no and or holw sawed bumper supports, tubular kmember or holesawed stock k-member, light weight wheels and tires, Light weight clutch setup (mini twin disc or tripple disc will drop close to 40lbs off the driveline), lightweight UDP, No spare and jack, single dumped ORY or dumped true duals, no traction control etc, a bunch more **** you can do But those are th major ones. I have BS done to my car and the other day i did the math and i should be over 100lbs off of the car and most of which was just removing and replacing ****.

Check out member studerin's build thread its super detailed and he has weight figures for everything he removes, gives you alot of ideas.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...itch-diet.html

This thread has weight figures for ALOT of **** aswell.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...y-updated.html

Last edited by adamantium; 03-13-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:47 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

That's good information. Thanks guys. Gonna start pulling more wieght this weekend.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

I have yet to take the nose off my 2000 T/A dd. I assume if you remove the bumper supports completely you would need the MWC support right? Did 92notch cut the larger holes as well?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Camaro is 3380 race weight with a 99% full tank, I'm 175lbs. Have all sound deadening, ac, cruise, full interior but no rear seats.
Basically a k member, lexan rear window, and no bumper supports, haven't really cut anything off the car yet
Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by marksboy7
^^^^truth.

Not really, it usually depends on what model and options are being compared. Both type of cars with the exact same options (seats, hardtop, wheels, year etc...) are within a couple lbs from eachother. Obviously a low optioned z28 and a full optioned T/A are a good amount of weight difference but that is apples to oranges.
I wouldn't say couple of lbs. The OP has a ws6 which was the heaviest f body and he stated with the weight reduction he has done he is at 3320. I have a 2001 SS Camaro and with the little weight reduction I have done is the same as the OP except for the back seats and my car was scaled at 3425. 105lbs is a decent chunk of weight.

I'm getting ready to replace the k member and the front bumper support so I can get the car down below the 3400 mark. I would like to get to 3400 with me in it but that is going to take some work. I'm 220lbs. I think it would be easier to just hire a lightweight driver LOL!

Quick Reply: Weighed my car today (Race weight)