Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily drivers with a roll cage, please come in.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 05:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wolferacecraft 6 point chrome moly painted sebring silver metallic
Old 04-23-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

I see everyone talking about the harness. Is it also required when running fast enough to need a cage? Does anybody have a good link to a complete set of rules for different ET's?
Old 04-23-2004, 12:56 PM
8 second mod

i have a wolfe 6pt, i paid extra for a swingout on both sides, the only time they ever get used is if my plump friends want a ride. i was daily with this car, now it is more of an after work, good weather weekend car, but the cage isnt bad imo. the only thing i dont like is i got steel not moly! i wish i got moly!
Old 04-23-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

A 5 pt harness is required (by NHRA rules) if you have a rollbar in the car. It doesn't matter how fast you are going - if you have a bar, you have to have the harness (again, by NHRA rules).
Old 04-23-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is it really that bad not having the swingouts, is it a pain in the *** getting in and out of the car?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
Here's my rollbar its a Wolfe 6 point bolt in i painted it red.
its really not that hard to get in and out everyday.

i have the same one im mine, but with pading on it so it dont hurt when my but hit it. its not bad at all. you get to were it's not even there.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
the looks you get driving a car with a cage on the street regularly - priceless!!

yea, its a great feeling when you have the tops off and everyone can see it.
but with a lopin car and a big cage i cant get any street races anymore. i even painted it black to blend in with the interior instea of white, but still no luck. oh well, now i have to go to the track more often to get my fix.
The following users liked this post:
455GTO (01-25-2020)
Old 04-23-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BIGBOS
Is it really that bad not having the swingouts, is it a pain in the *** getting in and out of the car?
I have a 5 point Wolf bar with swing out. The wolf standard bar has a nice dip in it... but IMO.. swing out is the only way to go for a car that's driven on the street alot.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
yea, its a great feeling when you have the tops off and everyone can see it.
but with a lopin car and a big cage i cant get any street races anymore. i even painted it black to blend in with the interior instea of white, but still no luck. oh well, now i have to go to the track more often to get my fix.
Your bank account, insurance, and drivers license will all thank you! I intentionally painted my cage a contrasting color to deter street racing and curb my temptation! I can't afford to get caught - I take my racing to the track only these days!
Old 04-24-2004, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Here's mine,, it's a Wolfe 6 point, weld in with swingouts. I haven't pulled the swingouts out since I put it in. IMO it's not bad, getting in is just like sliding over a bar into the seat,, getting out can be a pain, especially in a tight parking spot.

I need to get some seats now,, anyone have any suggestions?? Links?
Attached Thumbnails Daily drivers with a roll cage, please come in.-cageh000.jpg   Daily drivers with a roll cage, please come in.-cageh001.jpg   Daily drivers with a roll cage, please come in.-cageh002.jpg   Daily drivers with a roll cage, please come in.-cage001.jpg  
Old 04-24-2004, 10:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIGBOS
I have a Wolfe 6 point without swing outs. The first few days it seemed like a bitch getting in and out (it's harding getting out than it is getting in). But after a few weeks it's no big deal. Passangers do complain though, one of the girls I hang out with tryed getting out of the car with a skirt on, by the time she got out the skirt was pretty much up around her waist. I thought it was funny but she didn't find it amusing.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Speaking of insurance, has anyone tried to get a discount for making the car safer? Or is it best to not tell them so they don't ask why you have one? Cause I know racing will void insurance. That's why tow vehicles are good- so if you wreck you can take the car away and then send it off the freway and then call the insurance.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:55 PM
9 Second Club

I would not recommend telling your insurance company that you have a rollcage - that leads to "why do you have that" and "how much horsepower do you have" - next thing you know you'll be looking for a new insurance company. When we mod and race cars like ours, we are taking a risk that if anything ever happens to it, we may have a problem.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea my insurance company is pretty close to dropping me because my father accidently told them I had a supercharger on the car with slicks......good idea......

And he wanted to know about liability......HAHAHA

Anyone know how much a 10pt cage w/no swingouts would be welded up/labor? Any ball park prices here, anyone do it?
Old 04-25-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been daily driving my car with a 5-point rollbar in it for about a year now. Some days I curse the side bars, most of the time it's not a problem. You get used to sliding over it really quick. I plan on making the door bar removable sometime this summer, and possibly putting in the 2nd removable door bar on the passenger side just to finish it off.

I left my stock seat belts in the car and I use them while daily driving. The lower 3 belts of my harness neatly tuck under the seat and the shoulder straps are usually either hanging from the crossbar behind the seat or I take them off and put them in the back of the car.

FYI. I have a competition engineering 8-point kit (same thing jegs/summit sells), though I did not install the trans tunnel brace bars. I had the door bars bent slightly and the back downbars a bit so things would fit more the way I wanted them to.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BOOSTAT4500
I am finally facing the fact that I'm going to need a cage to continue racing. I just ran 12.05 at 5000' elevation, and am moving to sea level next month, so I'm expecting low 11's. How bad is it having a cage in a daily driver? I do an easy 15k a year so am I going to get sick of it real quick? I figure I'd do removable door pieces to help a little. Also, any recomendations on which brand to get? Wolf is the only one I've seen so far, are there any others? Thanks
a lot of guys are calling roll bars cages this is also wrong [this is quite common]so when some one calls for quote first we have to find out what they are talking about :drivepro
heres a paragraph i made for the fast ls1 site [it is also post in ls1 tech a few times as people asked ] alot of people are useing the wrong terminoligy] ,a cage is a cage and a roll bar is a roll bar[a roll bar can have 5pts 6pts 7pts and8 pts,a cage can have 6 pt ,8,10 12pts] a lot of people call up for cages and their trying to ask for roll bars its a common mistake
,most cages are actualy are 6pt unless 2 diagnal bars go to tunnel or frame connectors[before everyone jumps on me the 2 side bars usually go to the front uprights so unless you have the 2 diags like i said and they are mandatory when a cage is put on plates[pge 209 of rule book see diag. read D] if its a chassis car[ ie chevelle,malibu,corvetteanything with a full frame under it]the cage then has to be mounted to the chassis and dosnt require the 2 diags to tunnel. what else is needed are ,a window net,padding anywhere drivers helmet can contact[pge 203], and the instaler should put tabs for required shoulder harness [so its bolted to spine bar and cannot slip off you in case of accident]and if you go faster than 9.99 a chassis cert that should cover the basics hope this helps. bob
Old 04-27-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres a quick pic of my 2002 Camaro Z28 with a Wolfe Cromoly 6-pt. Roll Bar w/swingout side bars & Simpson SFI padding & a Simpson Harness. Not that great of a pic, but you can get the idea of what it looks like.

Old 05-13-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I too am looking for a cage for my 'vert. I am also glad to hear the pro's and con's of the Wolfe 6pt bolt-in, which I am considering, too. I haven't been able to find a good shop here in the FL panhandle to do a custom job. Just want the most room for the kids to joy ride, too.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I guess I am wanting a 6 pt roll bar.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by purevilss
I too am looking for a cage for my 'vert. I am also glad to hear the pro's and con's of the Wolfe 6pt bolt-in, which I am considering, too. I haven't been able to find a good shop here in the FL panhandle to do a custom job. Just want the most room for the kids to joy ride, too.
Elite Race Cars in ft pierce did my wolfe but also does custom jobs! talk to jason, its a little bit of a drive from the panhandle, but i went all the way up there from naples!, well worth it!

Quick Reply: Daily drivers with a roll cage, please come in.