Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very low usage Slicks, but sat for 5+ years???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very low usage Slicks, but sat for 5+ years???

Hey Guys,

I have a set of slicks on my drag car, but since meeting my wife the car took a backseat for quite a few years. I ahve finally been given permission to race again...haha...and I still have these guys mounted where it was last parked.

Let me give you the facts:

- once it was parked it was jacked up and no weight was put on them.
- they've been in a garage where no sunlight could get to them.
- they look good and feel fine
- they have sat for over 5 years snce their last usage...sad I know.
- plenty of meat left on them.

I am finally getting going on my turbo build up and I would like to get moving as soon as I can, but I don't want to be stupid.

What are your thoughts on using them for a few initial passes???

Thanks!
Dave
Old 05-19-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were they stored at a constant temperature? If they were in a non heated garage and you live in a colder climate id consider them toast.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in a similar situation. My dragster slicks (hoosier 33.5-16-15) were last ran over 3 years ago. They too have only a few passes on them. I dismounted them and they sat for 2 years in my shop out of sunlight. Once I got the wheels powder coated and re sfi tagged, I remounted them and inflated them to 25-30 psi and installed the rim screws. they are now sitting inflated in a dark room and I hope to use them this summer. I plan on doing some test and tune stuff (learning to tune alcohol on efi with boost) then putting on a fresh set for next season.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Sunlite or not, the ozone will kill them!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Use your best judgment. On my old car, the tires were on their 5th year when I started running it. They had about 50% meat left. I watched them close and they were fine. The pressure didnt drop once inflated, and before hitting the track I did a burnout and checked them immediately after as well as some spirited highway driving, they were good.
I attended two weekend races with those tires and the car had 60fts between 1.40-1.42 and were fine on the big end. I put on new tires and 60fts dropped two hundredths.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Teching In

I would not chance it!
Me and my father use to race our 66 Chevy II at Campbel Raceway in Hawaii.
I drove, my dad did the wrenching. We purchased the chassis and built the car around it. total build time was around 4 years. With dad getting sick at one point, it slowed our build down.
The M/T slicks we had had a few small cracks from sitting in our A/C office while the car was in the building stages.
I asked my dad after mounting the rims and tires because I was a bit concerned about running some passes on those old but new slicks..now about 5 years old but brand new, in the A/C , never mounted. Dad thought it was fine however I was leary.

Well long story short, the right rear Slick came apart after my 5th shake down pass.
The pass I really put it all down and the first full power, complete quarter mile pass.
As I went to pull the Chute lever, then hit the brakes...Boom!
In no time I was into the wall, sparks everywhere! Car was totalled!
I broke my right clavicle after hitting the wall at 172 mph! Ran a 9.1 slamming into the wall!..lol

I was very lucky...the car, not so much.

Don't risk it!

Last edited by SPDKNGG; 05-19-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: can't spell!lol
Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SPDKNGG
I would not chance it!
Me and my father use to race our 66 Chevy II at Campbel Raceway in Hawaii.
I drove, my dad did the wrenching. We purchased the chassis and built the car around it. total build time was around 4 years. With dad getting sick at one point, it slowed our build down.
The M/T slicks we had had a few small cracks from sitting in our A/C office while the car was in the building stages.
I asked my dad after mounting the rims and tires because I was a bit concerned about running some passes on those old but new slicks..now about 5 years old but brand new, in the A/C , never mounted. Dad thought it was fine however I was leary.

Well long story short, the right rear Slick came apart after my 5th shake down pass.
The pass I really put it all down and the first full power, complete quarter mile pass.
As I went to pull the Chute lever, then hit the brakes...Boom!
In no time I was into the wall, sparks everywhere! Car was totalled!
I broke my right clavicle after hitting the wall at 172 mph! Ran a 9.1 slamming into the wall!..lol

I was very lucky...the car, not so much.

Don't risk it!
Well ****...this convinced me! Glad ur ok!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Well ****...this convinced me! Glad ur ok!
Yeah, thanks. We kick ourselves in the butt all the time for that mistake!
$60,000 plus went right down the tube over some $1250.00 dollar slicks!
Just not worth the risk.

Quick Reply: Very low usage Slicks, but sat for 5+ years???