Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros & cons of bolt in vs. weld in roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pros & cons of bolt in vs. weld in roll bar

ive needed to get one for awhile now and ive put it off because im just not sure on what to get.

what should i take into consideration before i buy either one?

thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would do weld in b/c it is stronger! I don't know the track rules on this. As far as a resale value goes, I don't see a any pro/cons both you have to cut the carpet, one you have drilled holes and the other welded plates!
Bolt in cost more!
Old 04-26-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

price seemed not to matter because it cost more to put the cheaper weld in, true?

but its stronger, so thats a good reason :-)
Old 04-26-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go weld in all the way, there is no reason not to.

The only reason someone would go with a bolt in roll bar is because you don't need to know how to weld to install it, I guess. But I wouldn't call the bolt roll bar install easy either. Its just as much work as a weld in one.

I went to Chassis Engineering and bought a 8 point roll bar with 2 swing out kits for $230 total. I went to the tool store and bought a nice little Lincoln mig welder with wire and gas feed for $400. I bought a book on how to weld and a nice auto tinting mask for another $60. Read the book, learned about all different types of metals and welders/wires/gases etc. I got some scrap metal played with welding for a day, got used to the welder settings depending on the thickness of the metal and how slow/fast to move my bead.

The next day I installed 6 of my 8 point cage myself with swing outs on both sides. It came out as good as any shop would have done. I paid about the same price as a bolt in roll bar for everything and I now own a great little welder which I've used a 100 times already.

A bolt in roll bar, is not as strong and might not pass tech at some tracks. If your thinking about getting a bolt in bar so you have the option to remove it later a weld in bar is not difficult to remove either. I've done it before, simply sawsall the bars and use a grinder to grind down to the plates.

Also welding is alot of fun =)

Lee
Old 04-27-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a bolt in Wolf 5 point. Ended up having it welded in after seeing the size of the holes I'd be drilling in the car. So I now have a welded bolt in bar
Old 04-27-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

weld in unless you plan on selling the car soon (and if you are, then why are you racing?).

these are safety items to protect your life dummy! do the right thing, spend a few extra and live to tell another story. good luck!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wussed out and brought the Vette into a shop for the install. Weld in, powdercoat, harness. Cost $2000 parts and labor. My butt hurts. Hope he sends me flowers after he's done...

If you have free time, you can save alotta $$$ doing it yourself. Welding means never having to check the bolts for tightness. And here's the real deal, you are buying something that you might actually use someday. If welding is safer, why not?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by McRat
I wussed out and brought the Vette into a shop for the install. Weld in, powdercoat, harness. Cost $2000 parts and labor. My butt hurts. Hope he sends me flowers after he's done...

If you have free time, you can save alotta $$$ doing it yourself. Welding means never having to check the bolts for tightness. And here's the real deal, you are buying something that you might actually use someday. If welding is safer, why not?
Damn that is some big cash, I payed $2500 for custom 8pt chromoly painted,Nos brackets,and fuel access door!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...30200172qjKREv

Quick Reply: pros & cons of bolt in vs. weld in roll bar