Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternate skinnies, good info inside!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
(and you should always try to avoid hard braking with any skinny to prevent additional loading).
What do you call slowing down from 140 to 40 in 5-6 seconds at the top end of the track? I think that constitutes hard braking, and that is really the only kind of driving that is done on the tires.

IMO, skinnies are the most dangerous thing you can put on a drag car, period. It is just not worth the small ET gain for me.

Al
Old 07-17-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Photochop
I like the idea of a wider skinny up front of equal weight to the more narrow stuff thats available, but you really need to run a wider wheel. These fit...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...t-perfect.html

And your General Altimax RT's are on sale at tirerack for $66/ea.
Only ones on on TireRack that are 26" are these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I don't like the fact that they look flat when they are on personally.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T6Rocket
What do you call slowing down from 140 to 40 in 5-6 seconds at the top end of the track? I think that constitutes hard braking, and that is really the only kind of driving that is done on the tires.

Al
i call that a short track. no where near that bad where i run (sgmp)
Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 AM
12 Second Club

I think this thread is a little misleading. In my opinion, I didnt switch to skinnies because it was the "cool" thing to do, I did it because it is a good setup for the car. That being said, I purchase my skinny tires that are the proper tire for the job, and fully accept that it might be a couple extra dollars more because of that.

Last edited by 93camaro_zzz; 07-24-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
I think this thread is a little misleading. In my opinion, I didnt switch to skinnies because it was the "cool" thing to do, I did it because it is a good setup for the car. That being said, I purchase my skinny tires that are the proper tire for the job, and fully accept that it might be a couple extra dollars more because of that.
I don't really see how it's misleading? Sure, some have a different opinion on whether it's okay to mount a 205 tire on a 3.5-4" wheel ..but I never said this is the best way, just an alternate way that in my opinion, and others, is a good alternate to VW tires and expensive tires(which have mixed reviews). There are people on here that have blown, had knots in, and only got 500 miles out of the expensive skinnies that were built for this ..so who's to say they are any better? There really isn't a clear winner here, so might as well let everyone know all of their options.

As for skinnies being the "cool" thing to do and whatever else you're rambling about, I don't know where you're going with that or what made you think this thread was about trying to be cool, but you definitely missed the point if that's what you think this is about.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

205/65/15's are 8" x 25.5".......these are 5" wide wheels.

http://tires.tirerack.com/search?asu...F15+H&x=16&y=3

Name:  Breshow_zps311dd844.jpg
Views: 5061
Size:  54.9 KB
Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that looks pretty good, they don't look flat. What PSI do you run in them? Almost your car is almost definitely lighter than a 4th gen, so I'm sure that plays into it.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tan327
I don't really see how it's misleading? Sure, some have a different opinion on whether it's okay to mount a 205 tire on a 3.5-4" wheel ..but I never said this is the best way, just an alternate way that in my opinion, and others, is a good alternate to VW tires and expensive tires(which have mixed reviews). There are people on here that have blown, had knots in, and only got 500 miles out of the expensive skinnies that were built for this ..so who's to say they are any better? There really isn't a clear winner here, so might as well let everyone know all of their options.

As for skinnies being the "cool" thing to do and whatever else you're rambling about, I don't know where you're going with that or what made you think this thread was about trying to be cool, but you definitely missed the point if that's what you think this is about.
Ok, I read back over my post and saw that I kind of came off as an ***, so sorry about that, but I guess what I was trying to say was, there are certain things that I would "re-invent the wheel" on, or choose an option that is not mainstream, but not on skinny tires. I chose my Moroso DS2's from the simple fact of experience I guess. At my local racetrack, I saw this tire on almost all of the fast cars running 5's and better (1/8th mile), and after talking with quite a few of them, I found very positive feedback (Kind of the same thing you did). So in addition to the positive feedback, I love the stance of a skinny tire much more than a wider 205. You know what I mean?

Before I had the MT skinny which wore pre-maturely, but was most likely attributed to a misalignment of my front end. But I also learned that I didn't like so much the size of the 26" skinny, so now I am running a 25x4.5-15 to give it JUST a little bit more stance. I have a feeling when the car gets faster, however, that I will need to go back to probably a 26x6.0 tire for the high speed stability.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

M/t sr tires are about the best option for a drivable skinny I have seen. Couple guys I know run a 17 inch skinny and run a motorcycle tire on them, can't remember what one but I know it was the heaviest duty one they could find... Last about 10k and they're worn out but no blowouts at all... May be worth looking into

Quick Reply: Alternate skinnies, good info inside!