Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? Street car at the track or track car on the street

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha.

I'm trying to get mine down to 3000 w/o me. Got about 150 to go. Took the carpet out and that really dropped a lot of weight. Lexan is a possibility for the rear hatch glass but not sure if I wanna go that extreme.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Giutar your pretty dumb.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

you're pretty dumb
Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from personal experience I got addicted and started pulling everything I could on cars in the past. It was fine for a while, but in the end just became unbearable to drive at times. Its all preference on what one can do without and what they cant do without. Cars get loud and rattle with no insulation/ sound deadening. No a/c means super hot summers and no heat means cold fall nights. I can put up with quite a bit, but the car I have now doesn't see much street time anymore

Last edited by BennyB; 08-11-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Noise is what drives me nuts. Exhaust dumped under axle is extremely loud with no carpet in the cabin.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
Noise is what drives me nuts. Exhaust dumped under axle is extremely loud with no carpet in the cabin.
exactly and a lot of the suspension mods to cut good short times make it tough to run any kind of exhaust. Right now I just run the headers into 16 in. extensions. it ends up dumping the exhaust right under the front seats... its horrible. Ive been researching mufflers for it and I think that it would help a lot with cabin noise
Old 08-11-2013, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Damn, that's gotta be loud as hell. I've got bullet mufflers and it doesn't do much for the noise. If you can get someone to bend a custom exhaust, you can get it to go out the back. You'll have to go to 2.5 in duals and twist them all around all the other crap in the way.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took it out this weekend and it was nice driving it and being able to turn the AC on when driving. Then turn the AC off, open the cut-out, open the bottle and bust some peoples ***. It is staying a nice fast street car.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Guitar
YES I am so mad that your car is a turd and that you disagree with me on some irrelevant issue
Old 08-12-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

This thread is funny

Anyways, you will get 10 different answers from 10 different people. Just do what you want. I've found that you have a couple groups of people that make up the majority of the hobby......

A. The Drag Racer: The one end of the spectrum
Cut, gut, strip, weight reduction is the key. Big cams, lots of nitrous, huge turbos, whatever. Overdrive is pointless. Skinnies and slicks are the only way to travel. It's a race car and not "really" legal to drive on the street.

B. The Street/Strip Warrior: The middle, the very broad middle
This guy wants to be able to legally drive his car on the street and be able to take his girl to the movies. He also wants to head to the drag strip and run a decent time for fun. You might lose A/C along the way, or get rid of ABS, but at the end of the day its a "fast" legal street car. It's a fine line, and varies from person to person.

C. The Purist: The other end of the spectrum
These want to keep their car as near stock as possible, do some tasteful mods, have a nice throaty exhaust, and cruise wherever and whenever.

While at a local cruise night recently I witnessed a bunch of these people. There was the bone stock C6Z, to the tubbed/big tire drag car, to the 69 Camaro with a Procharger and LS based engine. While there I found myself smiling because I like to be around them all. You might question what my goal is for my car? I want to have some rendition of the street/strip warrior. It will never be stock-ish (too late for that), nor will it be a dedicated drag car. At the end of the day, I will enjoy my car for what it is no matter what anyone says. And remember, most things are reversible, so just get to work and start modding!!! Enjoy the hobby.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Most of it has to do with age. As you get older, your tolerance for not having A/C and other comforts goes down. So keep that in mind if you plan to have your car "forever". Ten years down the road you might wish you had kept that A/C & heat.

Al
Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
This thread is funny

Anyways, you will get 10 different answers from 10 different people. Just do what you want. I've found that you have a couple groups of people that make up the majority of the hobby......

A. The Drag Racer: The one end of the spectrum
Cut, gut, strip, weight reduction is the key. Big cams, lots of nitrous, huge turbos, whatever. Overdrive is pointless. Skinnies and slicks are the only way to travel. It's a race car and not "really" legal to drive on the street.

B. The Street/Strip Warrior: The middle, the very broad middle
This guy wants to be able to legally drive his car on the street and be able to take his girl to the movies. He also wants to head to the drag strip and run a decent time for fun. You might lose A/C along the way, or get rid of ABS, but at the end of the day its a "fast" legal street car. It's a fine line, and varies from person to person.

C. The Purist: The other end of the spectrum
These want to keep their car as near stock as possible, do some tasteful mods, have a nice throaty exhaust, and cruise wherever and whenever.

While at a local cruise night recently I witnessed a bunch of these people. There was the bone stock C6Z, to the tubbed/big tire drag car, to the 69 Camaro with a Procharger and LS based engine. While there I found myself smiling because I like to be around them all. You might question what my goal is for my car? I want to have some rendition of the street/strip warrior. It will never be stock-ish (too late for that), nor will it be a dedicated drag car. At the end of the day, I will enjoy my car for what it is no matter what anyone says. And remember, most things are reversible, so just get to work and start modding!!! Enjoy the hobby.
That is pretty good stuff. Pretty accurate I think. Oh yeah, one more thing. Purists are dorks.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2camaros6702
I took it out this weekend and it was nice driving it and being able to turn the AC on when driving. Then turn the AC off, open the cut-out, open the bottle and bust some peoples ***. It is staying a nice fast street car.
Then put together a solid shortblock and get setup to push more spray through it. To me nitrous is the best option for a street car. If you want to run open the bottle flip the switch and let it eat. Lets face it you don't need an extra 100+ hp all the time.

I've seen Doug's car. Yes it's light, and yes he's taken creative steps to get it there but it's not a coke can on wheels. He took the time to do a clean job that a lot of guys won't. At the same time kept things most would dump right off the bat (me included) and found other ways to get the weight out.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 427 Likes on 337 Posts

Thanks 1320!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by T6Rocket
Most of it has to do with age. As you get older, your tolerance for not having A/C and other comforts goes down. So keep that in mind if you plan to have your car "forever". Ten years down the road you might wish you had kept that A/C & heat.

Al
Very true. The loud exhaust is the most annoying thing to me. When I started building the car at 26, it was cool to have the loud exhaust that everyone can hear a mile away. I'm 33 now and it's absolutely annoying. This is the biggest reason I don't drive it much.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on a trailer to the race track = race car
driving it on the street to the race track = street car

full exhaust out the back is the way to go, you can have lightweight carpet and stripped dash, all sound pads. And it quieter insode the car then a factory stock body car with cam and dumped exhaust under the car. Keep it simple, no switches to turn on and off, no belts to change, fuel, spark plugs, the tune....just turn the key and drive anywhere, or race. Just adjust the shocks, tire pressure is really nice as the only prep.

over 3K race weight, in DOT street trim is heavy 27XX drives, starts and stops alot better, then 3700 with "race" parts

Last edited by studderin; 08-14-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
Very true. The loud exhaust is the most annoying thing to me. When I started building the car at 26, it was cool to have the loud exhaust that everyone can hear a mile away. I'm 33 now and it's absolutely annoying. This is the biggest reason I don't drive it much.
Exhaust is a relatively easy fix. Get something new and slap it on there, sell your old stuff.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by studderin
I don't 100% agree with this. If I had the money to have a trailer and towing vehicle, I'd tow a car to the track. Street car trailered to the track = cheap insurance in case something breaks.

You should state it:
Car NEEDS to be trailered to the track = race car
Car can be driven to the track LEGALLY = street car
Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
Yep..
Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

When your driving to another state to race by yourself it's nice to trailer there you never know when something could break even on a stock car.

In the past I owned street cats that required Race fuel , gutted out etc... To me if you can get away with driving it on the street it's a street car if you can't it's not but everybody's opinion will be different on this based on their own personal experiences-there is no line in the sand on this one.

Quick Reply: ?? Street car at the track or track car on the street