Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier QTP Streetable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hoosier QTP Streetable?

Hello everyone. I am narrowing down my choices to run a drag setup that is somewhat streetable. I have decided to run Weld RTS 17x7's up front and Weld RT 15x10's out in the rear. I am going to run a regular radial 225/50/17 up front (26" tire). I am trying to decide on a rear tire. Right now I really like the Hoosier QTP Bias ply 27x11.5x15 (27" tire). However, I am wondering what the streetability is of the Hoosier QTP bias ply. Do they puncture easily? Walk around the highway real bad etc. I rarely drive the vehicle (maybe 1000 miles per year at the VERY VERY most). Also, what does everyone think about running tubes with the QTP's? Thank you for any information.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tubes will make it more stable not only while driving but with tire psi and well. Remember screws or locks are the only way to safely use a tube. As far as streetable I say yes, I drove on them for a season on the street. That's kinda your call if it's too loose or not, I say for 1,000 miles over a year just remember you've got bias ply's on the back and you'll be fine. They will get punctured easier than a street radial but that's the same with any tire designed for racing.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the info. That is helpful. I have researched a bit and found that a lot of users with qtps are not using tubes. I may try to go without them to save weight. I am also wondering what everyone's thoughts are on running the qtps and 225 radials up front. It seems as if the qtps are more stable than et streets. I wouldn't mind getting drag radials out back but they don't make a 27" drag radial. The only 27 that they make is a 255/60/15. And that won't work with my 15x10s, plus it won't look quite right either. Any other personal experience is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive smart and you'll be fine, I'll be highway driving some Hoosier 27x11.5 QTPs in the future on my track days when my 26x11.5 et streets wear out. 255/45/17's up front on mine.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't used my QTPs on the track yet but I drove over 50+ miles on them and my skinnies on Sunday, they are fine. Even took some corners at 60...I highly advise against that. But they are very stable on the highway at speed. Low speed I get a LOT of vibrations/weird feeling, but I am attributing this to the fact that I have skinnies up front AND they are unbalanced on the rear.

Do NOT run bias out back and radials up front. If you were running purely at the track, MAYBE - I'd still advise against it personally. On the street, hell no. I've never driven it but after reading I would not recommend it to anyone ever.

I don't run mine screwed or tubed. They haven't seem to have lost any air yet, but I did the dish soap trick to hopefully help with that.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
I haven't used my QTPs on the track yet but I drove over 50+ miles on them and my skinnies on Sunday, they are fine. Even took some corners at 60...I highly advise against that. But they are very stable on the highway at speed. Low speed I get a LOT of vibrations/weird feeling, but I am attributing this to the fact that I have skinnies up front AND they are unbalanced on the rear.

Do NOT run bias out back and radials up front. If you were running purely at the track, MAYBE - I'd still advise against it personally. On the street, hell no. I've never driven it but after reading I would not recommend it to anyone ever.

I don't run mine screwed or tubed. They haven't seem to have lost any air yet, but I did the dish soap trick to hopefully help with that.
I drove with the actual hoosier skinnies up front and the car drove fine. When I ran the skinnies from like pep boys, it had a little issue and with the stock 17's on the front it had a little more of an issue but nothing like an ET Street bias ply on the back. ET Streets are horrible with any radial tire up front.

I'm sticking to Hoosier and not looking back.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Good information. I have driven with radials up front and bias out back but it was on a GTO. It seemed fine to me, I believe they were 245 radials up front. I was hoping that if I run a skinny radial such as a 225 it would help minimize any instability from the QTPs. My other worry is that I trap in the 130s and am unsure if the QTPs are stable at those high of speeds without tubes in them.

I have driven with et streets on a c6 before and I would NEVER buy those tires. They grip like a **** but they are extremely unstable on the highway. I thought that I was going to lose it just going 60mph. Of course this isn't MTs fault as they are supposed to be a competition tire only. I just couldn't believe how much the car moved from side to side with the et streets.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ET streets on mine with no problems on the street. I'm getting ready to go on Drag Week for my third year and I've run them every year so far. I also have radials on the front and I'll probably never put a bias ply back on. As long as you use your head and remember what you've got on there, you'll be fine. That being said, if it starts to rain...just pull over. That **** ain't fun!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

Good to know that you were able to run et streets without a problem. I guess every car is different and will react differently to certain tires. I just could not believe how loose the car felt when I drove them on the street. Just my personal experience. As far as driving in the rain, I never drive my car if there is even a chance of rain. It is purely a track and pleasure vehicle.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I only ran QTPs on mt FWD gtp. I notice there lighter then ETstreets and more square. The sidewall is kinda thin, t56 car I would see how they hold up if you wear out the tread or the sidewall, if its the sidewall I would run tubes to help with the life.
I ran 25 psi around town I put 28 in once to drive down the hwy 45mins. dont know it that was better or not. On bais plys if you find a road a semi, farm tractor or whatever big heavy truck put groove in the bais plys will follow that. Radials dont do that.
And with them and slicks on hot days in the sun when you drive 50+ for a few mins they get hot, like after burnout hot so they pick up rocks, and you can hear them ripping up the crack sealer **** on the hwy. That kinda kills them too, I think my friend had his aliment off on his camaro but after a trip, on a hot day his slicks looks like he was driving on a cheese grader, the got warmed up soft, and got beat up. So I think thats a big thing if your just driving around town, is different then cruising 70+mph on 85*+ days for 20-45+mins
Old 08-28-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 208 Likes on 93 Posts

The better question is do you like to do wheelies on the street?
QTP's have served me well on the street for years (1500 miles/yr/no tubes/no screws). I run MT Sportsman SR's
on the front with no issues. Low 10sec FBody....
Old 08-28-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Got it. The track is about 15 miles from my house so that shouldn't be too big of a deal. I don't take my car out of town or anything. Just around the neighborhood and the track... Generally stay pretty local.

I have always driven on drag radials so I'm used to driving slow around corners and the like. My hoosier drag radials have fairly soft sidewalls and I only run about 19psi cold in them. Just have to remember what tires are on the back.

Cdubbz: really good info. Glad to hear that the qtps are fairly street friendly. I'm hoping the small 225 radials will be fine with qtps out back. Like I said before I would be more than happy running hoosier radials but they don't make them in a 27".
Old 08-29-2013, 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I run a 27x11.5x15 on my Trans Am. I haven't driven them on the street a lot but I can say this for sure, they're a lot more stable than my old 26x10.5 ET streets. If pretty much the only thing you do with the car is drive it the 30 min round trip to the track I wouldn't mind it but if your gonna be far enough away from home to be caught in the rain, really get them hot, I would find a street set up. I used to drive my ET streets about 2 1/2 hours to the track and pretty much at all times they were noticeable but when it rained or I left them a little low on air pressure they were scary. Rain equaled death with those but I can't tell you with the QTP but they do drive a ton better. Hook better to. I'm cutting 1.51s with a stick.

Quick Reply: Hoosier QTP Streetable?