Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideal converter slip %?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea if you want the car for roll racing only I think the manual would've been better suited for your needs. Whenever you swap manual to auto you will trap less, its just less efficient.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
Yea if you want the car for roll racing only I think the manual would've been better suited for your needs. Whenever you swap manual to auto you will trap less, its just less efficient.
Well... Its not that I want the car solely for roll racing... more of the fact I want the trap speed up because you are not gonna 1.36 60' on the street..

I drag race the car a few times a year at the strip and do some street racing/roll racing with it. I'm not going back manual....Missing gears and breaking trannies/diffs every time it goes to the strip is OUT... I'm done with manual trannies.. DONE...

The goal here is to pick up my trap speed with the auto.... The by product of that will be a better ET.. It went 1.36 60' without even trying and not going WOT for half a car length out of the gate.. The car will 60' no doubt. I'm sure it would go 1.30 as it sits. I just need to maximize the combo and make it more efficient down the track.... Just trying to get the mph to match the power that the engine has produced.....by way of efficiency. At least as efficient as you can get an auto.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Well... Its not that I want the car solely for roll racing... more of the fact I want the trap speed up because you are not gonna 1.36 60' on the street...
Fast forward to 1:23.... not the norm, but can be done

Old 11-24-2013, 05:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

^That was bawse. HAHAHAHA I love old school videos, lol @ the editing.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Well... Its not that I want the car solely for roll racing... more of the fact I want the trap speed up because you are not gonna 1.36 60' on the street..

I drag race the car a few times a year at the strip and do some street racing/roll racing with it. I'm not going back manual....Missing gears and breaking trannies/diffs every time it goes to the strip is OUT... I'm done with manual trannies.. DONE...

The goal here is to pick up my trap speed with the auto.... The by product of that will be a better ET.. It went 1.36 60' without even trying and not going WOT for half a car length out of the gate.. The car will 60' no doubt. I'm sure it would go 1.30 as it sits. I just need to maximize the combo and make it more efficient down the track.... Just trying to get the mph to match the power that the engine has produced.....by way of efficiency. At least as efficient as you can get an auto.
Your car is efficient as far as ET is concerned. It got down the 1/4 the fastest way possible. You want mph which isn't an indicator of efficiency as far as the 1/4 mile is concerned. Just because you pick up mph doesn't mean you will pick up ET. It's the laws of physics taking place.

The only way to make you combo more efficient is to put a triple disc converter in it and lock it up. You might pick up some mph.

As for the 1.36 60ft on the street............come to my neck of the woods and I will show you how its done.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:40 PM
9 Second Club

Ive ran 6 converters this year all top name companies high dollar units

Fastest and best 60 was coan
this last sat 4-5 1.34 60' had one 1.33 60 NA
engine makes 600hp about 440rwhp
slippage is 5%-5.4% depending on air

All other converters were tighter and slower
Old 11-25-2013, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mdacton

Care to share the other brands you tried? PM if you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Veteran

I'll 2nd Coan Racing for building bad *** converters. Walker is the man over there. We have a few converters from them which have proven themselves time and time again on the street and track
Old 11-25-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting info... Thanks for posting... Hell I'd love it if it was 5% slippage.... I'm over double that..

FTI is building a billet converter that is going 1.22 60' in a blown C6 vette, yet only 2% slip on the top end in the 1/4.

I'm about to call and talk to Craig at Coan and see what he recommends. They have already restalled this thing once and its still not right, maybe switching to the 28s is what hurt it.... Made it much looser.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a new converter from FTI on the way, custom built for my combo. Should be here in a week or so. Hopefully I'll get it in the car in the next couple weekends and then back to the track in January to see what it does...

They felt confident it would be very close to optimal on the first try. Hopefully it helps it down the track. Target slip was around 7-9% so we'll see...

If it proves more efficient, but no faster down the track, then I'll just start adding some power to it.

After talking with Coan about my current converter, apparently they sold me the wrong converter in the first place, we had it adjusted once and its still too loose, then they tell me this converter was not right for this combo and should be in the next level up.... Which means another $900 (On top of the other $900 I already spent, plus the restall shipping).

So lets see how the FTI compares....
Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 PM
8 Second Club

11% slip does sound a little high to me my PTC converter only slips around 5%
Old 11-29-2013, 09:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Our TCI convertor we ran all this year slipped about 5% on the big end.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by powerjames
Our TCI convertor we ran all this year slipped about 5% on the big end.
I wouldn't run a TCI converter in a riding lawnmower.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I wouldn't run a TCI converter in a riding lawnmower.
Silver - not sure how fast your car is, but in my application the TCI has done a very solid job.

In the NMCA West Drag Radial class with a 388ci LS ProCharger engine we ran the quickest time in class history with the TCI - a 7.35 at 189 with a 1.16 60'. We run a TCI 9" convertor setup by Jeff Reed. Won the NMCA finals as well ;-)

What have been your experiences?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by powerjames
Silver - not sure how fast your car is, but in my application the TCI has done a very solid job.

In the NMCA West Drag Radial class with a 388ci LS ProCharger engine we ran the quickest time in class history with the TCI - a 7.35 at 189 with a 1.16 60'. We run a TCI 9" convertor setup by Jeff Reed. Won the NMCA finals as well ;-)

What have been your experiences?
Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I've been busy with the holiday and all.

See, that is one of the issues right there. I don't have Jeff in my back pocket setting things up for me. That's like having Billy Godbold doing my cams. Not gonna happen.

I have taken converters from Yank and Circle D that are off the shelf and ran 8's with them. Had a friend's LS1 firebird bought an off the shelf TCI and it broke on a 12.20 pass. Got the converter fixed and while the car was down my buddy wanted to put heads and cam on the car, plus nitrous. So we put it all together and then the trans had to be rebuilt since the converter took it out. So pretty much a whole new drivetrain. We take it out and run it on motor, it breaks on the second pass and we didn't even spray it. Talked to TCI and long story short is we got the "we not doing anything" speech.

I have been dealing with Coan, Yank and FTI ever since and no issues.

TCI just doesn't make a good converter for the LS motors...Period. I don't wanna hear about to call them up and they can build you one, because other converter companies have triple disc lock ups right on their site and TCI does not. I just haven't had any luck with them and just like any racer on here you stick with what you know works. If you're happy that TCI stuff is working for you, then I'm ecstatic for you.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 AM
9 Second Club

craig did my coan specs He had all complte info I made over 35 engine dyno in one day had all that info as well, scaling etc.

I also used ATI Good unit, had %1 on top end but it didnt leave as hard.
After that I sent to ultimate, have dealt with lenny many times great to deal with he restalled the ATI several times, we tried stator changes angle changes all kinds of stuff. I am looking for everything I can get.

My next thing is front shocks I still have a bounce I need to get out
Here is a vid with some testing of carbs first a gen3 1250 then a prosystem 1000
Just keep in mind this car is a 383 lt1 does not make alot of power and is 3420# with driver and I bracket race footbrake
Old 12-11-2013, 11:38 AM
7 Second Club

on a car thats always having to pull HP to get off the starting line you can end up with a pretty tight converter and still have some really fast 60's because it doesnt need the torque multiplication to get to the 330.

cars that have sub 1000hp are dependent on the torque multiplication to go faster.

why certain companies converters are faster than others isnt necessarily quality its just a different fin count, angle, stator, window, or tolerances...

this big HP cars that are 1500+ just want a smooth torque application and want it pretty tight up top.

Quick Reply: Ideal converter slip %?