Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front shock mounting, afcos. (pics of your setup)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Front shock mounting, afcos. (pics of your setup)

Looking for pics of how some race setups have the front afcos mounted, mostly is is possible to invert them? And now looking don't see that done?

I had strange SA front shock, mounted stock bolt in style. And putting on a set of Afco DA form madman. The upper mount I have the afco mount kit, with the big washed and the spaced dual tabs mount for the top rod end. I know how that gose, I'm just going to tack weld it so it can't turn. The lower has the stock type T bolt mount.
like here https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...de-please.html
My lower Aarms are racecrafts with the flat bracket for the horizontal T bolt to mount, and it has a swaybar tab. I'm going to cut all that braket junk off, and go o 2 vertical tabs for the rod end (removed the Tbolt, with the clip) and weld on a little tab for my travel limiters.
I would like to mount them inverted But looks like the big afco **** is going to be close to hitting the upper A arm?

The car is apart so I can't mock the lower up to cycle right now. I know have some room on the lower Aarm were I weld the tabs later for the angle of the shock. And I've seen some lower A arms with dual vertical tabs with 2 mount positions. What is the design setup with that? Anyone running it, why would you want the adjustment there?
I dont think that is really going to make a big change at the top of the shock, with the **** that close so close to the top pivot. Anyone move the upper mount in more?

Not going to work on the car for a few days with the holiday stuff.

Might be something easy like a thinner, wheel type ****? Didn't even think of this before but can the know face in?

Last edited by studderin; 12-22-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I can invert mine, and it's a possibility that I still may... I honestly can't remember the advantage of inverting them, still learning.... I'm running a full race MWC chromoly front end kit... There's a guy on here that has a six speed that runs low 9's with a ls1 n2o combo that runs MWC front end that has his front shocks inverted.. there's pics of it on MWC website.

so your uppers are the round deal with the spacers and the bracket that comes in a plastic baggy deal? your lowers are a t bracket? Can you possibly post a picture of your lower control arm? I'm bad trying to interpret things lol

Here's a picture of mine how it attaches on the bottom, simply invert it and it's good to go

http://www.midwestchassis.com/f-body...uspension.html
Attached Thumbnails Front shock mounting,  afcos. (pics of your setup)-k1.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The advantage is having less unsprung weight. Basically the heavy, body end of the shock will be part of the transferable weight of the chassis because it is on top of the spring instead of under the spring.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure about clearance with inverting, but here is a shot of mine with the T-boot bracket removed and travel limiter tab.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks guys,

ya check it out, not sure if the **** will hit. And facing it inside of out
Old 12-25-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ull love these afcos
Old 01-01-2014, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Would like to see upper mounts. Everyone just welding the afco bracket? Anyone run the race craft upper mount?
Old 01-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Madman was telling me I will need a torrington bearing kit in the front of mine when I do the Afcos or Strange.It is all new to me so sorry if that is a dumb statement. He is local to me and will be helping me set it all up.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Here's some pictures on my car for the front Madman Afco's.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

You just weld the mount on the top to the stock upper control arm mount?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that some people weld the big washers to the upper shock mounts instead of bolting them on.
But what about the u shape bracket that the shock mounts to, do you weld it to the big washer or just bolt it on?
Thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

thats up to you, you dont have to weld the mount together, its not going to go anywere. I htink afco says to put a tac on it. You just dont want the mount to turn, so the shock get damaged form it binding, in the new upper mount. That comes with the shocks, big washer to spread the load out, and the top clevis mount. you can see pic and DL the dirctions on afcos site if you dont have the shocks that came with it. I got all that with the bearing kit form madman. GMHT also did a install on them with some nice pics and everything.

I was looking if anyone had pic of them inverted. I bought a set of the shock mount tabs racecraft makes for there race style lower Aarms. I'll keep this updated when I get they welded on and if there is **** room the invert mount the shock.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 PM
9 Second Club

What came with the bearing kit?
I saw the article on GMHT. I saw where they welded the round mounting plates to the stock upper strut mount, but I can't tell if they welded the u bracket mount to the round mounting plate.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no welding required at all on the Afco upper mounts
Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 PM
9 Second Club

I knew it was a bolt in kit, but I like the idea of putting alittle tack welds on it.
I'll see this weekend, once I tear into it.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM
9 Second Club

It was a piece of cake!
Think I'll spot weld the round mounting plates, and bolt the
U shape shock mounts.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

What and how much have you guys gone for saving weighs. When you look at a stock shock tower and all the afco hardware there is 3/4 maybe 1inch thick soil metalover the shock, its nuts. There is 3 or 4 layer of metal on the shock tower, the main tower tub, I think a top cap layer, then that top brace. I know, and planning on removing that brace, I remeber a few years ago talking to eric at MWC in the lanes sad it was a few pounds. And see his really nice shop builds been doing it. I think there is a hole under that to get the the shock (stock style) stud.
And the hardware upper afco mount I think is overkill, you can get that on a diet. After the rod end clevis has the big plate washer to spread the weight out on the upper A arm mount/plate.

But I dont see a reason to have the thick spacer washers or the top washer, or even keep the center bolt and nut. I'm not sure about not using the big plate washer? If you can just weld clevis to the A arm mount/plate. Well keep it bolted to weld it centered, then remove the center bolt and top washers stuff.
basically make the stock mount into the racecraft style.

http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=361
Old 02-21-2014, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The fat spacer and washers are required to keep the clevis centered on the control arm mount. If you are just going to weld the clevis to the UCA mount then you could get rid of them... we have done that here already with other brands of shocks that didn't include the oem stud upper type mounting.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:05 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah, get rid of the spacer, top washer, bolt and nut.
Then it would be a weld in kit.
I tack weld my top and bottom washers, don't know why.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya thanks eric. I saw that later on some car builds, the new site looks good.

I just hate stupid, bracket to bracket, spacers.. ect. I like it simple to work on.

Quick Reply: Front shock mounting, afcos. (pics of your setup)