Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you have too much weight transfer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 11:45 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can you have too much weight transfer?

I was just wondering because Im pulling both tires off the ground and I dont really have an extreme setup. The driver's side comes up a little more than the passenger side. Im only pulling mid 1.6s in the 60 ft., I just dont see how theyre getting off. I didnt know if I was getting too much weight transfer and it was hurting my times. I usually run 2 in the front with the R series and 4 in the rear driver's and 6 in the rear passenger. But if just felt like it was going up rather than forward. It looks nice, but Im thinking its hurting me. Its only 4 or 5 inches off the ground, but could that make a difference? I know all cars like different things, but will the settings change as you remove weight from the front end? Ive removed around 90 lbs. off the front off the car. Anyhow, I just figured that you want to push the car forward and not upward then forward. I thought maybe that was hurting a little. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Its only 4 or 5 inches off the ground, but could that make a difference?"

Don't worry about that tiny little wheelie. It's probably helping (traction) more than it's hurting (wasted motion.) When you start seeing nothing but stars during the launch (been there a few times...a very nice view but kinda high on the 'ole pucker factor) and start busting oilpans...WORRY!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:00 PM
9 Second Club NA

Im not worried about seeing stars because this car will never pull them off that high. Are you making fun of my wheelie? On a serious note, what I was wondering if its wasting any time pulling the wheels off the ground rather than pushing them forward. I dunno, Ive been told that even though wheelies are pretty, you dont want to pull them, you want to push that weight forward. Why do you say its helping the traction? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

You can tighten the rears until the car 60ft's worse to reduce weight transfer.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car squats to much it will hit the bump stop and cause the rear to come back up. This will cause the rear wheels to spin.

<------- Happens to me almost ever time at the track.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:12 PM
9 Second Club NA

What about the fronts? Does the front need to be on a stiffer or softer setting? If you stiffen the front up, does it make it harder to lift the wheels or easier? My guess is...the stiffer in the front, the harder it is to come up and the harder it is to go down. Same for the rear, the stiffer, the harder it is to push down and vise versa for both the rear and the front for softer settings. Is that correct? I just thought since I removed all that weight, it trasfers easier to the rear because there is less weight so I thought I would stiffen the front shocks. By the way, theyre the R series, if that makes any difference. (dont know how much they differ from the regular fronts) Thanks.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BlackBeaSSt

You have the idea right, now you just gotta dial the suspension in.

Here is a link my friend sent me explaining some of the fundamental concepts involved in "Launching a Drag Car".

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/i...A_Drag_Car.htm

Enjoy! Its a great read!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Motorboater

Great link SScam..i just bookmarked that bad boy. that's a great read