Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gears + stall

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
i run a 275/60/15. i am not sure where else a 275 tire isnt 28" tall when talking about a car that goes 1.2x 60'. Telling me or others to go to a taller tire tells me you read the jegs catalog too much.
For all I know you could have been talking about an old school Nova or a 50's car on 14's, or hell, could be the other way on an 18" rim running a 30" tire.

I run a 26x10.5 bias ply tire...Im sorry I don't know off hand what size a 275/60/xx tire is because you left half of the specs out, and since it wasn't that relevant to what I was getting at, Im not going to sit there and start converting sizes...hey I can start giving you all numbers in km/h instead of mph...and doesn't hoosier have a 29" tire? so like I said, you can still go to a taller tire.

I shift at 6800 rpm on a 404" street motor. Peak power is irrelevant on a nitrous car. SO lets not talk about mine. On a bolt on car or all motor car like an ls1 with an lsx style intake (broad power curve) - the peak power is also irrelevant. it will make power within a 1000 rpm or greater range. any decent converter will keep you there.
Yes- that is the point of a converter and a shift extension, to keep you in that sweet spot the whole time

a properly matched and spec'd converter keeps the motor in the area where its going to accelerate the best. this is where a real converter manufacturer makes his money. with their experience.
Yes I 100% agree

The idea that gears will help accelerate you into your "happy zone" is 1950s technology and ideology as the conveter already puts you there. in the 1950s street cars needed bigger gearing to get them into that "happy zone" so it could spend the most time it could accelerating.
Here is where I have a hard time- When used together and matched with one another your converter already has you in that "happy zone" and will maintain you in that "happy zone" so long at you are WOT- So why would you not want to zip through that happy zone with bigger gearing? The faster you zip through that happy zone, the faster you are accelerating, yet still remaining in that happy zone are you not?

obviously, most street cars are accelerating quicker at say 5000 to 6000+ when compared to idle to 5000 rpm. So back then (or in a case where someone doesnt understand converter technology they stick with stock junk) - they feel that gears will get them to that 5000 rpm range quicker. additionally, back then, intakes were not engineered to provide airflow throughout the rpm range. they were mostly peaky and rarely did a small motor have any torque or power down low. so they did whatever they could to get up to the rpm band quicker. Thus, the idea that gears make you faster.
I understand the old school thought, I get the old intake designs- I'm talking Ls1's

But they dont with a proper modern setup. more gears only get you out of your power band quicker, which isnt a good thing. again, talking street car stuff and not dedicated race car stuff. the stuff you are talking about is a slow street car (no offense, just reality).
Again your converter if spec'd properly shouldn't ever let that happen- so gears should make you go through your powerband faster no?

my car runs low 9s at mid 140+ in the 1/4 mile

my car runs high 5s at 117+ in the 1/8 mile

it goes to the 60' in 1.2x seconds

my car is over 3600 lbs raceweight

i run 3.73 gear with a 28" radial tire and more gear would only slow me down. also, converter slip should be no more than 5-7% (much less in race applications) and is easily measured at any given speed.
With what transmission? Something tells me you aren't using a 4L60e.

Again I'm not trying to tell you how to run your setup- I don't know anything about your setup, your powerband, your trans, etc.

I've been trying to use a generic consistent example/scenario to explain how I am thinking and it seems to be going over your head because you seem to think that I am trying to tell you how to setup your car
Old 03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What was the original question ?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T400 which has way less gearing than a 4L60e. 3rd gear is still the same at 1/1 in both transmissions.

anyone who is into drag racing cars hears the term "275 tire" but isnt sure on the aspect ratio or height of the tire.....shouldnt be giving advice for racing.

see my sig. we all have one. including you.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
asking who is the smartest non racing LS1 fbody in the world.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Go back to page 1- first post...smart a$$

T400 which has way less gearing than a 4L60e. 3rd gear is still the same at 1/1 in both transmissions.

anyone who is into drag racing cars hears the term "275 tire" but isnt sure on the aspect ratio or height of the tire.....shouldnt be giving advice for racing.

see my sig. we all have one. including you.
As much as it has humored me to argue with you- I am not going to continue going in circles- my brain hurts... the fact that you still think I am giving advice just proves I am talking to a bag of pucks, or atleast someone with as many brain cells.

asking who is the smartest non racing LS1 fbody in the world.
Really? come on dude- I've heard better chirps from 13 year old houseleague hockey players... if you really want to start throwing jabs out there atleast make them count
Old 03-04-2014, 06:06 PM
9 Second Club

That's Mr. Smart A$$ to you.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

That's Mr. Smart A$$ to you.
that would mean I have respect for you...I really don't
Old 03-04-2014, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

I'm beginning to think that you are gay.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

I'm beginning to think that you are gay.
nope...so you can stop swinging from my nut sack anytime now

Early Alzheimer's maybe? That disease is terrible, makes you forget **** and messes with your thoughts...

Last edited by LETZRIDE; 03-04-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

So what gears are you running in your beast? Tell me your gains.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

So what gears are you running in your beast? Tell me your gains.
too many variables in my scenario for a comparison. I went from a 3.90 gear in my 10 bolt to a 4.10 gear in a Ford 8.8 rear end, the only time I ran it with that rear end I had many many bugs. It was faster, but it's really apples to oranges.

I'd be lying if I told you I could attribute any/all gains to the gears because there was way too many factors at play
Old 03-04-2014, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

Alzheimer's , wait, what was that again.
Oh, I forgot.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:01 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah, I'm a little to old to be arguing with a kid and his calculator.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I'm a little to old to be arguing with a kid and his calculator.
You were never arguing, you were verbally vomitting random nonsense into this thread.

again, arguing implies some sort of intelligent conversation. There were some people that brought up intelligent points- you weren't one of them

Alzheimer's , wait, what was that again.
Oh, I forgot.
Atleast you have a sense of humour though...
Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
Go back to page 1- first post...smart a$$

As much as it has humored me to argue with you- I am not going to continue going in circles- my brain hurts... the fact that you still think I am giving advice just proves I am talking to a bag of pucks, or atleast someone with as many brain cells.

Really? come on dude- I've heard better chirps from 13 year old houseleague hockey players... if you really want to start throwing jabs out there atleast make them count
I could have told you everything gator did. I was just smart enough to see you wouldn't listen ahead of time and saved my energy. And, you delivered just as I expected. You come for advice then you don't listen. Its people like you that make the smart experienced guys leave. They get sick and tired of arguing with know it all smart alleck punks who think they know how to mod a car because they read a Jegs catalog and did some daydreaming. I live and breathe these cars/engines just about everyday of my life....you think I wanna help someone who knows everything but has accomplished next to nothing? Doubt it. Like I said, good luck with your goals.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I could have told you everything gator did. I was just smart enough to see you wouldn't listen ahead of time and saved my energy. And, you delivered just as I expected. You come for advice then you don't listen. Its people like you that make the smart experienced guys leave. They get sick and tired of arguing with know it all smart alleck punks who think they know how to mod a car because they read a Jegs catalog and did some daydreaming. I live and breathe these cars/engines just about everyday of my life....you think I wanna help someone who knows everything but has accomplished next to nothing? Doubt it. Like I said, good luck with your goals.
I asked for advice with a technical explanation and still haven't seen one.

I'm not that guy who asks for advice and ignores it, I'm that guy who asks, then challenges concepts to dig deeper. I don't take anyone one person's word as gospel, especially when I have a good understanding of the topic at hand.

I'm asking about the validity of what I see being reported on this site, people like to make multiple changes and then claim all sorts of results were because one particular mod out of 10 changed.

If this here is the technical advice you think "smart" people are giving

big gears are a dumb way for an auto to improve at the track.
Then you're pretty stupid yourself.

Especially when you consider some of the top stock internal cars are running as high as a 4.56 gear... That #1 car in the link below must be reaaaal gay then huh?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...1-74-bump.html

Lastly, I don't claim I know everything about these cars and setups, but I'm a long way from some punk kid who reads some magazine and spews out garbage.

I've been around these cars for more than 8 years- v6 or v8 the gears and stall still function the exact same, and many of the same concepts still apply.

I've done all the work on my car myself, I've pulled apart the rear end, I've installed the ford 8.8, I've gone through the trans, I've torn my engine down to the bare block, I've replaced every suspension part on these things- I'm willing to bet I've lost just as much or more blood than you have on these cars

I've gotten my 96 down to under 3100lbs while still retaining all the ******* safety equipment in the car!! And I still had over 100lbs at least worth of **** I knew I could still take out, AND I had the stock hood and all stock body parts, no carbon fiber pieces no pin on hood, full dash and the whole 9 yards....you looked inside or outside of my car and you couldn't tell for a second anything was stripped out of it! Stock seats, carpet, everything was still there

I've run 3.08's, 3.90's and 4.10 gears in these cars as well as a 3200 stall converter (which I don't consider a high stall)

I did all my own tuning... I could go on and on and on... I have touched every part of these cars, but I am not going to sit here and write you some kind of resume about my experience so that I can get an answer

Last edited by LETZRIDE; 03-06-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

You have a 12 second pass under your belt yet champ? You want a technical explanation? Why? You have all the answers yet are Wasting your time arguing with idiots like us.

Those big gears result in some hard hitting 60' times? You know what I have done and you dismiss my advice so stop being a bitch and prove you aren't just mouth. Proof is in the pudding junior. Shouldnt be hard in a gutted tin can.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Btw that SI list is filled with mostly 3.73/28" tire and 3.23 or 3.42 with 26" tires. Probably 9/10 of them. They are all stupid too (and far and away faster than you).

Speaking of punk kids reading magazines, you can find mine in 3 different issues in GMHTP and High Performance Pontiac (full feature).
Old 03-06-2014, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
I asked for advice with a technical explanation and still haven't seen one.

I'm not that guy who asks for advice and ignores it, I'm that guy who asks, then challenges concepts to dig deeper. I don't take anyone one person's word as gospel, especially when I have a good understanding of the topic at hand.

I'm asking about the validity of what I see being reported on this site, people like to make multiple changes and then claim all sorts of results were because one particular mod out of 10 changed.

If this here is the technical advice you think "smart" people are giving
K

Then you're pretty stupid yourself.

Especially when you consider some of the top stock internal cars are running as high as a 4.56 gear... That #1 car in the link below must be reaaaal gay then huh?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...1-74-bump.html

Lastly, I don't claim I know everything about these cars and setups, but I'm a long way from some punk kid who reads some magazine and spews out garbage.

I've been around these cars for more than 8 years- v6 or v8 the gears and stall still function the exact same, and many of the same concepts still apply.

I've done all the work on my car myself, I've pulled apart the rear end, I've installed the ford 8.8, I've gone through the trans, I've torn my engine down to the bare block, I've replaced every suspension part on these things- I'm willing to bet I've lost just as much or more blood than you have on these cars

I've gotten my 96 down to under 3100lbs while still retaining all the ******* safety equipment in the car!! And I still had over 100lbs at least worth of **** I knew I could still take out, AND I had the stock hood and all stock body parts, no carbon fiber pieces no pin on hood, full dash and the whole 9 yards....you looked inside or outside of my car and you couldn't tell for a second anything was stripped out of it! Stock seats, carpet, everything was still there

I've run 3.08's, 3.90's and 4.10 gears in these cars as well as a 3200 stall converter (which I don't consider a high stall)

I did all my own tuning... I could go on and on and on... I have touched every part of these cars, but I am not going to sit here an
WTB truck intake near Chicago
MTchevy1
Today 11:00 AM
by MTchevy1
0 36
d write you some kind of resume about my experience so that I can get an answer
What answer do you want, Hell, you got all the answers!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

You have a 12 second pass under your belt yet champ? You want a technical explanation? Why? You have all the answers yet are Wasting your time arguing with idiots like us.

Those big gears result in some hard hitting 60' times? You know what I have done and you dismiss my advice so stop being a bitch and prove you aren't just mouth. Proof is in the pudding junior. Shouldnt be hard in a gutted tin can.
first off that "tin can" was a v6, Have you ever made a 12 second pass in an N/A v6? because there is maybe 4-5 guys that actually have in these cars...

Second off, would have easily run 12's that night had I not had every possible thing go wrong

a) I found a crack in the sidewall of my ET streets and had to run a buddies set of radials which were 275/45/18 - guess what? that's a 27.7" tire- that had no business being on that car, at all...

b) My cam was meant to see the car shifting at 6600rpm, I had the shift set at 5900 for the street and my laptop didn't charge so I couldn't make the change...that's a big set back

c) I knew the 36lbs injectors were maxed as they were running at 90+% duty- I watched the car go lean as hell in 3rd gear (13.9-14.0 afr) so just after the 1/8th I wasn't full throttle anymore, but I was still in it. My best guess without the laptop hooked up was the drop in DA at the track compared to where I live coupled with the injectors being already at the limits was too much to keep the car happy.

d) The Throttle body, upper and lower intake manifold was BONE stock, no porting at all

e) I was closer to 3300lbs when I made that pass

And I still managed to run a 13.4 in an all motor v6 F-body.

Ya a 13 second pass is slow, but that setup had a ton of bugs to work out and that was the first time I made a pass on the new setup and unfortunately the last.

Unlike the LS1 I have where the aftermarket is huge, I worked with almost nothing with that v6

I'll proudly stand behind that any day of the week- I don't need luck to accomplish my goals in an LS1, but I still like to research and maximize all aspects of my setup

you can find mine in 3 different issues in GMHTP and High Performance Pontiac (full feature).
Does that make you some kind of superstar? Because I've been in a few myself in the business world outside of cars.

I've read those a handful of times, I've seen some awesome builds in them and I've seen some terrible ones...no idea if I've ever seen yours

Quick Reply: Gears + stall