Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any trans brake, line lock wiring gurus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any trans brake, line lock wiring gurus?

Im trying to wire my trans brake into my line lock to control roll when Im on the trans brake/2 step. yea, I know its not suppose to roll, if the trans is built right. Im trying to put together a diagram to help me out a little better. Can any experienced racers in here tell me if this will work. What im NOT trying to do is release the trans brake and have the front tires lock up. Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Any trans brake, line lock wiring gurus?-adams-wiring-diagram.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What you're trying to do is unsafe, and completely uneeded. If your trans brake doesn't stop the car get it fixed......
Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I've heard of is wiring the line lock up with the bump box to soften the movement of disrupting the transbrake signal.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Yea I've heard that before also. But if I was running a delay box, they have a spot for a line-lock hookup. I'm trying to do the same, but don't run box classes and don't want to run a relay. My car may not be moving at all, but I like to be certain. A half inch more or less can be the difference of a red/green light when your dialed on kill. I know its not exactly safe. But what is in drag racing?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car rolls on the transbrake then it's not working anyway. Fix the brake and forget the stuff you are trying to splice together.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You are trying to create a band aid... Unless you are running an extremely small diameter front tire there is no way you can't stage the car and a 1/2?inch of movement is going to cause you to red light. Unless youre in a chassis car with ALOT of power they don't react quick enough for that to be an issue.

If you're not heads up pro-tree racing, or racing a serious money bracket class, then the 1/2 inch at the starting line is really not making any difference. Probably getting used to the car and how it reacts to your finger release, possibly getting a transbrake/valve body that responds faster will better suit you if reaction times are what you're after.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieboySS427
Im trying to wire my trans brake into my line lock to control roll when Im on the trans brake/2 step. yea, I know its not suppose to roll, if the trans is built right. Im trying to put together a diagram to help me out a little better. Can any experienced racers in here tell me if this will work. What im NOT trying to do is release the trans brake and have the front tires lock up. Thanks for any help.
There are tons of racers that attach the line lock to the trans brake. You need a diode in line to prevent the trans brake from coming on when you're in the burnout and using the line lock only.

If you are having a problem with the car creeping a bit when the brake is on the you may have some luck with entering the line with a slightly higher rpm that will build a bit more pressure in the trans to help with the band lock down the drum.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your diagram is tough to read but here is a basic setup off of google

So both your line lock and trans brake are on separate switches and there is a main switch to control the circuit. Few different ways you can go about this depending on what you want to push and what you want as a single throw etc.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Were not allowed to run relay inline with the transbrake because its a delay device. Some guys back in the day ran like 25 relays in line and went off the top bulb in a no box class. So that's the reason for the rule. Maybe I can enlarge my diagram so it can be seen better. I'm trying to do what SSvert99 is saying with the diode. I'm just trying to be 100% on where I'm putting the diode.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also keep in mind that a linelock is not as quick to release as a transbrake is. That would be my concern. It doesn't even sound like your car actually rolls with the transbrake on, you are just worried that it will? Two options to fix that problem:

1. STOP WORRYING!
2. Fix your transbrake.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieboySS427
Were not allowed to run relay inline with the transbrake because its a delay device. Some guys back in the day ran like 25 relays in line and went off the top bulb in a no box class. So that's the reason for the rule. Maybe I can enlarge my diagram so it can be seen better. I'm trying to do what SSvert99 is saying with the diode. I'm just trying to be 100% on where I'm putting the diode.
Ohhh ok. Can you do it with larger text and without the nice coloring? You've got my curiosity but I've never wired anything like you are asking for.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Got this wired up. I put a diode between both +12v wires going from switches to selenoids. Works perfect. Transbrake and Linelock selenoid release so fast, you can't even tell. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Any trans brake, line lock wiring gurus?