Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideal Environmental Conditions for Drag Racing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014 | 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Thing is, most people don't race in 6k or 1k to -DA. The average drag racer is likely spending much of their racing time in something like 2k or 2,500 DA. The "big" differences in DA are generally less than 4k, to be sure. There are a handful of "great" tracks, but largely... they're much the same and with vehicles today, differences are well compensated by factory computer tuning.

HEAT is the biggest single factor as far as I'm concerned.

Eh... higher octane is overrated too... most people don't even realize, the lower the octane your car can run on, the better.
I agree, most don't race in 6K DA. But, many do. And do it often. Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana all have most of their state with elevations over 4000ft, and much of that is over 5,000 ft. Throw in any temps over 50°F and DA's higher than elevation occur.

I also agree with lower octane, running the lowest possible would be the best route. The lower the octane the faster the burn, which is good. But for most performance built engines lower octane will reduce power. And I'd love some 93 at the local pump with my build.

The computer can, and does, adjust for altitude. But, not the same way or nearly as effectively as a tuner does. If I moved to Florida, I'd re-tune my car for it.
Old 08-13-2014 | 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

MIR, Atco, and Cecil. MIR track prep for track rentals and TnT is very good and consistent. You'll find most stock late model 1/4 mile records were set there (Z06, ZR1, Viper, Boss, GTR, etc). Cecil is great for events. I've never run at Atco.
Old 08-13-2014 | 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
MIR, Atco, and Cecil. MIR track prep for track rentals and TnT is very good and consistent. You'll find most stock late model 1/4 mile records were set there (Z06, ZR1, Viper, Boss, GTR, etc). Cecil is great for events. I've never run at Atco.
In September? October? I may make a road trip one of these days, but I gotta convince the wife that it's for something else. Which one is closest to a family attraction kind of place?
Old 08-13-2014 | 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hrcslam
I agree, most don't race in 6K DA. But, many do. And do it often. Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana all have most of their state with elevations over 4000ft, and much of that is over 5,000 ft. Throw in any temps over 50°F and DA's higher than elevation occur.
8 states worth... none of them overly populated. They combine to make up about 7% of the US population. I mean, TX has more residents than all 8... combined.

Texas probably has more racers too, kinda like FL and other states where racing can be done year round. How many months per year can you see people drag racing in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado??? It's honestly not very comparable.

Besides that, 5,000' isn't so much more than 3,000' in drag racing terms... I thought we agreed on that? Many of those in those 8 states can make a trip to Minot...

Let's imaging PBIR @ 49°F and 40% humidity... Ahhhh... yeah, that would be nice...

I also agree with lower octane, running the lowest possible would be the best route. The lower the octane the faster the burn, which is good. But for most performance built engines lower octane will reduce power. And I'd love some 93 at the local pump with my build.
Eh... 93 is fine, but I wouldn't concern myself over those 2 points. I prefer to run 90 octane straight gasoline over any of this ethanol crap.

The computer can, and does, adjust for altitude. But, not the same way or nearly as effectively as a tuner does. If I moved to Florida, I'd re-tune my car for it.
Most tuners use the factory ECM... so obviously it can be the same way and as effectively... it's just tweaked in about 90% of "racing" vehicles... those people race...

By the way... the ones in new cars are exceedingly sharp at adjustments. They'll still not be tuned for optimal power, but they're good, nonetheless.

In September? October? I may make a road trip one of these days, but I gotta convince the wife that it's for something else. Which one is closest to a family attraction kind of place?
Take her to DC... Tell her ya wanna meet the President!

MIR can't be THAT far away.
Old 08-14-2014 | 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

8 states worth... none of them overly populated. They combine to make up about 7% of the US population. I mean, TX has more residents than all 8... combined.

Texas probably has more racers too, kinda like FL and other states where racing can be done year round. How many months per year can you see people drag racing in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado??? It's honestly not very comparable.

Besides that, 5,000' isn't so much more than 3,000' in drag racing terms... I thought we agreed on that? Many of those in those 8 states can make a trip to Minot...

Let's imaging PBIR @ 49°F and 40% humidity... Ahhhh... yeah, that would be nice...

Eh... 93 is fine, but I wouldn't concern myself over those 2 points. I prefer to run 90 octane straight gasoline over any of this ethanol crap.

Most tuners use the factory ECM... so obviously it can be the same way and as effectively... it's just tweaked in about 90% of "racing" vehicles... those people race...

By the way... the ones in new cars are exceedingly sharp at adjustments. They'll still not be tuned for optimal power, but they're good, nonetheless.

Take her to DC... Tell her ya wanna meet the President!

MIR can't be THAT far away.
I agreed most don't, but a minority can encompass millions of people. So while most don't many still do.

Here we go with Texas again (not you per say, but Texas, Cali, and Hawaii has this superiority complex.....) LOL.

I'm using my factory ECM, but the tune loaded on it is completely different. I think the only tables that remain factory stock are the MAF calibration tables.....

Y'all are making me want to drive to So Cal this winter.... Any good tracks in San Diego? That's the closest I think I could get anytime soon. Aint no way in hell she'd fall for meeting the president, I want nothing to do with anyone in the federal government; different conversation all together there.

I have 91 Octane here and I'm running 11.8:1 SCR (9.32 DCR), it worries me.

Last edited by hrcslam; 08-15-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2014 | 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Octane108! I'd use some version of octane booster w/ that much compression. W/ 11.4:1, I used booster and 93... and backed off the timing to... 10°(BTDC) as I remember. Still ran 126mph... I took it. W/ Nitrous... prefer 117 octane.

Texas... Not CA or HA... Texas... is the place to be! I miss it, no kidding. Yeah, they still have "vehicle inspections" and some other nonsense like a totally confused licensing department which THINKS it doesn't have to follow federal law w/ a Class A (or any other) CDL and those departments are simply overwhelmed with stupid and incompetent people, but whatever... I mean, I can't stand that stuff myself, but overall, aside from that, TX is all good.

Personally, I didn't leave 1 thing in CA and if I did, as I've said before, they can have it because I will NOT be back. Too many rules... too many idiots in charge. Hawaii is just too far from the rest of reality... visit, sure... live there, pass. Same as Puerto Rico for me...

Anyway... tracks to get good ET's are all over the country. The best are probably where there is moderate to high humidity... and lower temps and, of course, lower elevation. From where you are, CA is probably your best bet for drag racing... without taking days to get there and back. You're like 15hrs from Dallas or Houston... given the choice, I'd plan for Dallas. That said, I've driven that distance many times and used to drive from El Paso to Dallas 3-4 times a week. It's a long and boring road. El Paso's close, but not really better than where you are. Abilene might be a consideration... way closer and with better air... if you really wanna see how much better it runs. Just for a comparison run... San Antonio. Yeah, it's TX and you don't like that, but it's WAY better than where you are... I've only been to a couple of those tracks, but they seem to be all over TEXAS!
Old 08-14-2014 | 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Octane108! I'd use some version of octane booster w/ that much compression. W/ 11.4:1, I used booster and 93... and backed off the timing to... 10°(BTDC) as I remember. Still ran 126mph... I took it. W/ Nitrous... prefer 117 octane.

Texas... Not CA or HA... Texas... is the place to be! I miss it, no kidding. Yeah, they still have "vehicle inspections" and some other nonsense like a totally confused licensing department which THINKS it doesn't have to follow federal law w/ a Class A (or any other) CDL and those departments are simply overwhelmed with stupid and incompetent people, but whatever... I mean, I can't stand that stuff myself, but overall, aside from that, TX is all good.

Personally, I didn't leave 1 thing in CA and if I did, as I've said before, they can have it because I will NOT be back. Too many rules... too many idiots in charge. Hawaii is just too far from the rest of reality... visit, sure... live there, pass. Same as Puerto Rico for me...

Anyway... tracks to get good ET's are all over the country. The best are probably where there is moderate to high humidity... and lower temps and, of course, lower elevation. From where you are, CA is probably your best bet for drag racing... without taking days to get there and back. You're like 15hrs from Dallas or Houston... given the choice, I'd plan for Dallas. That said, I've driven that distance many times and used to drive from El Paso to Dallas 3-4 times a week. It's a long and boring road. El Paso's close, but not really better than where you are. Abilene might be a consideration... way closer and with better air... if you really wanna see how much better it runs. Just for a comparison run... San Antonio. Yeah, it's TX and you don't like that, but it's WAY better than where you are... I've only been to a couple of those tracks, but they seem to be all over TEXAS!

11.8:1 on an LT1 is probably a lot like 10.5:1 on an LS1, not that bad. But Higher octane is preferred. I'm running 91 Octane (the highest I can get) and spark advance was 34° commanded 40-41° actual at WOT. I was getting knock and have since pulled another degree, still gotta data log it.

I've made the trip from Phoenix to DFW, ugh. I'm glad they raised the speed limit to 85 on I-20....

I lived in Texas for a little while, a small town named Beeville. I couldn't stand it there. So much racism, I'm Hawaiian, born and raised in Hawaii and everyone in that small Christian town thought I was Mexican. Mind you they weren't all racist, but enough of them were bigots that my impression of "southern hospitality" was that it wasn't. Since I've moved away I've seen more of Texas and have come to like the State, not the Longhorns though LOL. I used to like aTm, but they joined the SEC.

I will never move to Cali, ever. I refuse to. Cost of living is ridiculous and there's no way I'm gonna let them tell me what I can and can't do to MY cars.

Hawaii is a great place to visit if you got the money. That place is asinine for prices. My Brother and Sister still live there, I don't know how they do it. I make much more than them and my cost of living is about half of theirs and I struggle to get by sometimes. Kudo's to them I guess. Having been raised there I never saw the racism (against Caucasians) until I moved away then went back there for a contract (really really good pay). They think Hawaii is the best place in the world. No objective facts to reality, I was one of those people too!

I've been many many places, all over the world. I've learned a lot and I can reference one situation to another. And I'd move back to Texas, but not Beeville.

I'm thinking Florida next though, cost of living is similar to Arizona. My job market is pretty big there. And the DA's are way better LOL. But then I'd have to worry about hurricanes....
Old 08-14-2014 | 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

11.8:1 on an LT1 is probably a lot like 10.5:1 on an LS1
No. Where did you get that idea?
Old 08-14-2014 | 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

No. Where did you get that idea?
So you're saying an LS1 can run 91 octane at 11.8:1 SCR and 33-39° advance?

Or are you saying the LS1 can't run 10.5:1, 91 Octane, and 33-39° advanced?

I guess spark advance is pointless here as the LS1's don't need that much to begin with.

In any case, can you elaborate?
Old 08-14-2014 | 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you're saying an LS1 can run 91 octane at 11.8:1 SCR and 33-39° advance?
I'm at 11.7:1 and run 93 octane (91 isn't available here). The LS1 cylinder head is far more efficient than the LT1, it doesn't need that much advance.
Old 08-14-2014 | 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

The other subject:

I don't recommend FL... if not for family ties, I wouldn't live here. FAR too much rain for me. When the time is right, I'll probably go back to TX... Dallas and maybe Houston or San Antonio... outskirts in any case. Traffic in those cities sucks, but then... millions of people live in or around them so heavy traffic is to be expected. The good things about FL are no state income taxes or emissions! It's crowded here too though... so

BTW, Texas isn't a place I ever considered "southern hospitality" like... that's a southeast America thing... Ya wanna experience that, you go to MS, LA, AL, GA, TN, NC, SC and some areas of FL... Other parts of America are "home townie" in ways, but they're not the same... TX can be, but it's "tougher" in general. Leaving Texas, you'll notice fewer 10 gallon hats and more ball caps, unless you head north. Oklahoma is full of 'em!

I'll put it this way... if they don't ASK YOU if you want sweet tea at a restaurant... you're definitely NOT in that area...
Old 08-14-2014 | 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

I'm at 11.7:1 and run 93 octane (91 isn't available here). The LS1 cylinder head is far more efficient than the LT1, it doesn't need that much advance.
Read my last post, I addressed the timing thing. What cam are you running? I'm gonna guess it's pretty big (240ish @ .050"?), I'm also gonna guess your DCR is actually lower than mine with almost the same SCR too....

EDIT: I found your dyno thread, your MS4 cam is as I guessed, your DCR is 8.7:1 vs my 9.32:1. Nice build BTW, 7K has got to feel awesome. When my valve springs are done, I'll likely upgrade those, do some NSA rockers, and thicker pushrods and see how well my cam does at that rpm....

And that doesn't say what I said is false either. What I said was an LT1 at 11.8:1 SCR is like an LS1 at 10.5:1. Your LS1 at 11.7:1 is like an LT1 at 13:1. LT1's can do and handle compression ratio's much higher than LS1's on the same fuel.

Here's what I mean, I've read about many many LT1 builds here and other places where guys are running NA and pushing 13:1 or higher SCR on pump gas. Never heard of an LS1 do that.

The other subject:

I don't recommend FL... if not for family ties, I wouldn't live here. FAR too much rain for me. When the time is right, I'll probably go back to TX... Dallas and maybe Houston or San Antonio... outskirts in any case. Traffic in those cities sucks, but then... millions of people live in or around them so heavy traffic is to be expected. The good things about FL are no state income taxes or emissions! It's crowded here too though... so

BTW, Texas isn't a place I ever considered "southern hospitality" like... that's a southeast America thing... Ya wanna experience that, you go to MS, LA, AL, GA, TN, NC, SC and some areas of FL... Other parts of America are "home townie" in ways, but they're not the same... TX can be, but it's "tougher" in general. Leaving Texas, you'll notice fewer 10 gallon hats and more ball caps, unless you head north. Oklahoma is full of 'em!

I'll put it this way... if they don't ASK YOU if you want sweet tea at a restaurant... you're definitely NOT in that area...
DFW, Austin, San Antonio all had great southern hospitality IMO.

Florida is for other reasons, but mostly work. If things don't work out with this job (looking pretty good, but you never know) I'll be heading that way. Cost of living and lower DA is just a added benefit.

Besides, I wish it rained here more often, not pouring rain for a few hours every afternoon for 2 months then being dry as **** again for the rest of the year. Two days ago we got 2" in 45 minutes (and it rained for hours). That sucked.

Last edited by hrcslam; 08-15-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2014 | 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

And that doesn't say what I said is false either. What I said was an LT1 at 11.8:1 SCR is like an LS1 at 10.5:1. Your LS1 at 11.7:1 is like an LT1 at 13:1. LT1's can do and handle compression ratio's much higher than LS1's on the same fuel.
Numerous people have run pump gas in their LS1s with compression ratios in the low-mid 12s. Using your logic, that means an LT1 should handle compression in the low 13s. That's bullshit. Any LT1 guys want to prove me wrong? Bring your high compression LT1 my way. I'll fill your car with 93, no charge. Finally, if they're so good at handling compression, why aren't you running that much?
Old 08-15-2014 | 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Read my last post, I addressed the timing thing. What cam are you running? I'm gonna guess it's pretty big (240ish @ .050"?), I'm also gonna guess your DCR is actually lower than mine with almost the same SCR too....

EDIT: I found your dyno thread, your MS4 cam is as I guessed, your DCR is 8.7:1 vs my 9.1:1. Nice build BTW, 7K has got to feel awesome. When my valve springs are done, I'll likely upgrade those, do some NAS rockers, and thicker pushrods and see how well my cam does at that rpm....

The question comes down to, why? What allows for it, an iron block? Better rotating assembly? Lower rpm? Idonno about everyone else, but I'm with Mark on this one... it just doesn't make sense.

Here's what I mean, I've read about many many LT1 builds here and other places where guys are running NA and pushing 13:1 or higher SCR on pump gas. Never heard of an LS1 do that.
I'm willing to say, those guys are either 1: Running an additive. 2: Running lower timing(way lower). 3: Have less compression than they think. 4: Are just lying for attention or whatever... I seriously don't know anyone racing w/ 13:1 compression(or more) on any 4th gen style LT1 or LS1 w/ pump gas, no additives, normal or high timing and using even E10(standard fuel) or non-garbage gas... If they had an engine like we get today, I'd be inclined to say... maybe. Old stuff though... I just haven't ever seen or heard of it from any source I know.

Sometimes though, things aren't what they seem. Many years ago, I ordered a short block from a well known builder. When it arrived, I immediately noticed 30cc dished pistons and called to inquire. I was lied to, straight up! Had I not known what they'd done, or only been guessing, I'd have kept it and thought nothing of it... thousands of people would be that easily hosed.

DFW, Austin, San Antonio all had great southern hospitality IMO.
Not so much to me. Sure, they're okay... I don't like Austin at all, to be honest. I lived in Dallas, Addison, Plano... I know that area a bit and it's GREAT... but not what I think of in that category. I like San Antonio too, but only spent time there when I was working, so I don't know overall.

Florida is for other reasons, but mostly work. If things don't work out with this job (looking pretty good, but you never know) I'll be heading that way. Cost of living and lower DA is just a added benefit.
I don't know what you do, but FL isn't great for jobs in general... unless you like making beds or serving food. Yeah, we have people working, but it's no Texas in that arena.

Besides, I wish it rained here more often, not pouring rain for a few hours every afternoon for 2 months then being dry as **** again for the rest of the year. Two days ago we got 2" in 45 minutes (and it rained for hours). That sucked.
When have you been to FL? I ask because I don't think you really know what you're in for living here. Look up the rainfall average before you commit... From what you just said... Fl isn't for you. 2" of rain at a time is certainly not unheard of here.
Old 08-15-2014 | 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Numerous people have run pump gas in their LS1s with compression ratios in the low-mid 12s. Using your logic, that means an LT1 should handle compression in the low 13s. That's bullshit. Any LT1 guys want to prove me wrong? Bring your high compression LT1 my way. I'll fill your car with 93, no charge. Finally, if they're so good at handling compression, why aren't you running that much?
You obviously don't have much LT1 experience. Numerous people have run pump gas in their LT1's with their SCR's in the 13's. Many many many have in the 12's.

An LT1 at 13:1 on pump gas is about as common as an LS1 at 12:1 on pump gas.

The reverse cooling of an LT1, as much as it sucks to maintain, does work.

I will concede that the LS1 can handle closer SCR's to the LT1 than I thought. The LT1 can probably take about a half to full point more than an LS1, versus my previously assumed 1-1.5 points.

Even comparing your engine to mine, both have about the same SCR. But my cam is smaller and so my DCR is 0.62:1 higher. I'm running 91, you're probably on 93 ?? I could run 91 in my engine and raise SCR to 12.1:1 on my cam and still be fine (with a good tune of course), but an LS1 cannot do the same as easily.

Don't get me wrong, I love the LSx. I want one in a Gen 3 one day. But, I understand the advantages of both LT1's and LS1's.

The question comes down to, why? What allows for it, an iron block? Better rotating assembly? Lower rpm? Idonno about everyone else, but I'm with Mark on this one... it just doesn't make sense.

I'm willing to say, those guys are either 1: Running an additive. 2: Running lower timing(way lower). 3: Have less compression than they think. 4: Are just lying for attention or whatever... I seriously don't know anyone racing w/ 13:1 compression(or more) on any 4th gen style LT1 or LS1 w/ pump gas, no additives, normal or high timing and using even E10(standard fuel) or non-garbage gas... If they had an engine like we get today, I'd be inclined to say... maybe. Old stuff though... I just haven't ever seen or heard of it from any source I know.

Sometimes though, things aren't what they seem. Many years ago, I ordered a short block from a well known builder. When it arrived, I immediately noticed 30cc dished pistons and called to inquire. I was lied to, straight up! Had I not known what they'd done, or only been guessing, I'd have kept it and thought nothing of it... thousands of people would be that easily hosed.

Not so much to me. Sure, they're okay... I don't like Austin at all, to be honest. I lived in Dallas, Addison, Plano... I know that area a bit and it's GREAT... but not what I think of in that category. I like San Antonio too, but only spent time there when I was working, so I don't know overall.

I don't know what you do, but FL isn't great for jobs in general... unless you like making beds or serving food. Yeah, we have people working, but it's no Texas in that arena.

When have you been to FL? I ask because I don't think you really know what you're in for living here. Look up the rainfall average before you commit... From what you just said... Fl isn't for you. 2" of rain at a time is certainly not unheard of here.
Reverse cooling. It's what allowed GM to run 10.4:1 SCR stock in 1992 without the chambers of the LS1.

Florida is good for Medical and Helicopter jobs. I'm not in medical, lol. There's a few other states that also offer a fair amount of helicopter jobs, but Florida makes the short list.

I was in Florida June-July in 2009.

Rain, meh, that doesn't bother me, I grew up in Hawaii. 2" in 45 minutes is 2.6" in an hour. To put that in perspective, Hurricane Sandy dropped about 7" over land throughout it's entire time over land. That's days....

2" isn't anything. But 2" in 45 minutes equals flash floods in the middle of the desert.

Last edited by hrcslam; 08-17-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2014 | 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

I'm surprised there are flying jobs... I know a guy who moved to TX about 4yrs ago because after 5yrs as a licensed pilot, he still had no job in FL... except building transmissions...

2" of rain here generally doesn't flood anything... it soaks in(there's a lake about 150' from my back door too), but I'm still tired of it and I already left FL twice because of it, only to be called back by family needs. I've decided to wait till people either die off or decide to move out too... then I'll make a new plan of where to go.

Considering the LS1 can be run cooler in general(all aluminum and better head design) and lacking the hotspot concerns of the old head design, I wouldn't consider reverse cooling as that advantageous, but okay... I realize GM basically set them each to run the same temp, but that's for emissions reasons.
Old 08-15-2014 | 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

I'm surprised there are flying jobs... I know a guy who moved to TX about 4yrs ago because after 5yrs as a licensed pilot, he still had no job in FL... except building transmissions...

2" of rain here generally doesn't flood anything... it soaks in(there's a lake about 150' from my back door too), but I'm still tired of it and I already left FL twice because of it, only to be called back by family needs. I've decided to wait till people either die off or decide to move out too... then I'll make a new plan of where to go.

Considering the LS1 can be run cooler in general(all aluminum and better head design) and lacking the hotspot concerns of the old head design, I wouldn't consider reverse cooling as that advantageous, but okay... I realize GM basically set them each to run the same temp, but that's for emissions reasons.

Yeah, lots of helicopters off the coast. Tours, fire fighting, border protection, etc.

I hoping I don't have to move, but if I do Florida is on the shortlist.

Aluminum can dissipate heat better, reverse cooling had a huge effect on the LT1 from the Gen I SBC. But the Gen 3 was soo much better that reverse cooling was no longer worth the hassle. Think about it this way a LM7 in 2001 pushed the same horsepower and torque as the LT1, with less displacement, less compression, and a smaller cam among other things, and it did it smoother with less fuel. How much, at that point, would reverse cooling really help out? It is a hassle to maintain in comparison to standard flow cooling.

Last edited by hrcslam; 08-15-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2014 | 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Whats the best conditions everybody has seen? I was at Texas Raceway once and popped my phone out. It was like 62 degrees 21% humidity no wind and overcast. I think when I found the corrected DA later on it was like -650. Everybody was breaking ****. Rear ends, transmissions, and nitrous backfires all over the place.
Old 08-17-2014 | 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

You obviously don't have much LT1 experience. Numerous people have run pump gas in their LT1's with their SCR's in the 13's. Many many many have in the 12's.

An LT1 at 13:1 on pump gas is about as common as an LS1 at 12:1 on pump gas.

The reverse cooling of an LT1, as much as it sucks to maintain, does work.

I will concede that the LS1 can handle closer SCR's to the LT1 than I thought. The LT1 can probably take about a half to full point more than an LS1, versus my previously assumed 1-1.5 points.

Even comparing your engine to mine, both have about the same SCR. But my cam is smaller and so my DCR is higher. I'm running 91, you're probably on 93 ?? I could run 91 in my engine and raise SCR to 12.1:1 on my cam and still be fine (with a good tune of course), but an LS1 cannot do the same as easily.

Don't get me wrong, I love the LSx. I want one in a Gen 3 one day. But, I understand the advantages of both LT1's and LS1's.

Reverse cooling. It's what allowed GM to run 10.4:1 SCR stock in 1992 without the chambers of the LS1.
First time I have heard that 13:1 SCR thing but I wouldnt doubt it. Theyre still not even at all though. I would rather have the head flow numbers of the LS1 than the extra point of compression of the LT1.
Old 08-17-2014 | 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BSmiff
First time I have heard that 13:1 SCR thing but I wouldnt doubt it. Theyre still not even at all though. I would rather have the head flow numbers of the LS1 than the extra point of compression of the LT1.
Agreed, those LSx heads are awesome vs the Gen I and II heads. I kept my LT1 for other reasons. Mostly because that is what the car came with.

If I were to do a Gen2 or 3 F-body engine swap, I'd go LSx all day. Actually, if I were to do any engine swap it'd be an LSx.

I've read of them in a few places (13:1), mostly 383 and 396's. You really can't help it on those with the LT1's small combustion chambers. But, tighten the quench and have the right cam and it'll do it on a good tune.

Last edited by hrcslam; 08-17-2014 at 03:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Ideal Environmental Conditions for Drag Racing.