Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about rear swaybar

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Question about rear swaybar

I'm taking my 98z28 to the track tomorrow for the first time. I've owned the car for a month or so, and it hasn't had swaybars(front or back) on it since the previous owner bought it. The car has 3.73 gears, is lowered(sportline), has adj. lcas, adj. pandhard rod, welded sfcs, stb, dsl, and i recently added a poly trans mount, edelbrock t/a(non adj) and nitto 555rs.......to me the car handles good, and with the drag radials and t/a it hooks up well on the street. when he owned the car, he ran it at the track once, and it ran a 13.6 at 111 on cheap street tires(i don't know how much of the suspension work was done at that point) with obviously no traction......i guess that was all a lot of b.s. for my main question: i picked up my eibach swaybar kit from belle tire today, and the guy helping me(who has owned 6 f-bodys) said he always got better times in his 94 t/a with both sway bars off......my thinking was that the rear helps plant both tires, so it would help with traction......which way should i go for my run tomorrow? any experiences from you guys that may help, or could it really depend on the car and how it's set up? thanks in advance......
Old 05-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can't see how not having a rear swaybar would help a car hook, in theory it should hurt it pretty bad.

i can't say i really have any experience running a car with no rear sway bar..keep the front one off for sure though, that will help with weight transfer among other things..
Old 05-28-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you deffinatly need a rear sway bar for traction unless you running a 4 link which i doubt.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

that was my feeling, which is why i asked.......thanks for the input....i better get my *** out to the garage to get that thing on! muchos gracias
Old 05-28-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, turns out my car doesn't have the factory "L" brackets needed for the endlinks on the bar......so i'll have to find some or make some.....went to the track anyways.......times were 13.1-13.2 at 105-107 with 1.9 60s......i couldn't really get the car to launch right, and i think i need to get it tuned anyways........had a blast though, and actually i never lined up against anyone who beat me......even if your not that fast, it feels good to be faster than the guy next to you