Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad torque converter?

Running a powerglide in a 5.3l turbo swapped 87 mustang. Powerglide has an ATI pro tree brake with manual valve body, otherwise stock. Unknown specs and condition on the torque converter.
First ride in the car trans began to slip, pulled it back into the shop and the band adjustment had backed nearly all the way out. Reset the band. Checked the linkage and it's where should be. Running a deep pan, fluid is at the middle of the notches on the dipstick.
Have double and triple checked all of these things, and here is how the trans is acting now-
1st gear, engine revs up to 1500 RPM and bangs into gear, it acts like a neutral to 1st gear drop. Off the footbrake below this rpm it will creep forward.
Throughout 1500-6000 RPM the car vibrates, feels like it is fighting the transmission. Shifts into second fine, second gear I get smooth acceleration, no vibration, acts like it should.
Torque converter or problem internally in the trans? I haven't used the trans brake itself.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Running Type F for fluid, doesn't smell burned or appear any darker than it should. The trans does run very hot.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Also, when in 1st gear at an idle on the footbrake I hear a whine coming from the trans or the converter, until it is revved up and bangs into gear.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Checked psi??

Quick Reply: Bad torque converter?