Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Q's about Harness with 8 pt rollbar

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Some Q's about Harness with 8 pt rollbar

Ok, did a search and ended up still not clear on this due to a crapload of different opinions and stuff.

I am short on time so I have to do this right the first time, thus this post

I have an 8 pt mild steel rollbar going in very soon. I am looking at the 5 pt harness by RJS that Speed Inc carries.

My questions are this..using my stock leather camaro seat, what exactly do I need to get..i saw in the search results things about floor mounted, wrap around the bar type ones, etc. What would work best with a camaro seat.. Also would like info on making the crotch strap bracket or whatever..

i'd love to be able to retain the factory belt for street driving as well, anyone had sucess doing this in my proposed application??

Thanks in advance for any advice, instruction, pics etc..
Old 06-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a harness with the individual straps on the top as opposed to the ones that use one tab on the shoulder bar. Then you have alot of flexibility on where to put them. When I did my cage using the stock seat I put the shoulder barjust below where the headrest is. For me being 5'8" it worked out perfect becausemy shoulders are just about at the same point. NHRA rulebook says the harness cannot mount more than 4" below your shoulders. Wraparounds are fine. You just need to weld on a couple tabs for the others. Jeg's sells the tabs or you can make them. For the crotch bracket just drill a 3/8 or 7/16 hole in the brace that the seat studs are in. Use a grade 8 bolt with washer and nut to bolt that harness strap down. Took me about 10 minutes to install mine after the cage was done. The G-force cam-lok style for $110 is the one I like the best, and it's the cheapest cam-lok one out there. Email me if you want pics.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Motorboater

Ok so when you say they wrap around..what do they attach back to?

how do the side straps attatch?

thanks..
Old 06-08-2004, 02:39 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I opened up the holes a little on the belts and used the stock seat belt bolts to hold them in. The wraparound uses a metal plate that belts go over/under. I couldnt use a shoulder harness with my stock seats. I ended up using a formula firebird seat until I can find something I like. With me anyway the stock camaro seat is dangerous to use with a harness. The firebird seat has a seperate headrest and I run the belts under that. If you use a wraparound individual harness make sure there is something on the bar to keep it sliding side to side.

Here are a couple pics of mine, wolfe uses that metal guide to keep the belts from moving side to side but you can weld a tab to bolt the harness too also.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Motorboater

thanks KP, makes sense..