Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8.8 rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.8 rear end

How to make a 8.8 work on a 1999 camaro?
Old 10-25-2015, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a bunch of active threads in the gears/axle section on the 8.8 there is a guy whom I wont name because he is not a sponsor on the site that is making a fair amount of them right now.

To date nobody is yet making a fabricated 8.8 housing but typically people are buying junk/wrecked ford explorers for a couple hundred bucks , keeping the 8.8/posi rear and scrapping the rest ( end up with a 8.8 for free or close this way) or buying an explorer rear from someone or a yard parting one out.

Then you ship a set of axle tubes from a 4th gen Camaro along with the center section of the 8.8 ( cutoff the axle tubes as they are different lengths the explorer center is offset) and the builder will add the Camaro axle tubes to the 8.8 center housing and fabricate a torque arm mount on the housing then ship it back to you so you can have it assembled by your local guy , you would need axles and u joints to complete the rear. I don't know if the person doing the rears is also offering setting up diff/gears/axles etc... so they can ship you back a complete unit.

I am still watching the activity until I have the parts acquired to have one built myself , I plan to stick to stock internals so an 8.8 should be plenty tough for my m6 car - A4 is fine with the stock 10 bolt right into the 10's so I have no plans on rear swaps in my a4 cars.

Is your car M6 or A4 ?
Old 10-26-2015, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSS24
How to make a 8.8 work on a 1999 camaro?
With welder and maths!!

Quick Reply: 8.8 rear end