Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New race set-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New race set-up

Well I'm really close to putting my new set-up in the car. I had previously run a best of 11.000 @ 125 on a hundred shot vs. 11.66 @ 117 on motor. Check my web page in my sig for the complete set-up. I recently changed the cam to a Comp custom grind with a big duration but only moderate lift. This change had the car still running the same numbers. I've always felt that after a lot of testing that my stock tranny and converter wasn't giving me the best times on the gas. The car has become a trailer queen and I thought I'd try something different.

My new equipment is a powerglide with t-brake and a Coan 8" converter. I've also got a Wolfe anti-roll bar on the way to help keeping the hot rod hook and go straight. The previous raceweight was 3360 and I'm hoping after some recent changes to be in the 3000-3100 range. The gear I have in my spool right now is a 3.70 and I want to do some testing with that before I decide on a 4.30 or 4.56. The one challenge I'll have (and when I say me, I mean my shop ) wiring the t-brake to interupt the nitrous so when I release it I can leave off the gas. I'm looking forward to the new changes and will use the rest of the year to test the system, get a delay box and work out the bugs. Then I'm chasing points next year with the big boys at my local track in Super Pro. Got my fingers crossed!

Eric
Old 06-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds impressive, let us know some track results
Old 06-15-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
sounds impressive, let us know some track results

Thanks. Still running your old heads untouched from the day I got them!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:07 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds great. I love the idea of a power glide with a brake. If I go Top Et racin next year this is what I want to do also.

Good luck to ya and please post up your results.

Coach
Old 06-15-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Coach, kinda surprising to hear you're considering the change. I've always loved the footbrake class but it will be some new fun playing with the electonics. The final decision for me to swap classes was wanting to try a glide and with that I think I'll need t-brake to overcome the gearing. With the glide, the idea of less drivetrain loss will make this change interesting. The 8" Coan converter is sitting on my shop bench and man is that thing tiny!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:57 AM

Next,

Top Et pays more to win. At the big money races around here. Top Et pays $10,000.00 to win while Footbrake pays $1,000.00 to win.

In the 1990's I raced Top Et and Super Gas. It is a cut throat class. You have to cut .50 lights and pretty much run dead on to win.

That 8" Coan converter is going to ROCK in your glide. My tranny guy is trying to get me to put in a glide in the Hot Rod also. This may happen sooner than later.

By the way FEAR(my wife Kayle) hates Top Et. She says the only cars that win in this class are the snakes. She thinks they are boring. I may have one of these sooner than later also.

Coach
Old 06-15-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

The purse helps to motivate decisions doesn't it. My local track runs a NHRA/Summit ET bracket series and it pays $1g to Super Pro (electronics) and $300 Sportsman (footbrake) per event, not to mention the disparity in payouts down the ladder. Yea, the competition is tuff though as last outing I watched a dragster go .508 on the light and run dead on the number.

The decision in converters was between Neal Chance and Coan. Didn't think I'd go wrong with either one

Funny you should mention the comments by your tranny builder. I've been back and forth on what to build and my tranny shop is convinced the glide is the way to go.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:20 PM

Thumbs up

HRP's payout is the same as yours at the summit bracket series.

My buddies that I race with run Top ET and will go 5.0's and run dead on with a couple of numbers and still lose.

I think a glide would work well in a LS1. I just need to try it.

Coach
Old 06-15-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Just waiting on one last piece to start the install. Hopefully will be up and running next week and I'll let you know how she runs.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by next
Well I'm really close to putting my new set-up in the car. I had previously run a best of 11.000 @ 125 on a hundred shot vs. 11.66 @ 117 on motor. Check my web page in my sig for the complete set-up. I recently changed the cam to a Comp custom grind with a big duration but only moderate lift. This change had the car still running the same numbers. I've always felt that after a lot of testing that my stock tranny and converter wasn't giving me the best times on the gas. The car has become a trailer queen and I thought I'd try something different.

My new equipment is a powerglide with t-brake and a Coan 8" converter. I've also got a Wolfe anti-roll bar on the way to help keeping the hot rod hook and go straight. The previous raceweight was 3360 and I'm hoping after some recent changes to be in the 3000-3100 range. The gear I have in my spool right now is a 3.70 and I want to do some testing with that before I decide on a 4.30 or 4.56. The one challenge I'll have (and when I say me, I mean my shop ) wiring the t-brake to interupt the nitrous so when I release it I can leave off the gas. I'm looking forward to the new changes and will use the rest of the year to test the system, get a delay box and work out the bugs. Then I'm chasing points next year with the big boys at my local track in Super Pro. Got my fingers crossed!

Eric
wire it to a relay that interupts power so when u juice the tranz brake it kills power to juice activation switch and as soon as u let go of t brake it will activate the relay feeding the switch bob
Old 06-15-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NRC-Motorsports
wire it to a relay that interupts power so when u juice the tranz brake it kills power to juice activation switch and as soon as u let go of t brake it will activate the relay feeding the switch bob

Sounds like a good idea. I imagine it could be to the WOT or arm switch.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Default t brake

Originally Posted by next
Sounds like a good idea. I imagine it could be to the WOT or arm switch.
i can go to how ever u activate the juice,you just want the relay to kill power when its activated by power to t brake
Old 06-15-2004, 09:40 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use it between your WOT switch and ground, arm switch and power, dosnt matter. Just use the normally closed contacts on the relay so when you apply power to the trans brake solenoid it powers the relay and breaks the connection to whatever switch you use. Let go of the brake and it makes connection. I prefer to use them on the WOT switch, less current draw depending how its wired..
Old 06-15-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the help. I'm getting anxious to get this all together!