Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noticed something odd here

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016 | 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Noticed something odd here

So, I was reading through some threads about tire width...315 35 r17 to be exact. What struck me as odd was any comment or thread advocating using 9-9.5 rim was to be deleted/thread locked due to safety concerns, but we have a whole section dedicated to "street racing kill stories". Can anyone help me understand why mounting 315s on narrow rims is condemned, but we have a whole section dedicated to the illegal activity of street racing?
Old 03-28-2016 | 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

To add to the irony even more.... you make this thread indicating that you have an opinion on safety, but then make a post asking how you can pilot your car into the 9 second range without a certified cage. lol
Old 03-28-2016 | 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
To add to the irony even more.... you make this thread indicating that you have an opinion on safety, but then make a post asking how you can pilot your car into the 9 second range without a certified cage. lol
I'm discovering more and more on this board, that reading comprehension is next to nothing around here. If you go back and read (try doing it very slowthis time) you will see that I'm not offering an opinion about safety. What you WILL see is a QUESTION about why one area is scrutinized, and another is embraced.
Old 03-28-2016 | 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Game ova
So, I was reading through some threads about tire width...315 35 r17 to be exact. What struck me as odd was any comment or thread advocating using 9-9.5 rim was to be deleted/thread locked due to safety concerns, but we have a whole section dedicated to "street racing kill stories". Can anyone help me understand why mounting 315s on narrow rims is condemned, but we have a whole section dedicated to the illegal activity of street racing?
The street racers use the correct width wheel
Old 03-28-2016 | 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
The street racers use the correct width wheel
Old 04-06-2016 | 12:36 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

I have been lobbying to try to eliminate the street ricing section for years,
Fwiw.
Old 04-06-2016 | 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Not that you don't have access to Google or not that they have dedicated websites to find the right tire width..

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/ty...ize-calculator

If disagree with what is the norm or recommended thing people tell you on this site, nobody is forcing you to come here.

-Mark
Old 04-06-2016 | 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Not that you don't have access to Google or not that they have dedicated websites to find the right tire width..

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/ty...ize-calculator

If disagree with what is the norm or recommended thing people tell you on this site, nobody is forcing you to come here.

-Mark
Look stupid, I'm not disagreeing with running the correct wheel size for the tire that a person is running. What I DID say, was that it is odd that wheel/tire width is a serious hot button.....but street racing is welcomed with open arms AND there is a section dedicated to it. Get off your freaking high horse guy. I don't need you telling me where to go....when.....or anything else.
Old 04-06-2016 | 11:34 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
I LOL'd at this since I was in the other thread too.

There's asking a legitimate question, and then there's poking the bear. I was with you on the other thread, but I would tread lightly asking questions like this that you already know the answer to.
Old 04-06-2016 | 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I have been lobbying to try to eliminate the street ricing section for years,
Fwiw.
Why ?
Old 04-06-2016 | 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Why ?
Can post examples for days.
Old 04-06-2016 | 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

So you think getting rid of the srk section is going to stop street racing ? Ok then......
Old 04-06-2016 | 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

So you think getting rid of the srk section is going to stop street racing ? Ok then......
Nope, won't stop it. Never once said it would.
Old 04-06-2016 | 06:54 PM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

Nope I do t think it's going to stop it but I do think talking about it in an open public forum, and the bullshit ricer mentality that comes along with it is not needed on a TECH site.

It's a traffic point for the site nothing more, nothing less that's all it is. If not for that, it would have been dumped a long time ago. As a super mod that's been here for years,
I can tell you that as fact.

As for 315 tires on a 9 inch rim people do it all the time. Is it unsafe? Likely yeah, a 10 inch rim I can tell you for sure, they fit ok on without a rediculous bulge. Not the 11 people recommend but they fit and I wouldn't call it unsafe. 9 inch, from the looks, the tire isn't happy.
Old 04-07-2016 | 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Look stupid, I'm not disagreeing with running the correct wheel size for the tire that a person is running. What I DID say, was that it is odd that wheel/tire width is a serious hot button.....but street racing is welcomed with open arms AND there is a section dedicated to it. Get off your freaking high horse guy. I don't need you telling me where to go....when.....or anything else.
This is no doubt at least part of your issue. The inherent chip on your shoulder.
Old 04-07-2016 | 08:59 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

I like the street racing section... i like all sections of this site.

I figured out a long time ago the srk section was a great traffic maker for you guys. No thanks needed

Now if you have the srk or not it's not gonna stop street racing. So that crusade is not needed. I do not always agree with where some race myself and have said so. Most causing the accidents are not even real street racers....they are yoyo's driving junk that shouldn't even bother racing. Every time i see guys blast through a intersection i cringe.

Op you are better off with either a narrower tire or wider rim. The contact patch and wear of the tire whuch will ultimately mean more traction will work better for you. Sticking the widest tire you can get on the rim typically wears the sidewall out quicker and does nothing for performance.
Old 04-07-2016 | 01:20 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Good tech info in here.
Old 04-07-2016 | 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This is no doubt at least part of your issue. The inherent chip on your shoulder.
Nope, no chip. Just tired of idiots trying to "set people straight ", all the while making silly accusations. If people would just READ, and quit trying to be so quick to blast other people...things would go better.
Old 04-07-2016 | 01:38 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Yeah really, kinda goes along with banning the 2nd amendment because of a few patsys. Nice mentality to want something taken away because someone else doesn't like it. Do they even America bro?
Old 04-07-2016 | 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nope, no chip. Just tired of idiots trying to "set people straight ", all the while making silly accusations. If people would just READ, and quit trying to be so quick to blast other people...things would go better.
You are on the internet. The internet is filled with idiots. You seem reasonably intelligent, and my judgement tells me youve probably used the internet long enough to figure this out. So why the need for the thread? Truth be told you came to bitch. So I ask, why the chip? Code phrase for the above. Hint: there really is no right answers, my questions are rhetorical.

Quick Reply: Noticed something odd here