Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fastest 8.8 rear with TA

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a Moser 9" in my 1992 Camaro. For the money, it was the best option for me.

However, the 8.8 is not a bad rear. It is just not suited for a Third or Fourth Gen F-Body.

It is a strong rear and the Explorer 8.8 is plentiful in junkyards. The weak link is the clutch disc kit in the Traction Lok. The Ford Posi Units are notorious for burning up the posi clutch discs. Once this happens, it will operate like an open rear-end.

It looks like this kit will solve the problem caused by Ford's organic and carbon fiber clutch discs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162033041421...84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by Camaros-n-Chevelles; 05-21-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaros-n-Chevelles
I used a Moser 9" in my 1992 Camaro. For the money, it was the best option for me.

However, the 8.8 is not a bad rear. It is just not suited for a Third or Fourth Gen F-Body.

It is a strong rear and the Explorer 8.8 is plentiful in junkyards. The weak link is the clutch disc kit in the Traction Lok. The Ford Posi Units are notorious for burning up the posi clutch discs. Once this happens, it will operate like an open rear-end.

It looks like this kit will solve the problem caused by Ford's organic and carbon fiber clutch discs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162033041421...84.m1555.l2649
I've never had a problem with a Trac-Lok. It's a pretty good do-it-all diff IMO. It's not the best for any one thing but it works pretty well for cars built to handle, it's not bad for DR'ing, it's very streetable, etc.

Like any diff that uses clutches they can and will eventually wear out, but they're pretty easy and cheap to rebuild. Also I haven't heard of too many people having problems with their Trac-Loks running the carbon fiber discs that were introduced in the Terminators having problems with premature disc failure. I'm sure they will eventually fail as well though.

My Lightning uses a 9.75" which is basically a larger 8.8" but at 170K it's Trac-Lok still works great.

Still a Trac-Lok isn't my favorite diff so I would use a different diff if I was to put a 8.8 in a FBody.

Quick Reply: Fastest 8.8 rear with TA