Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help out with some rear suspension theory...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help out with some rear suspension theory...

Ideally, the ride height of the car (gap between rear tire and fender) should not change upon launch. When this is the case, all of the energy in the rear suspension is being used to propel the car forward, instead of being spent compressing the spring or lifting the body. However, on a relativly small tire, this cannot always be achieved. In some cases, the body may have to seperate from the axle in order to apply enough downward force to keep the tire hooked. Madman?
Old 04-05-2002, 07:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the perfect world the rear suspension will cause a slight separation from the body at the hit. At that point the springs in the rear could theoretically be taken out. The car then is riding on rear suspension and the shocks. BUT we arent in a perfect world.

On most of these small tire cars you have to have a small amount of squat to load the rear tires.
Now we can confuse the issue with how important the front suspension is. We like alot of stored energy in the front of our stock eliminator cars to throw the front end up. This is how we get to the point where we dont have to get the rear to squat and make it separate.

225-343-9029
Old 04-05-2002, 06:03 PM
Launching!

OK, this from a newbie...Where is a good book or reference on suspension theory? This is a new hobby and I'm like a sponge. This is very interesting.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MADMAN:
<strong>
Now we can confuse the issue with how important the front suspension is. We like alot of stored energy in the front of our stock eliminator cars to throw the front end up. This is how we get to the point where we dont have to get the rear to squat and make it separate.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I uunderstand what you are saying here, but I may have my terminology a little confused here, about the word squat.

Here we go. You have the front suspension with no stored energy and the rear suspension set up to have a small amount of tire/chassis separation (rear suspension extension or rebound) on the 'hit' (trans break or stick car I assume we are talking about). You do a run and observe this happening. Then, for the next run, you crank up the preload on the front to store energy, and leave the rear alone. When the car does a wheel stand is it still squat?

In other words, is squat any time the car shifts weight rearward? Or is it 'built' into the tune of the rear suspension only?

ANDUANDI, the book you want is DOORSLAMMERS: THE CHASSIS BOOK. There isn't much about TQ arms and panhard bars but there is a TON of great info in here.

Also, does anyone else know of any other good books like that?

<small>[ April 05, 2002, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Rock ]</small>
Old 04-05-2002, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no, lifting the front end and transfering weight to the rear is not squatting. by "squat" we mean that the rear of the car actually moves downward (less gap between wheelwell and tire)
Old 04-06-2002, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

AndUAndI
I just did a search on Amazon to find books like THE CHASSIS BOOK the one match that comes close to it is Chassis Engineering/Chassis Design, Building & Tuning for High Performance Handling by Herb Adams
I don't know anything about it but if you go to http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1557880557/ref=pd_bxgy_text_2/104-9500149-71079 60 you can read 15 pages of it on line. If you like it thean buy it. Hope it helps some.

<small>[ April 06, 2002, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: 2000 Camaro SS ]</small>
Old 04-06-2002, 07:12 AM
Launching!

2000 SS...thank you
Old 04-06-2002, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 2000 Camaro SS:
<strong>AndUAndI
I just did a search on Amazon to find books like THE CHASSIS BOOK the one match that comes close to it is Chassis Engineering/Chassis Design, Building & Tuning for High Performance Handling by Herb Adams
I don't know anything about it but if you go to http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...500149-7107960 you can read 15 pages of it on line. If you like it thean buy it. Hope it helps some.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This book is OK, but DOORSLAMMERS is better for dragracing. The one you mentioned is more oriented for road course cars.

Quick Reply: Help out with some rear suspension theory...