Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCU with out ECU question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BCU with out ECU question..

it might be a dumb question but I have got conflicting advise on this one. simple question - on a 98 v6 Camaro that's been turned in to a race car, i'm using all Holley stuff not using the factory ECU and dash. I want the power windows, locks, and lights to work, do I have to just rewire the whole car direct or will the BCU still function enough to do these things?

thanks!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can just take the ecu and engine harness out and everything else will still function separately. My car was done this way and everything worked without it. I just took it all out to save weight and get rid of unneeded mess.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-30-2016, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

that's what I wanted to hear! thanks!
Old 07-03-2016, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything other than an ignition source needed when removing the whole PCM and switching to like a stand alone? I apologize if that doesn't make sense. I'd like to switch to a standalone, and more than likely will if it's literally a rip it out situation. Thanks in advance
Old 07-05-2016, 01:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I really didn't have to run any other wiring. My battery is in the back so I had to run my main hot wire to the starter, then tapped a 4ga wire from there up to the main power feed terminal of the fuse box. Everything still worked in the car without a pcm or engine harness

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I used a pair of DPDT momentary switches to open/close my windows, no issues at all. Lights I have them all being wired when the car gets wired, I'm using the running lights to signal the ign. is powered, center brake light to signal transbrake is on, reverse lights for when nitrous stages come on, although these will be on a switch to break ground on them when I want to for grudge stuff.

interior light I'm putting on a switch, no headlights in my t/a anymore but there will be a pair of extremely bright LED fog lights that will serve as headlights. Brake lights will work and are triggered off a pressure switch on the rear brake line.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: BCU with out ECU question..