Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street car to track car conversion. Do you regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016 | 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Rene'sRage pretty much sums it up i figure.
Old 08-04-2016 | 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

F-Bodies are cheap. Just buy two. Lol Then you can really strip one down to make it fast. While still having one to cruise. Best of both worlds. Cuz you know, most will start out as being a street car. Lol It never ends.
Old 08-04-2016 | 02:09 PM
Launching!

2 cars is the way to go. Although driving a race car on the street is a blast, I couldn't do it everyday. I took my Bug for a 50 mile drive yesterday and got my fix for the week. Lots of noise, nice stiff ride, very hot inside, super touchy steering, (put an EVO to shame without even downshifting) call it white knuckle driving = not good for long drives. But yes I enjoyed every minute of it. Would not do it every day though. Hopped back in the DD today and it was a completely different world... in a good way.
Old 08-04-2016 | 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by stumped1215
"i'd rather have a fast street car than a slow race car"
x2.....
Old 08-04-2016 | 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

Just curious, what is considered fast
Old 08-04-2016 | 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nj02z
That's just a matter of opinion. To a soccer mom that has driven mini vans her whole life then I bring her for a ride in my low 12's car she will absolutely be blown away and probably be screaming at me to slow down lol.

Now to me I think my car is quick but starting to feel slow.
I would have to say most the members on here would say my car is slow when they are driving 10 second cars that trap 130+ mph. So imo it's just a matter of opinion

If you were to ask me, here is my gauge lol
12's - Fast
11's - super fast
10's - very fast
9's - extremely fast
8's - Insane

Last edited by 98CayenneT/A; 08-04-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2016 | 04:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nj02z
As 98CayenneT/A said, its going to come down to your own opinion.

My opinion for a daily driver, I would say high 10s to low 11s.
Old 08-04-2016 | 04:09 PM
9 Second Club

Mine was pretty much a streetcar up until this year. Now it has a cage, harnesses, gutted dash, bumper exhaust, etc. When it had the 76mm turbo and full exhaust I enjoyed it a lot. It went high 9's like that but wasn't safe doing it without a cage. It's quite a bit faster now but not near as comfortable to drive on the street all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love driving it and do so a couple of times a week to work when it's not 90+ with the humidity to match. There are things I can still do to make it more street friendly though.

If I had the means I would buy a C5/C6 or a 6th Gen Camaro just to cruise in and beat on. I drive my Camaro like a Grandma on the streets now in fear of getting pulled over and ticketed for everything.

I don't necessarily regret making the car what it is now, but wish I would have done some things differently.
Old 08-04-2016 | 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will never lose the street of my car. I dont wanna be a slave to the track to enjoy my toy. I dont mind it on the ragged edge, no creature comforts, loud exhaust, but I think for me OD, full interior, wipers, tags, and the ability to drive around in traffic is a must for me to keep. I still trailer it to the track as a luxury.
Old 08-04-2016 | 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is where the definition of race car and street car come in to play
Old 08-05-2016 | 09:55 AM
9 Second Club

A street car to me is a car that can be tagged and insured. Go through inspection if required in your town. Not be pull over for a violation, only for speeding of course. LOL!
Old 08-06-2016 | 02:47 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I will never lose the street of my car. I dont wanna be a slave to the track to enjoy my toy. I dont mind it on the ragged edge, no creature comforts, loud exhaust, but I think for me OD, full interior, wipers, tags, and the ability to drive around in traffic is a must for me to keep. I still trailer it to the track as a luxury.
You got the right idea man. Based on your expressed knowledge on the subject of race cars, you don't really have any business attempting to campaign a race car. Stick to your street car shenanigans.
Old 08-06-2016 | 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
A street car to me is a car that can be tagged and insured. Go through inspection if required in your town. Not be pull over for a violation, only for speeding of course. LOL!
Heck I got two street cars then
Old 08-06-2016 | 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blown06
You got the right idea man. Based on your expressed knowledge on the subject of race cars, you don't really have any business attempting to campaign a race car. Stick to your street car shenanigans.
JL says I cant fight with you. However, you know where to find me.
Old 08-06-2016 | 07:11 PM
9 Second Club

You two need a room
Old 08-06-2016 | 08:56 PM
Banned

The more you try to merge street with strip or track performance the more expensive it becomes. There are some vehicles out there with 2000+whp and great fuel economy for long distance cruising.

A pure track car... you can really go crazy with the gear, the weight, the transmission. No need for overdrive, no need for economy, drivetrain parts start to get cheaper and cheaper when you throw out mileage as a concern.

For street cars, If I desire below 550rwhp... I go with an OEM longblock 5.XL engine, and mostly leave it stock internal. You can refresh it or whatever but the goal here is to invest maybe $2000 MAX into the engine(s). You can pick up a couple of them 5.XL engines for 2k~ and keep a spare. There is a good chance the first one will fail, regardless of whether it is built or not, due to a tuning or oiling error that will teach you a lesson for the next engine. The real $$ goes into the transmission and rear end, you will spend more on a good automatic and a good rear than on the engine. That is the heart of the daily driver(street cars). The rest of the funds go into the turbocharger system; it must be elegant: this is the meat and potatoes of the economical street car, a well put together, coated, wrapped, blanketed, turbo system. The underhood temps need to stay down so you blanket and coat everything you can see. Methanol keeps the inlet temps down if you are using 93 octane. High quality gaskets/seals and a good crankcase ventilation setup will help control oil emissions. Ideally you will record crankcase pressure (nobody does this) but it will help you keep an "eye" on the oil seals of the engine and the action under the rings, which I find paramount in a boosted application.
Old 08-06-2016 | 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Mine was a 6 speed H/C/I street car, and then I started the long and slow process of turning it into an 8 second track car. I don't regret it at all. For me, I am just too addicted to speed. Feeling my car plant almost 1000whp off the line to 1.2X sixty foots is a feeling that you will never forget. Now that I have experienced it, driving around 11 or 12 second street cars is just boring to me. I have a cam/stall/bolt-on AWD TBSS, probably a high 12 second truck, and I can literally watch my laptop while tuning when doing WOT runs. It's that boring. lol. In the 8 second car however, you cannot look at a SINGLE thing while in the middle of a run, except the road in front of you. My buddy will ask me, "Hey, what was your boost and afr on that last run." Im like, I have no idea, I will have to check the logs, because I was only looking at the road. I am proud to say that my Firebird scares me every time I drive it, and that is exactly what I wanted out of it.
This is crazy what you just said is the plans I day dream about for my own car. That is exactly what I want. I want my car to scare me then I can stop putting money in it to go faster. Just money on maintenance.
Old 08-07-2016 | 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kingtal0n

A pure track car... you can really go crazy with the gear, the weight, the transmission. No need for overdrive, no need for economy, drivetrain parts start to get cheaper and cheaper when you throw out mileage as a concern.
This is what I mean when I think track car. Gutted fenders, door bars etc., spool, no OD, AC etc.
Old 08-07-2016 | 07:39 AM
9 Second Club

To me I've always built my car around it having good street manners first and then worry about track later. Sure I could make my car a track built car but to me if I no longer like driving it around and being comfortable with all the creature comforts, then I wouldn't want the car. Every mod i've done always comes to the same basic question before I pull the trigger. Will this make driving it less enjoyable. If no then I do it. If Yes I find something else.
Old 08-10-2016 | 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I prefer a good running street car over a stripped down racecar hands down. Having a vehicle you can only drive at the track doesn't really appeal to most, including myself. Seems like when people turn their car into a racecar, it suddenly takes a team of 10 people to stage the car, then it takes a four wheeler to go recover the thing on the return road. Too much work....takes away from the fun.

Quick Reply: Street car to track car conversion. Do you regret it?