Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight reduction mods without gutting interior

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 03:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default weight reduction mods without gutting interior

i got a 98 camaro ls1 all bolt ons waiting on money for a yank ss4000 as far as suspension i have LCAs and relocations, plus subframe connectors now i want to work on weight reduction but i do not want it to look like a drag car are there many hidden weight reductions i can do? i have a/c an i definitely want to keep that also leather interior an love it
Old 08-03-2016, 03:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

again my main question is what weight reductions can i do without gutting my car i no this has been covered but i havent seen many people that wanted a nice car in the end.... any info is greatly appreciated
Old 08-03-2016, 04:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

If you don't want to gut too much of the everyday comforts of the car, a glass or carbon hood, front and rear lightweight bumper support (I have the Midwest chassis) and factory appearing front and rear lexan windows are a good start.

Do you really need carpet? It's just a dust trap. Think of your house, tiled or wood flooring versus carpet (respiratory death). I personally take the race car style steel floor and near 40 lbs gone anyday of the week.

There's a LOT on these cars you can do without and get used to the 3000 lbs of fast goodness.

Who needs ABS? are you an old lady driving in snow that doesn't know how to drive? then you need ABS. I don't need ABS.

Lightweight wheels and front suspension. Begin with wheels, then lower control arms.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lol I will probly leave the carpet an I definitely understand replacing the windows will save money but that will probly be pretty expensive. . I am interested in the abs how do I delete that
Old 08-03-2016, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

Use the search function. My 94 has different ABS to your 98. There are several ways to go about it. Someone sells a kit to remove the ABS, I forget their name now.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

SJM ABS delete kit
Old 08-03-2016, 07:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

There is weight all over these cars. My rw was about 3250 last time out and i had 3/4 tank of gas and the jack/soare in it. That's full interior with front race seats, all amenities in tack. I think 3150 rw would be doable.....maybe a little less.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I'm just looking for stuff to take out that no one will notice an not to look like a gutted drag car
Old 08-03-2016, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flawless02SS
SJM ABS delete kit
Yeah that's the one.

to the OP
There is a weight reduction 'list' on here somewhere if you search, it has the approx. weight of every item
Old 08-03-2016, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightweight carpet, black sound deadener attached to floor, rear seat and belts possibly, I took out hvac also but still have a heater and went with Kirkeys. Lots of weight to come out of interior. I dropped right around 295lbs off the car this winter but added a 70lb cage, and it is not cut up or gutted looking. It was worth a solid 2 tenths and 2.5mph in the 1/4 mile.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many places to take weight out of these cars you can start with tubular bumper supports, fiberglass hood and deck lid, if its a T-top car you can put a carbon fiber roof on it you can also put a tubular k-member and lower a-arms the list could really go on.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't want it to look like a "drag car" you have to spend the money or lose some amenities. It cost just as much to lose weight as it does adding power it seems, so what is your budget is the key component. The big things to not only lose weight, but also help improve the cars abilities are the simple and obvious

Tubular front k-member with tubular A-Arms, lightweight wheels, FAB 9in from MWC with all lightweight components, and fiberglass hood, carbon fiber driveshaft

Then tubular front bumper support, ABS delete, take carpet out and take the sound pad off and re install, go to an exhaust that stops at the rear end, take the heat shields off the back of car once you put the new exhaust on, go SD tune, do wire re work for what you taken out, smaller battery, relocate fuse blocks into behind the dash during rewiring, cut out door bars inside the doors,

Those are just to name a few and there is ALOT more just depends on your budget and how crazy you want to get with it.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SCott5
If you don't want it to look like a "drag car" you have to spend the money or lose some amenities. It cost just as much to lose weight as it does adding power it seems, so what is your budget is the key component. The big things to not only lose weight, but also help improve the cars abilities are the simple and obvious

Tubular front k-member with tubular A-Arms, lightweight wheels, FAB 9in from MWC with all lightweight components, and fiberglass hood, carbon fiber driveshaft

Then tubular front bumper support, ABS delete, take carpet out and take the sound pad off and re install, go to an exhaust that stops at the rear end, take the heat shields off the back of car once you put the new exhaust on, go SD tune, do wire re work for what you taken out, smaller battery, relocate fuse blocks into behind the dash during rewiring, cut out door bars inside the doors,

Those are just to name a few and there is ALOT more just depends on your budget and how crazy you want to get with it.

Good post SCott5, After you lighten one of these cars you realize why everyone has a Foxbody Mustang
Old 08-03-2016, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Big *** weight reduction thread at the top of this section. Read all of it, make it your bible. Ive got a bunch of weights and pics in it. My car currently sits at 3040 completely stock appearance on 18 inch wheels. I wanted the same thing you do, light but looks pretty stock.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
Good post SCott5, After you lighten one of these cars you realize why everyone has a Foxbody Mustang
Exactly. Then once you get it light you have to start adding weight back when your safety features start being needed. It can be done but it cost $$$ to make it not look like a race car. Now if you wanna go race status it is super easy and cheaper to a point.

I also forgot to add light weight brakes from strange or aerospace, light weight spindles, take fenders off and cut out that metal under those and then reinstall. Also be aware that down aftermarket parts do add weight but are needed, torque arm for example.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
There are many places to take weight out of these cars you can start with tubular bumper supports, fiberglass hood and deck lid, if its a T-top car you can put a carbon fiber roof on it you can also put a tubular k-member and lower a-arms the list could really go on.
i have a t-top car wondering where you can get a carbon fiber roof? and how much weight does a aftermarket deck lib save?
Old 08-09-2016, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Midwest chassis who you quoted sells them and they are located on their website if I'm not mistaken
Old 08-14-2016, 07:18 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wish someone would come out with a carbon replacement piece that would just replace the t top glass, so you didn't have to convert the car over and could just replace the glass of a t top with a carbon piece. Save a bunch there and be an easy thing to do....

As said there's lots of weight that can go.

I do t like the no carpet look I think it ruins the street car appearance, but ozite is a god alternative. I've installed it in about 50 cars and it's a 30 to 35 lb sack ga without ruining the look.

I out it in my 25.3 chassis race car. Believe me I'm after weight in it... But not enough to worry about the 5 lbs of ozite that's in it.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=JL ws-6;19357860]I wish someone would come out with a carbon replacement piece that would just replace the t top glass, so you didn't have to convert the car over and could just replace the glass of a t top with a carbon piece. Save a bunch there and be an easy thing to do....

Feather Carbon
Old 08-14-2016, 12:29 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Have anyone you know that's installed them?

Quick Reply: weight reduction mods without gutting interior