Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Shock question

I am looking to buy a set of shocks for my 99 Camaro. It's an auto procharged car. So my question is this.

Is a good quality SA Shock on front and back better than a cheaper DA or is the fact that a DA is always better?

Is DA actually needed on front and back or would a DA front and SA rear work well enough for an AUto car.
Here is what I am looking at

1. Strange SA front and rear
2. Viking DA front and smooth body DA rear
3. Strange DA front and SA rear
4. Viking DA front/rear coilovers

The 1st setup obviously is the best to fit in my budget. And had me thinking of buying the setup to help with finishing the rest of the car and then upgrading to Afcos once the budget allows.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your option #1 is what I have...60's 1.46 in a full weight car.
I'm no expert but I've "heard" SA is sufficient for auto cars and DA for stick cars. SA's work for me.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My thinking is the front basically lifts, and needs control for that the most, the rear may lift or squat depending on setup, making the DA a better choice for the rear. I went with coil overs x4 because ride height was important to me for looks. Some people dont care about that though.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the rear you absolutely want the DA.
If you go with the SA in the front, you'll more than likely end up pissed off down the road that you didn't just get the DA right off the bat (ask me how I know) but they're not ESSENTIAL.

As far as the rear coil over thing the only real plus is the ride height adjustment. Best of luck.

Edit: Vikings are fantastic
Old 09-25-2016, 07:12 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Viking DA on the front and QA1 SA on the rear. I normally cut 1.3-1.4 60' and most of the adjustment has come with the front shocks to get it to hook. Anything you do will be an improvement.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have option 4 and no regrets doing so. You'll have the most flexibility and options going that route in my opinion.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Four corner DA coil over will always be your best bet for any performance based application.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Viking DA shocks are a great way to go for the price!

Aaron @ Scoggin Dickey Parts Center
Email:Aaron387@sdparts.com
Phone: 1-800-456-0211 Ext: 324
Old 09-27-2016, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SCott5
I am looking to buy a set of shocks for my 99 Camaro. It's an auto procharged car. So my question is this.

Is a good quality SA Shock on front and back better than a cheaper DA or is the fact that a DA is always better?

Is DA actually needed on front and back or would a DA front and SA rear work well enough for an AUto car.
Here is what I am looking at

1. Strange SA front and rear
2. Viking DA front and smooth body DA rear
3. Strange DA front and SA rear
4. Viking DA front/rear coilovers

The 1st setup obviously is the best to fit in my budget. And had me thinking of buying the setup to help with finishing the rest of the car and then upgrading to Afcos once the budget allows.

This is a very subjective question, but I will answer it the best I can. Most of it depends on your budget and how serious you are about racing the car. In short, a double adjustable coilover is always the best option. This always gives the ultimate amount of adjustability to compensate for track conditions, setup changes etc. However, these obviously come at a higher cost.
Automatic cars are a lot more forgiving when it comes to rear shocks. You can go much farther with a single adjustable than you can with a stick car before needing doubles. Vikings are your best bang for the buck double adjustable option. They are not much more than Strange or Qa1 single adjustables. Especially the smooth body shocks.
If you are on a budget, but still want the best performing setup you can get for your range, I would go with the coilover front and smooth body rears. If budget allows, I would opt for the coilovers in the back too, but if not the smooth body rears will take you pretty far as well

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jlrz28
I have Viking DA on the front and QA1 SA on the rear. I normally cut 1.3-1.4 60' and most of the adjustment has come with the front shocks to get it to hook. Anything you do will be an improvement.
Care to explain a little further? My car is fairly easy off the line (auto and foot brake) and on c10 r0 the front comes up and it hooks. I tried c10 r8 and it spun and the front stayed down. Could definitely feel the difference. I was gonna cut it in half at r4 and see how it felt but then I thought, why not just stay at r0? Seems at modest lower levels the fronts can stay put bc you always want max lift. That seem correct?
Old 09-30-2016, 03:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

sub'd
Old 09-30-2016, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are your goals with the car? It's the easiest way out to just answer a question with, "Uhhh, just buy the most expensive parts you can buy." Everybody knows that. But to put it in perspective, I have cut 1.25 sixtys with my car, and ran it to the tun of the times in my signature with all 4 corners SA shocks. And I have seen no signs of the fact that my car is at a disadvantage because it doesn't have a DA shock.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the comp 3-way rear shocks with pro-kit springs. Best I've only been able to do is 1.55 60' and that was on bottle
Old 09-30-2016, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
What are your goals with the car? It's the easiest way out to just answer a question with, "Uhhh, just buy the most expensive parts you can buy." Everybody knows that. But to put it in perspective, I have cut 1.25 sixtys with my car, and ran it to the tun of the times in my signature with all 4 corners SA shocks. And I have seen no signs of the fact that my car is at a disadvantage because it doesn't have a DA shock.
The thing of it is you can purchase Viking D/A for less than most S/A from any other company. Why would you not purchase D/A then if you need shocks?

You will never hear anyone complain about having to much shock control but you will definitely hear people wish they had more.

Granted we talk to 100's of people a week about this subject, there is a reason you never hear MWC slowed my car down now what.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
The thing of it is you can purchase Viking D/A for less than most S/A from any other company. Why would you not purchase D/A then if you need shocks?

You will never hear anyone complain about having to much shock control but you will definitely hear people wish they had more.

Granted we talk to 100's of people a week about this subject, there is a reason you never hear MWC slowed my car down now what.
I agree, Viking makes some value priced shocks. I bought all 4 of my SA second hand. So that was my reasoning.

Quick Reply: Shock question